• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado Reports

jd524

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2013
Central Minnesota
Any reports after some of the latest snow for Rabbit Ears, Yellow Jacket, Ripple Creek, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Rabbit ears was a little better than buff. 16-36 inches fresh just have to find the right pocket of snow. The old tracks/ice underneath will jerk you around pretty good. Base between the two seems similar (3-5 feet) which is abnormal due to a slightly more southern storm track this year. Snow condensed and blew away a lot last night yesterday was 25-40 fresh. Very heavily tracked by this afternoon.

Most of the grand county areas have 10-18 fresh with 20-40 inch bases and lots of sharks. Be safe.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Avy danger was high all over the Park range so we just dinked around in the flatter areas ... it was still worth dealing with I70 :)

Base should be good to go basically everywhere in CO after this last weekend.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Yup it got hot this weekend. Buff/ears has very good base now but snow is getting pretty solid. Grand county areas were pretty good this weekend had firsthand experience at a few of them and can’t complain. Southern Co is looking very thin based off of “friend of friend” and snotels.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Why can’t Colorado plow roads or groom trails anymore? It used to be that roads were plowed by 5 and plowing continued if it snowed. Now the front range gets taken care, most of the towns and 70 too but nothing else gets plowed until the middle of the day.

Rode Buff Pass today snow was really good but the 7 miles of 2-4 ft rollers put a toll on the body. I don’t know for certain what is going on but I’ve heard something about the forest service forcing the groomers to move shop in December and now they can’t get fuel permits for their new spot.

Colorado has really good base north of I-70 now can’t speak about south because I haven’t been. Grand county has been really good but refuses to plow anything so you better get there before Denver comes and gets stuck. Rabbit ears and buff are average now which is also very good.

I sure am glad I paid for these wolves instead of proper snow removal though.
Rant over

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Why can’t Colorado plow roads or groom trails anymore? It used to be that roads were plowed by 5 and plowing continued if it snowed. Now the front range gets taken care, most of the towns and 70 too but nothing else gets plowed until the middle of the day.

Rode Buff Pass today snow was really good but the 7 miles of 2-4 ft rollers put a toll on the body. I don’t know for certain what is going on but I’ve heard something about the forest service forcing the groomers to move shop in December and now they can’t get fuel permits for their new spot.

Colorado has really good base north of I-70 now can’t speak about south because I haven’t been. Grand county has been really good but refuses to plow anything so you better get there before Denver comes and gets stuck. Rabbit ears and buff are average now which is also very good.

I sure am glad I paid for these wolves instead of proper snow removal though.
Rant over

About a month ago when we got that really big storm over the course of 3 days and it dumped like 50" or whatever .... We were trying to ride out of Dumont that sunday. We got to the lot about 8:00am, of course it hadn't been plowed .... so we tried to drive in because we saw other trucks there, and yes, eventually we got stuck. Made it about half way through the lot, but yeah, got stuck .... so we dig the truck out and get it turned around, and noticed a CHP was parked on the side of the road guiding traffic PAST the lot so more people wouldn't try to get in and get stuck and block traffic.

Anyways, to make a long story short, we waited till about 9:30am or so, then finally the CDOT driver with the front loader shows up, plows the drive in ... CHP is still holding people off.

Dude plows the main drive then takes one pass down the lot, gets out of the loader and stands on the back of it and is sitting there smoking a cigarette for 15-20 minutes ... so this is like 10:30am or so .... Gets back in, plows MAYBE half the lot, gets out of the loaders, takes another cigarette break, then tells everyone "I have to be somewhere else" and drives off.

I couldn't f'ing believe it ..... How f'ing lazy do you have to be?

Gremon

Lifetime Membership
Apr 29, 2011
Colorado
Hey Chris, would you mind generating a couple of your snow total reports for the higher elevations around Colorado? I’d like to see how much we can expect between now and Monday, March 4th from Wolf Creek up through the flat tops and rabbit ears.
Thanks in advance!

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I'm headed down to the flat tops tomorrow to ride with the father-in-law, so I would also appreciate a snow report for that area. We'll be near Glenwood Springs.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
A little off topic here but did you Colorado guys hear about the skiing accident on Berthoud pass Monday? My Co-workers son’s lifelong friend tried gapping the highway on the Winter Park side and came up short and died on the asphalt. Don’t want any other rumors spread so I’ll spare the details just know a vehicle WAS NOT involved but it was very ugly. Kid was 20 and had been on the US ski team half his life. I know the road very well this spot has to be 30-40 feet from the face straight down to the ditch and 70-80 for a safe landing. RIP send prayers
IMG_2365.jpegIMG_2365.jpeg

Premium Features