• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cost of new lite weight hood on turbos vs the cost of a new airbox

was1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
How many people have broken the door latch post up top on the clutch side resulting in the having to buy a new airbox ? I have done 2 so far, one on my machine and one on my sons. Was looking at a new turbo at the dealers and noticed they now have a hole in the hood which the post goes through so no more breaking the airbox . Awesome, so i got a price for the hood as now if the post breaks off it could possibly take a piece of the hood with it. Was told under 200 dollars. Hey, not to bad! Just looked at the catalog and lite weight hood is over 1000 dollars canadian. Someone please tell me im wrong, either pricewise or this hood wont break out where the post goes through! Looking at 2 new turbos and this isnt helping stomaching the cost of them! Found a place who makes a door latch bracket u can put on instead of the airbox. POWDERFREAKS, 29.95 , much cheaper than a new airbox but this new hood realy has me thinking.

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
The hood on my new turbo is extremely flexible where the post is mounted now. It is so flexible in that area that it is actually floppy. I don’t think it is very possible for it to break with impact like the old ones. Thank goodness.

was1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear. Was hoping someone with a new turbo would come on and say what their experience was with it!

was1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
That is what im going to use with the post that is currently broken, not sure if it would work on the turbo hood

Premium Features