• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Longterm REVIEW and INSTALL: Trailtech Voyager Pro GPS w/ BUDDY TRACKING

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
FYI for Candian guys. These only come with USA map loaded and if you want the Canadain map you need to download it and it can take a couple hours. Then have a decent size SD card to load it on the gauge. Map is free which is the good news, the SD card reader on mine does not work which is bad for me. It now has to go back for warranty. These things happen but is a bit of a pain.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I hav
How did they wire it into the sled? Was a battery added?
I have NOT yet opened up the front end of the sled to see just how they did the electrical install.
They did not add a battery though.
Almost 100% certain its drawing live power only. Will need to wait for a little snow to play with it a bit and see how it behaves with a real charge.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Underneath the dash Ski Doo puts a power plug to an empty holder. This year that power plug has three wires. I will be using the black and gray wire for that’ll give me 12 V charging while the sled is running and the headlight is turned to high beam. I checked with an ohmmeter, and when the engine is not running, there is no current draw on those wires. I am hooking the black and grey wires to a small battery that I’m putting in the glove compartment with quick detach power plug and just Velcro holding it in place, so if need be I can bring it in the house. Add fuses on charging run, and to the Trailtec.

Last edited:

Ax-ski

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 7, 2021
Do you have to have both gps/buddy antennas for them to work? I just got a used one with just the screen nothing else.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Underneath the dash Ski Doo puts a power plug to an empty holder. This year that power plug has three wires. I will be using the black and gray wire for that’ll give me 12 V charging while the sled is running and the headlight is turned to high beam. I checked with an ohmmeter, and when the engine is not running, there is no current draw on those wires. I am hooking the black and grey wires to a small battery that I’m putting in the glove compartment with quick detach power plug and just Velcro holding it in place, so if need be I can bring it in the house. Add fuses on charging run, and to the Trailtec.
I had the battery connected overnight, and it was down to about about half charge. Retested the circuit with a better voltmeter and see there is a draw when the sled isn’t running. I’m going to try adding a zener diode to stop the drain. Otherwise add a switch to turn off overnight.

Wihusky

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2022
Wisconsin

With the black and grey wire from the sled is there any fear of over charging the battery. Also what size fuses did you add.

T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
Here is my setup. I will be using a Milwaukee M12 power supply. I was going to wire the M12 into the USB charge port on the sled but the power supply will not provide 12 volts when it is charging. Have to see how long the battery lasts. I could install a relay to power the GPS when the sled is running then switches to battery when shut off.

1.jpg 2.jpg hqdefault.jpg

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I guess I know enough to be dangerous. Without a real wiring diagram I have been guessing. Looks like the battery is back feeding the headlights, so don’t follow my previous advice.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Do you have to have both gps/buddy antennas for them to work? I just got a used one with just the screen nothing else.
You need the included buddy antenna, but the unit has an internal GPS. You only need an external GPS antenna if you're using the device in a way that it's obstructed or has potential signal blockages, such as inside the cab of a vehicle. That shouldn't be necessary when mounted on a sled.

peakperf

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cranbrook, BC
Has anyone tried a 12v external battery pack? The small ones are the size of a cell phone and could possibly plug into the accessory USB port in the glove box full time. The pack would charge while the sled is running and feed back power through the same port to the Voyager Pro when the sled is off.

Premium Features