• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nothing else matters if primary clutches won't stay on our sleds

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
JH@CM ,, Bucky"s is tops , Sandy and his people at their shop are first rate!!!
I cannot say enough good things about Bucky's, I had Gary (previous owner) as a student at Univ of Wyo back years ago and he worked for me as a work study Student and They don't come any better than that and have known Sandy now for a long time also, Great business head and knowledgeable and knows how to work with his customers!!!!
gtwitch in wyoming

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
JH@CM ,, Bucky"s is tops , Sandy and his people at their shop are first rate!!!
I cannot say enough good things about Bucky's, I had Gary (previous owner) as a student at Univ of Wyo back years ago and he worked for me as a work study Student and They don't come any better than that and have known Sandy now for a long time also, Great business head and knowledgeable and knows how to work with his customers!!!!
gtwitch in wyoming
Yep, there's a reason I've snow checked every Polaris from Bucky's. They are the best!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
New clutch or new clutch fix?
Word is that they are working on something based off the P85 but with upgrades for durability. Not sure if we lose the center bearing or not? No idea if it will be ready for the 25 models. If it is ready for 25 it will likely be for new sleds only and not applicable to older sleds so they can drive the snowcheck. The rest of us are getting a revised clutch bolt.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Yeah I was joking it would be a Polaris move to change the new sleds so they won’t and we’ll be stuck with the p-22 going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It may be the only way to fix the issue. Some say the clutches are spinning on the cranks and over-tightening the bolts. If they have to put a indent on the crank stub to index to the new clutch (like Skidoo) they might might not fit older cranks.

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
hhhmm interesting ...got mine lapped good . wish my pos old dealer could help with this as that is what they were known for doing the extra setup.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Very unlikely the clutch has more friction to bolt to enable it to tighten bolt, than it does to the motor.
The motor friction would need to be the power applied to the clutch to create the torque to overtighten.

How do you lose your power source and then over torque?

That’s like saying you spun your tires off the rim because you tossed your driveline.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I’m not familiar, does Polaris put a steel ring on the clutch of non-es sleds?
Next question would be if not, are es clutches experiencing same clutch bolt or explosive rate? Just curious. Cat puts a ring on back of all clutches, wonder if any method to that madness. I do believe it’s the roller bearing that messes with these things tho.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Why do we keep doing this Polaris? Why isn't it possible to make a reliable snowmobile?

24 9R, clutching 100% stock, primary bolt torque rechecked after 100mi, this happened at ~270mi today.

Same thing happened to my 2022 850 with the P85.

Fool me once... shame on you, but fool me twice? I might be done with this stupidity.

Now I pay for a heli ride, then the down time to get another new crank/primary under warranty. Nothing about the warranty covers getting it out of the hills and to the dealership. Just glad I had a good bud on a turbo doo to double me out of the bind.

Talk me out of going back to ski-doo guys...

F@CK

View attachment 416073
We ride Polaris because of the chassis. If you like the way ski doo handles you should go to them. I think in general they are more reliable then Polaris but not by the huge margin everyone thinks. P-22 is a simple fix put on a p-85 performs a little better then the p-22 too

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
We ride Polaris because of the chassis. If you like the way ski doo handles you should go to them. I think in general they are more reliable then Polaris but not by the huge margin everyone thinks. P-22 is a simple fix put on a p-85 performs a little better then the p-22 too
This is true…we have 3 skidoos in our group. Last ride out one was sputtering, backfiring and running poorly another wouldn’t make boost. All the boosts ran flawlessly….🤷🏽‍♂️

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My P22 flew off my Boost today 🤣 I was wrong about needing two sleds if you ride Polaris. You need 2 and a back up haha Good thing my dealer said he will have it all fixed for me by Saturday when I head back to ride with Caleb.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
My P22 flew off my Boost today I was wrong about needing two sleds if you ride Polaris. You need 2 and a back up haha Good thing my dealer said he will have it all fixed for me by Saturday when I head back to ride with Caleb.

Dammit Chadley put on a P-85 if I wasn’t poor I would send you one so you could see the light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features