• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nothing else matters if primary clutches won't stay on our sleds

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Why do we keep doing this Polaris? Why isn't it possible to make a reliable snowmobile?

24 9R, clutching 100% stock, primary bolt torque rechecked after 100mi, this happened at ~270mi today.

Same thing happened to my 2022 850 with the P85.

Fool me once... shame on you, but fool me twice? I might be done with this stupidity.

Now I pay for a heli ride, then the down time to get another new crank/primary under warranty. Nothing about the warranty covers getting it out of the hills and to the dealership. Just glad I had a good bud on a turbo doo to double me out of the bind.

Talk me out of going back to ski-doo guys...

F@CK

IMG_1181.jpeg

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
You're supposed to replace the clutch bolt at 250 miles, so it's totally your fault.

A clutch, bolt, and torque wrench are now mandatory tools.
Clearly. And Polaris should supply a spare complete clutch and bolt with each new sled purchase.

Snow check special will also include a special branded torque wrench!! Far more useful than hats or mugs... :rolleyes:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
In the late 90's we had a Cat guy in the group that would bring a spare clutch on trips. (occasionally needed it)
This shouldn't be a thing in 2024

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Promise? If so I'm gonna get one.
Have you ridden one with the 858? If so, doo tell!
I have not ridden the 858 yet. I like the catalyst better than the matryx as a chassis. It is easier to ride. It will only be better with the 858. I bet it's better than poo 850. Don't know about 9r but what's it worth to know your clutch is probably not flying out. Has same brake and it doesn't suck like 24 poo. Also know it doesn't have the same quirks as the alpha. The only thing poo has over it are scratchers and changing a arms. Catalyst is as light or lighter. Rides waaay lighter. Estart set up better. More comfortable to sit or stand on. Weight is more centered and better balanced and 4 grand cheaper than a 9r. I ordered 2. Then if you boost it it is only 2 pounds heavier than stock. That's 9r weight with boost. You will have more money in a boosted sled than polaris but my buddy just had another ride ruined. Sled was brand new. Problems with his 22 boost also and ruined a bunch of rides. His first polaris 850 blew up within 50 miles. Seems like he lost another. Motor on that sled. If you can believe it, he still likes polaris.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
In the late 90's we had a Cat guy in the group that would bring a spare clutch on trips. (occasionally needed it)
This shouldn't be a thing in 2024
Let me guess. Arctic cat 700. The worst crank eating clutch eating motor ever built. One of the few things that beats polaris's track record. That and maybe the 07 doo 800. I would have had 4000 miles on mine, that year, if you could keep a clutch in it.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I have not ridden the 858 yet. I like the catalyst better than the matryx as a chassis. It is easier to ride. It will only be better with the 858. I bet it's better than poo 850. Don't know about 9r but what's it worth to know your clutch is probably not flying out. Has same brake and it doesn't suck like 24 poo. Also know it doesn't have the same quirks as the alpha. The only thing poo has over it are scratchers and changing a arms. Catalyst is as light or lighter. Rides waaay lighter. Estart set up better. More comfortable to sit or stand on. Weight is more centered and better balanced and 4 grand cheaper than a 9r. I ordered 2. Then if you boost it it is only 2 pounds heavier than stock. That's 9r weight with boost. You will have more money in a boosted sled than polaris but my buddy just had another ride ruined. Sled was brand new. Problems with his 22 boost also and ruined a bunch of rides. His first polaris 850 blew up within 50 miles. Seems like he lost another. Motor on that sled. If you can believe it, he still likes polaris.
Thanks for that information! Looking forward to rider-reviews of the new Cat. Curious how it will cool in low snow conditions on the way to the mountains. Also, hoping for a twin rail option next year.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Thanks for that information! Looking forward to rider-reviews of the new Cat. Curious how it will cool in low snow conditions on the way to the mountains. Also, hoping for a twin rail option next year.
It kept cool enough but think it will be like every other sled in icy conditions. Curious to see polaris in really icy conditions because 24 scratchers work stellar

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Excellent picture. The broken off bolt in the foreground, the primary clutch flopping & Polaris Industries sticker both in the background.
Thanks, it was some of my finer work.

Might be the best excuse I've ever had to stop being poor and buy a second sled.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
How's the crank, oil line etc? Crazy how fast that bolt can take out a clutch and motor...
Last time this happened Polaris warranty replaced my crank because the fixed sheave was seized on the crankshaft.

Honestly for being WOT on a pull the damage (on its face with brief look) seems to be minimal.

I have a fantastic dealer who took parts off an inventory sled last time this happened (during covid, when parts were slow) and got me back on snow within a week. Bucky's in Pinedale, WY is the best.

But nothing fixes the problem of the time/energy getting the sled out of the hills, and the shame of 4 other doos in the group having zero issues and getting me back to the truck.

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
Last time this happened Polaris warranty replaced my crank because the fixed sheave was seized on the crankshaft.

Honestly for being WOT on a pull the damage (on its face with brief look) seems to be minimal.

I have a fantastic dealer who took parts off an inventory sled last time this happened (during covid, when parts were slow) and got me back on snow within a week. Bucky's in Pinedale, WY is the best.

But nothing fixes the problem of the time/energy getting the sled out of the hills, and the shame of 4 other doos in the group having zero issues and getting me back to the truck.
Sounds like you have an awesome dealer and good friends! They'll need your help one day too, just the way she goes. Now about that clutch!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Let me guess. Arctic cat 700. The worst crank eating clutch eating motor ever built. One of the few things that beats polaris's track record. That and maybe the 07 doo 800. I would have had 4000 miles on mine, that year, if you could keep a clutch in it.
Winner, winner, Spam sammich dinner!
Powder Special 700.
For the record, there was NOTHING Special about the Powder Special! When Cat came out with that, someone should have rolled up a newspaper & hit them across the face & shouted ... "NO!"

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
I keep preaching to Lap your P22 to the crank end.... torque to min. 140 ft lbs...the stock 85 ft lbs or 100 ft lbs is not enough!!! Lapping is critical as well...make s abetter seat on the clutch and crank....takes 5 min..I have a video on my instagram on how....not had a customer have one fall of that did that!!!

Premium Features