• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

APRS for tracking

T
Is anyone ever using a APRS device for tracking friends while riding (or doing whatever)? Better yet has anyone made their tracking system with something like mobilinkd APRS? I love DIY stuff and carry a radio (Baofeng - I have 2). Yes I know you need a license outside of the standard FRS or GFRS. Thinking of getting a couple to allow tracking of a buddy.

T
what is aprs?
Automatic Package Reporting System - takes a digital packet and translate it to a radio wave and back again. Allows you to send packets of data via radio. So outside of cell service you can use it for gps tracking of friends (say your snowbiking buddies so you know where they are and they know where you are), you can text (although you can also just use the radio). It's used in the ham world for finding repeaters, tracking other ham's (moving or stationary), texting (useful when you just want to leave a message), can access email (send/receive) outside of cell/internet. The tracking is the most useful for snowbikers (or dirt bikers, or whatever).

There are fancy expensive systems you can buy (C3 has one for about $900CAD each), or there are various DIY systems such as mobilinkd (for $150 and others) that you have to connect to other components to do other tasks (mobilinkd requires you to have a radio and a cell phone/computer to complete the system, mobilinkd only translates packets both directions)

A
Nov 14, 2017
Ah, I see. I have the voyager with buddy tracking. It is actually pretty sweet. Limitations/drawbacks are:

- You are limited to the distance the radio signal can reach. You think it is a lot, but really when moving quickly (like on the trail, or in opposite directions on the mountain) its not a huge distance. Maybe 1-2kms... with line of sight.
- It only works when the voyager is on. So since we have them set to sleep after a short period (I think 10 seconds) you cannot see the person when they park/stop. It will show a marker where it "last saw" them, but its not something you rely on, since it always shows that whenever it loses their signal. So it is often wrong, since you quickly get out of range of that person.
- Setting it up and using it the voyager is a little complicated. Out of the 10 people I have ridden with who have a voyager I am the only one who knows how to set it up and use it. I have to go around and connect them all to the same group (for new people) and then troubleshoot and check them if that person cannot see others. Most people just dont seem to be tech savvy enough to even use the basic functions of the gps... let alone set them up to track friends.

The most useful scenarios are:

- Just when riding behind of ahead of someone. You can quickly glance down and see if they are where you think they are. No need to turn your head.
- When we have lost each other, I have used my radio to ask them to start their bike so I can look for them on the GPS. It has helped a couple times.

T
Ah, I see. I have the voyager with buddy tracking. It is actually pretty sweet. Limitations/drawbacks are:

- You are limited to the distance the radio signal can reach. You think it is a lot, but really when moving quickly (like on the trail, or in opposite directions on the mountain) its not a huge distance. Maybe 1-2kms... with line of sight.
- It only works when the voyager is on. So since we have them set to sleep after a short period (I think 10 seconds) you cannot see the person when they park/stop. It will show a marker where it "last saw" them, but its not something you rely on, since it always shows that whenever it loses their signal. So it is often wrong, since you quickly get out of range of that person.
- Setting it up and using it the voyager is a little complicated. Out of the 10 people I have ridden with who have a voyager I am the only one who knows how to set it up and use it. I have to go around and connect them all to the same group (for new people) and then troubleshoot and check them if that person cannot see others. Most people just dont seem to be tech savvy enough to even use the basic functions of the gps... let alone set them up to track friends.

The most useful scenarios are:

- Just when riding behind of ahead of someone. You can quickly glance down and see if they are where you think they are. No need to turn your head.
- When we have lost each other, I have used my radio to ask them to start their bike so I can look for them on the GPS. It has helped a couple times.
The benefit of a DIY version is you can use a better radio. I assume the Voyager uses the GFRS bands and limited to 1W power. Most people who have radios where I am are using Boefeng that covers all the bands and has 10W of power, replaceable antennae etc. The limit you are finding with the Voyager is from it's radio. Also if there are repeaters the Voyager cannot take advantage of them. In some of the versions of APS devices they can act as repeaters thus your buddies can help create a limited net. Not sure if the Voyager has that ability (it might). But technically you need a ham license (not that hard to get but most people don't bother). People around where I am know the bands being used in the area and choose a band that is far away from them.

But I guess if people can't figure out how to use a device designed for tracking they won't be interested in a DIY version that requires a bit more knowledge to setup and use. Too bad as a good radio would really increase it's range. You also can configure the number of updates it gets on position.

A
Nov 14, 2017
The benefit of a DIY version is you can use a better radio. I assume the Voyager uses the GFRS bands and limited to 1W power. Most people who have radios where I am are using Boefeng that covers all the bands and has 10W of power, replaceable antennae etc. The limit you are finding with the Voyager is from it's radio. Also if there are repeaters the Voyager cannot take advantage of them. In some of the versions of APS devices they can act as repeaters thus your buddies can help create a limited net. Not sure if the Voyager has that ability (it might). But technically you need a ham license (not that hard to get but most people don't bother). People around where I am know the bands being used in the area and choose a band that is far away from them.

