• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7S Maps

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Wondering if the 7S maps are any good outside of buddy tracking. Have people found they can stop relying on phone apps (OnX, Garmin etc) when in high consequence and new areas?

Is it basically the same as the Polaris app but on a larger screen or are the maps better and more enriched?

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
One thing I have found is the GPS updates very slow. Picking my way through some sketchy terrain trusting my location on the screen almost screwed me up big time.
Finally started pulling my phone out of my pocket and it was far more accurate and much quicker to lock on.
Just something to keep in mind.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I use Avenza With forest service maps on my phone to get a decent read on terrain while offline.
OnX downloaded satellite view with tracking on if I'm in a new spot.
I'll add Google maps satellite view in if I have cell service.

Buddy tracking is the main draw, and it's not horrible gps unless you're trying to thread the needle between cliffs.

But I'll always carry a backup because 1 is none.

rmkfire

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Oconomowoc, WI
I still use a Garmin with Inreach for Birds Eye view and SOS and satellite messaging. I primarily use the 7S and only look at the Garmin when in new areas and want to see the birds eye imagery. I used to only use the Garmin when Polaris only offered the PIDD but with the group ride on the 7S I will keep buying and using both until Polaris gets birds eye to download into map and has SOS / Inreach option.

Premium Features