• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buff Pass conditions

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I wish some trailheads out west could or would set up booths and charge a daily trail fee and groom daily. I would GLADLY pay $10 each day to have a nicely groomed trail.

I hear the snow is incredible now, gotta be getting tracked out tho I assume.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Public Service Announcement ... If you ARE NOT camping in the Muddy Creek lot, PLEASE for the love of God don't just leave your trailers parked up there while you're somewhere else a week+ at a time.

Muddy%20Creek%201.jpg

recent
Muddy%20Creek%202.jpg

I think the simple fact of the matter is that people haven't done a very good job of 'self policing' if you will the last several years, but this year has been particularly ridiculous, and the fear is that the USFS is about ready to just kabash overnight camping at Muddy Creek entirley ending the decades-old tradition of being able to do so up there.

Simple ask from the locals - Use your brain and don't ruin it for everyone else leaving your **** parked there weeks at a time.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I wish some trailheads out west could or would set up booths and charge a daily trail fee and groom daily. I would GLADLY pay $10 each day to have a nicely groomed trail.

I hear the snow is incredible now, gotta be getting tracked out tho I assume.
If 20 people rode that $200 would even run the groomer for 2 hours. Now you also have to pay someone to administer the payment policy and provide a kiosk for payment. It's not as simple as paying a few bucks for grooming every day.

Makes you wonder what they do with our $30. Sure isn't used for marking the trail either.
It's not hidden information. That money goes to Colorado State Parks and Wildlife. The money is distributed to CSA (Colorado Snowmobile Association) clubs for the purpose of grooming, groomer maintenance, trail maintenance and capital purchases such as the grooming equipment. So, your $30 is just a tiny addition. If everyone would pay their sled registrations there would be more grooming.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If 20 people rode that $200 would even run the groomer for 2 hours. Now you also have to pay someone to administer the payment policy and provide a kiosk for payment. It's not as simple as paying a few bucks for grooming every day.

It's not hidden information. That money goes to Colorado State Parks and Wildlife. The money is distributed to CSA (Colorado Snowmobile Association) clubs for the purpose of grooming, groomer maintenance, trail maintenance and capital purchases such as the grooming equipment. So, your $30 is just a tiny addition. If everyone would pay their sled registrations there would be more grooming.
Out here now. The trail is HORRIBLE as always and there are hundreds of people riding daily during the week. I sure don’t think the grooming would be any worse with daily trail passes. I own and operate heavy equipment for a living, I understand the cost to operate it.

Yeah theres places where 20 people ride each day… and those places don’t need to be groomed daily. Its the ones with heavy traffic where the pay booth would work.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
The problem can be fixed if guys would ride the trail wider. F’n South Dakota guys love beating a single track all the way up and the whoops spread out wider after they are created. Hold the throttle wfo and whoop it like a moto track and they smooth out. ?

S
Dec 30, 2007
SD
Hey, easy on the South Dakotas guys now. I rode against the rocks on one side or the trees on the other, can't get much wider.

Need some 8' slip on skis to bridge those whoops!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah I wish they'd groom the trails up there more too that way people wouldn't ever venture off them and leave that much more snow for the rest of us hahahahah

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Sled trip season is over for the most part just locals riding now but be very carful if you are venturing out this weekend. Currently 40&14 are closed but grizzly can still be accessed via 125. county road 24/grizzly parking currently has about 5 feet in the lot and several groups are stranded in the lot tonight. Jackson county waits until after storms to plow county roads which maybe in the morning or not until Sunday morning.

It’s been one hell of a year for us locals be safe and see ya up there tomorrow.

Premium Features