• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nothing else matters if primary clutches won't stay on our sleds

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
My P22 flew off my Boost today 🤣 I was wrong about needing two sleds if you ride Polaris. You need 2 and a back up haha Good thing my dealer said he will have it all fixed for me by Saturday when I head back to ride with Caleb.

I’m not sure how this new content impacts your forum expert status Chilly. Does this mean Tony was right? Did you call the heli yet? It’s important to not wreck friendships and waste peoples time with frivolous sled recovery missions by not calling the heli.
Did you leave the sled on the mountain? What’s the plan? We need documentation, broken clutch and the fly away video or pic. Nothing more liberating than seeing the heli fly away with the quality of Polaris shareholder value.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
So when these clutches fly off, what type of damage is happening to the rest of the sled ( broken side panels, smacking the secondary, crank out of tolerance, etc.)?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
So when these clutches fly off, what type of damage is happening to the rest of the sled ( broken side panels, smacking the secondary, crank out of tolerance, etc.)?
I knew what it was right away. My sled was about back down to an idle when it started tumbling around in my engine compartment. No damage. If I was broke and had no warranty I could reuse the clutch. Nothing looks wrecked. Just a little marred.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I’m not sure how this new content impacts your forum expert status Chilly. Does this mean Tony was right? Did you call the heli yet? It’s important to not wreck friendships and waste peoples time with frivolous sled recovery missions by not calling the heli.
Did you leave the sled on the mountain? What’s the plan? We need documentation, broken clutch and the fly away video or pic. Nothing more liberating than seeing the heli fly away with the quality of Polaris shareholder value.
If there was heli service I would use it. Now I have to waste my time getting that junk off the mountain. Tomorrow is the big recovery mission.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
If there was heli service I would use it. Now I have to waste my time getting that junk off the mountain. Tomorrow is the big recovery mission.
Just take up another clutch and a new bolt. If the bolt broke off in the crank it will no longer be tight, sometimes you will get lucky if you put the sled in reverse, it may back out on its own. If not as long as the broken bolt is straight put a small amount of contact cement on break of the old bolt touch it against the piece in the crank to get some on it. Pull the broken bolt out to give the cement time to tack up then carefully put it back in to stick to the broken piece. Carefully back it out. If that don't work you may have to use a left hand drill bit or and ez-out. It's way easier to try to fix it on the mountain than tow out of a hole. By the way with your flush wallet there's always a heli service!!!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
“Hey Chadly, there’s something wrong with your clutches. You can hear it’s lethargic on the video.”
chadly-“naw, my clutches are wicked good and I don’t need no different clutches. Y‘all are dumb for thinking that clutching matters. I’m rich.”

Four rides later, Chadly’s clutch falls off.

Bahahahahahahaha.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
“Hey Chadly, there’s something wrong with your clutches. You can hear it’s lethargic on the video.”
chadly-“naw, my clutches are wicked good and I don’t need no different clutches. Y‘all are dumb for thinking that clutching matters. I’m rich.”

Four rides later, Chadly’s clutch falls off.

Bahahahahahahaha.
Put down the crack pipe. That was last year on my 2023 9R which now has 1,100 trouble free miles on it. This was today on a 2024 Boost that has 249 miles on it. I knew this would get you forum trolls who cant ride all fired up 🙃

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

There’s always heli service available.

If I had Chilly money, I’d donate that POS to a poor person, skip the recovery, and buy another. Always need a tax deduction when Biden and Inslee are running the show.

J
Nov 17, 2022
MT
Just take up another clutch and a new bolt. If the bolt broke off in the crank it will no longer be tight, sometimes you will get lucky if you put the sled in reverse, it may back out on its own. If not as long as the broken bolt is straight put a small amount of contact cement on break of the old bolt touch it against the piece in the crank to get some on it. Pull the broken bolt out to give the cement time to tack up then carefully put it back in to stick to the broken piece. Carefully back it out. If that don't work you may have to use a left hand drill bit or and ez-out. It's way easier to try to fix it on the mountain than tow out of a hole. By the way with your flush wallet there's always a heli service!!!
I second this wholeheartedly. Spent a whole day dragging the clutchless 9r from a very remote area with ridgelines, creeks, gullies,etc. 2 sleds pulling the dead sled and very hard going. Ran out of day and had to leave it again. Spoke with dealer who offered a puller, backup clutch, tool to seat the new clutch, and new bolt. Had the inner off and bolt extracted in minutes. The bolt backed out easy, just used a flathead and pick. Had left hand bits and extractor for backup. Drove it out the rest of the way with the only dilemma being 3 sleds and two people. Exponentially easier.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I second this wholeheartedly. Spent a whole day dragging the clutchless 9r from a very remote area with ridgelines, creeks, gullies,etc. 2 sleds pulling the dead sled and very hard going. Ran out of day and had to leave it again. Spoke with dealer who offered a puller, backup clutch, tool to seat the new clutch, and new bolt. Had the inner off and bolt extracted in minutes. The bolt backed out easy, just used a flathead and pick. Had left hand bits and extractor for backup. Drove it out the rest of the way with the only dilemma being 3 sleds and two people. Exponentially easier.
Normal day riding with polaris

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
We ride Polaris because of the chassis. If you like the way ski doo handles you should go to them. I think in general they are more reliable than Polaris but not by the huge margin everyone thinks. P-22 is a simple fix put on a p-85 performs a little better then the p-22 too

lol this is what I have come to expect from a Polaris owner. Don’t hold the company responsible for selling you a defunct $30,000 sled with a bad primary clutch. Go ahead and just change the primary clutch no big deal and quit b1tching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Oh I bitch plenty. Ski doo chassis is just to far behind Polaris for me to switch. Their turbo set up is way better then Polaris but handling is more important to me and as far as reliability they are probably better then Polaris but plenty of issues with them too.
No need to be angry about it ride a ski doo if that’s what you like.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
Stock Polaris clutch bolt isn’t solid? Is it aluminum?

the Stock Polaris bolt has some thinner tappers that a solid style bolt. no idea why they make them that way....weight at the center does not effect as much as less weight 6" from center....Not a huge fan of Ti clutch bolts. no way you could feel the difference.

Premium Features