• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How much oil should it use?

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
I have right about 90 miles on my '23 Khaos 850. Getting it ready for this weekend, I checked the oil and topped it off. It only took about 8-10 oz of oil to fill up the reservoir. This seems low to me. What ratio should these sleds be set to, especially during break-in (I'm only at about 50% according to the 7S)?

The dealer added oil to the gas tank, because it smoked like crazy the first ride. But now that that's all gone it doesn't really smoke at all unless it's completely cold.

I kinda suck at math, but if I take, say, 10 gallons (128 oz per gallon, or 12800 oz) and divide by 8 oz (oil usage) I'm at 144:1. I thought typical two-stroke oil ratios was 32:1 or maybe 40:1. If my math is correct, shouldn't this motor be locking up pretty soon?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I don't think you should ever see that lean on any sled, especially on break-in. My friend's Doo smoked like crazy the first ride - had to be 20:1 or something. Hopefully somebody has a good "normal" number, but I'd at least mention it to your dealer. If they'll check for air bubbles and re-prime the system, I'd have them do it.

M
Jan 8, 2022
Sanford MI
I have right about 90 miles on my '23 Khaos 850. Getting it ready for this weekend, I checked the oil and topped it off. It only took about 8-10 oz of oil to fill up the reservoir. This seems low to me. What ratio should these sleds be set to, especially during break-in (I'm only at about 50% according to the 7S)?

The dealer added oil to the gas tank, because it smoked like crazy the first ride. But now that that's all gone it doesn't really smoke at all unless it's completely cold.

I kinda suck at math, but if I take, say, 10 gallons (128 oz per gallon, or 12800 oz) and divide by 8 oz (oil usage) I'm at 144:1. I thought typical two-stroke oil ratios was 32:1 or maybe 40:1. If my math is correct, shouldn't this motor be locking up pretty soon?
Give The dealer a call-drop it in their lap, I have 3- 850s and all used about a quart per 100 miles during initial break-in, after 500 or so miles the motors came out of break in period ,now 120 - 140+ miles per quart varying on conditions, not uncommon to get 225 miles on a full oil tank before low oil light comes on . I'm sure in deep virgin snow/back woods riding oil range would be much less- protect yourself give it to the dealer who will/should establish a case report.

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
It is going to be different on everyone's sled depending on how it's rode. Ride it.
Terry's right but your numbers are bad news, hope it's a math/measurement issue. New Doo pulled down to 18:1 in deep snow during break in. New Poo I had a hard time getting it down to 30:1 in the same conditions. New Poo on trail during break in was 50-60:1...

C
Dec 14, 2020
Terry's right but your numbers are bad news, hope it's a math/measurement issue. New Doo pulled down to 18:1 in deep snow during break in. New Poo I had a hard time getting it down to 30:1 in the same conditions. New Poo on trail during break in was 50-60:1...

More oil isn't necessary.

The new bikes you run a rich tank or two at 50:1, then the normal 70:1.

Outboard boat motors have had all sorts of crazy, Evinrude had a 200hp V6 that idled at 150:1, and was 50:1 wide open.

With the electronic pumps they are going to vary a ton. They can idle at 100:1, then run at 24:1 wide open. You may only see oil usage of 50:1 because you're not wide open very often.

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
More oil isn't necessary.

The new bikes you run a rich tank or two at 50:1, then the normal 70:1.

Outboard boat motors have had all sorts of crazy, Evinrude had a 200hp V6 that idled at 150:1, and was 50:1 wide open.

With the electronic pumps they are going to vary a ton. They can idle at 100:1, then run at 24:1 wide open. You may only see oil usage of 50:1 because you're not wide open very often.
It's not a bike, merc/mariner, johnson/evinrude, or even close to a Chevy! It's a Poo 850 and unless his math is wrong, 160:1 and she's coming undone

C
Dec 14, 2020
It's not a bike, merc/mariner, johnson/evinrude, or even close to a Chevy! It's a Poo 850 and unless his math is wrong, 160:1 and she's coming undone

We can guarantee his math is wrong. It would have locked up already.

Everyone acts like 2 strokes still need 16:1 like it's the 70s.

The fact is, with the electronic pumps and variable rate oiling they're finally catching up to the rest of the world.

Have you ever seen an engine failure related to oil when the oiling system was working? I've seen cooked bearings from lines routed wrong, pumps failing, lines melting, etc.

I've never seen an oil failure from an engine that has a working oil system.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
We can guarantee his math is wrong. It would have locked up already.

Everyone acts like 2 strokes still need 16:1 like it's the 70s.

The fact is, with the electronic pumps and variable rate oiling they're finally catching up to the rest of the world.

Have you ever seen an engine failure related to oil when the oiling system was working? I've seen cooked bearings from lines routed wrong, pumps failing, lines melting, etc.

I've never seen an oil failure from an engine that has a working oil system.
Seen lots of 2 stroke motors slowly check out ( Polaris) that were not using enough oil. Polaris praying just get though warranty.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Seen lots of 2 stroke motors slowly check out ( Polaris) that were not using enough oil. Polaris praying just get though warranty.

You mean they wore out?

4 stroke motors go through pistons and valves just as quick if they're making the same power per displacement.

Lower the power levels if you want longevity. Drowning the motor in oil doesn't make it last any longer when you're exceeding the fatigue life of the aluminum pistons.

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
Again. You had an oil system failure. Guarantee that wasn't a mixture problem, it was an "there is suddenly zero oil" problem.
That's a wild assumption, given the lack of information you actually have.

I really don't care how much experience or qualification you have, you can't "guarantee" sh** here.

C
Dec 14, 2020
That's a wild assumption, given the lack of information you actually have.

I really don't care how much experience or qualification you have, you can't "guarantee" sh** here.

I know cranks and pistons don't all fail at low mileage at the same time because they were still getting oil...

When you have catastrophic failure across the entire top and bottom you had a complete lack of oil.

A gradual lack of oil shows up in the highest abuse spots or lowest oiling spots first. It doesn't show up everywhere all at once.

But if you want to piss away more money on oil get an etec. They never wear out since they use twice the oil....

Premium Features