• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bighorn Snow Conditions

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Haven’t been there this year, but mostly because the snotel sites say 18” at Burgess Junction and averaging just a little over 30” over 9,000 foot elevation. Looking at the WYDOT road cameras, looks like allot of vegetation still showing. I was hitting rocks there last year with way more snow. A road ride would be about it right now for me.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
Still not good. I know guys are finding a few pockets by Granite Pass but not much of anything else. I would continue to be a Snow Snob and not ride the Horns unless you want to have a repair bill afterwords.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Looks like you guys hit it just right. I talked to a couple different guys that went up out of Lovell
and it still sounded pretty sad.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
bkpa when are the pictures from? I'm planning to head there next Wednesday with the kids. If we can trail ride and play in a few meadows, we'll be happy.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

bkpa

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2012
Hartford, S.D.
South and East of Bear Lodge. We took P south to A. Rode A south and played right off the trail. You are basically between Granite Pass and Owen parking areas but on the east side of the highway. I had the same mindset as you. We had 5 16 year olds with us.

F
Feb 4, 2008
ND
Snow Forcast looks good for the horns this weekend. Everything is closed up top. Anyone have any Intel from up there? Is there enough base anywhere to make 2' of snow fun of that happens? I'm itching to ride even if it's just hitting meadows but scraping on sage doesn't sound appealing.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Snow Forcast looks good for the horns this weekend. Everything is closed up top. Anyone have any Intel from up there? Is there enough base anywhere to make 2' of snow fun of that happens? I'm itching to ride even if it's just hitting meadows but scraping on sage doesn't sound appealing.
From sounds of it a big storm is currently happening & snow forecast until Monday. It was really thin before this snow arrived though. Midweek forecast is calling for heavy winds. Sections of I90 near Gillette sound iffy for travelers Currently. Not sure if it would be worth the 14 hour drive for me.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I should be available Friday, let me know if you'll be around. Lovell side is closer to me, so that's great. I am still waiting on the voltage regulator that was supposed to have been here yesterday - Post Office bringing it strong... Hopefully it's here tomorrow; I might still be able to get by if it's not.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
The snow was still pretty good today pretty soft in the trees. Didn't adventure to far off the beaten path today20240411_125810.jpg20240411_132359.jpg20240411_141419.jpg20240411_142115.jpg since I was riding solo and I didn't see another sled or person all day.Screenshot_20240411_144743_Polaris.jpg

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Didn't ride today, got a bad roller in the cat clutch and the fuel pump is squealing on the polaris. It was pretty warm today I'm sure it didn't help the snow pack up top. There where a few trucks in sleds going up today.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Just got back from riding Thursday through Saturday. Temps were very warm. Trails around lodges are about gone lots of slush and water. Trail on highway west of Bearlodge completely gone. Ditch was full of water. Still good spring snow up higher but getting there is a challenge. Best bet right now is riding out of Granite Pass. Bearlodge is closed and Elkview has very limited hours.

Premium Features