But I guess if people can't figure out how to use a device designed for tracking they won't be interested in a DIY version that requires a bit more knowledge to setup and use. Too bad as a good radio would really increase it's range. You also can configure the number of updates it gets on position.

I would personally consider setting something up, but it would need to integrate with the Voyager. Otherwise I am not sure how you could view it while riding. I can't see how you could feasibly root the voyager and make a connection. That is beyond my paygrade for sure.

So I would say its a bit of a non-starter until a commercial outfit does it and makes it simple enough for your average iphone user to use.

T
I would personally consider setting something up, but it would need to integrate with the Voyager. Otherwise I am not sure how you could view it while riding. I can't see how you could feasibly root the voyager and make a connection. That is beyond my paygrade for sure.

So I would say its a bit of a non-starter until a commercial outfit does it and makes it simple enough for your average iphone user to use.
You don't need to integrate with Voyager.

If you get the mobilinkd (for example there are others) and the correct cable for your radio, you connect the APRS unit to your radio with your cable, you bluetooth to your phone (or similar device) to the APRS unit, run the app (mobilinkd has an app, other units I don't know) and configure it as the manual tells you to. Done. Voyager already is this system but all integrated, however you are limited to the radio built in Voyager. The screen is bigger than your phone and has a mount but you could use a small tablet and get a mount for that (there are rugged outdoor tablets available).

Basically if you have a good radio and don't mind a bit of setup you can get a better tracking system for way cheaper. Also if you don't need to see where your buddies are all the time you can just pull out your phone when you need to to see where they are rather than have it mounted to the bike. Remember the phone would be bluetoothed to the APRS unit.

Food for thought is all.

A
Nov 14, 2017
You don't need to integrate with Voyager.

If you get the mobilinkd (for example there are others) and the correct cable for your radio, you connect the APRS unit to your radio with your cable, you bluetooth to your phone (or similar device) to the APRS unit, run the app (mobilinkd has an app, other units I don't know) and configure it as the manual tells you to. Done. Voyager already is this system but all integrated, however you are limited to the radio built in Voyager. The screen is bigger than your phone and has a mount but you could use a small tablet and get a mount for that (there are rugged outdoor tablets available).

Basically if you have a good radio and don't mind a bit of setup you can get a better tracking system for way cheaper. Also if you don't need to see where your buddies are all the time you can just pull out your phone when you need to to see where they are rather than have it mounted to the bike. Remember the phone would be bluetoothed to the APRS unit.

Food for thought is all.

Ok I understand and do see that would be possible. Honestly the best way to use the technology is when riding and looking down at the map. Pulling out a phone to find someone would only happen if we HAD to find someone who is "lost". It would be occasional, and after a few tries if they couldn't see them immediately they would just say it is a piece of junk and never bother using it again.

9/10 times I use the voyager tracking is to look down quickly and see if my buddies are still behind me, or when I come to a "fork in the road" I look down to see which way they went ahead of me. Both are scenarios where you just want a quick look.

I still think that the only way I could get my buddies to use it is if you just "bought it". Someone would need to package a working system with a bar mounted tablet and very simple instructions.

Last year riding there was two guys I hadn't met before. Father and son, great riders, both mechanical for sure - they had modified bikes that were very well put together by them. They both had Voyagers and both of them had them open to the "media" screen. This screen is for motorcycle riders (I assume) so they can connect their phone and control spotify on the highway rides. They had literally ridden for a year with just the media screen... and the son said "that thing is a piece of ****... it never shows me where I am". This experience is pretty much the norm as far as I can tell. Tech savvy people are the minority out on the mountains LOL

M
Jan 14, 2004
I use a couple of different systems/tools. Sometimes I still mount my old Garmin Rhino on the bars for finding other lost Rhino guys or navigating to a way point but mostly we keep them in our packs for backup. The Rhino is pretty slick when its works, just hit go to and follow the arrow. I started using ON X as well, its a bit more of a PITA but it has its place. We already use Baofung radios so now you have my interest peaked.

M5

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
We have 12-14 Voyagers in our group and they work great. We have found that where/how you mount the tracker antenna makes a difference in the performance. We ride in the mtns and thick timber here in the PNW and the tracking works good. Very convenient to just look down quickly and see where everybody is because riding with my group is like herding cats..

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
We have 12-14 Voyagers in our group and they work great. We have found that where/how you mount the tracker antenna makes a difference in the performance. We ride in the mtns and thick timber here in the PNW and the tracking works good. Very convenient to just look down quickly and see where everybody is because riding with my group is like herding cats..
I'm getting ready to install one on my YZ450F and I plan to mount an extra dock to my Matryx. Where have you found is the best antenna mounting location? Thanks.

Premium Features