• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Letter from Ski-Doo about MISSING functionality in 10.25" Screen

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Picked this up off some social media..
===========

For those following my previous post, Thomas Urh from Ski Doo replied to my email RE: concerns with the new 10.25 inch screen and how they horribly missed the ball with the functionality of the screen. Expressed concerns were:
  • Phone has to be plugged in to get any GPS functionality, phone needs to remain on and BRP GO app has to be open.
  • You need cell service for most of the GPS functionalities to work
  • Screen is very buggy, shuts off and app crashes a lot
Requested improvements:
  • Get rid of the requirement for the phone to be connected to the screen and provide built in maps and GPS functionality without needing cell service
  • Provide subscription based services like competitors such as Garmin
  • Provide buddy tracking

397593561_2041099176247604_7050715089250782607_n.jpg

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
My riding buddy recently got a BRP survey where he echoed all of your same points. These deficiencies plus the high cost were why I elected to stay with the smaller Gen5 screen and instead try the Trail Tech Voyager Pro for more bang at half the price.

Cat is verrryyy late to the party with the Catalyst, but one of their smartest moves was the partnership with Garmin. I'm not sure it'll be enough, but I feel confident that their new display will be class-leading for OEM smart display tech.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
I am curious why anyone would pay for the big screen on a 2024 when it was clearly D- grade product in 2023.

As mountain riders we spend a majority of our days riding in places that do not have cell reception.

It would be like paying $1000 for a smart phone that was constantly shutting down and when it did stay on only the clock and battery indicator worked.

D
Dec 22, 2018
I am curious why anyone would pay for the big screen on a 2024 when it was clearly D- grade product in 2023.

As mountain riders we spend a majority of our days riding in places that do not have cell reception.

It would be like paying $1000 for a smart phone that was constantly shutting down and when it did stay on only the clock and battery indicator worked.

It was not perfect, but definitely not a bad product. I used navigation a lot last season and did order my 24 also with big screen. Just download offline maps and you don't need cell service for navigation.

C
I’ve down loaded my area and it only works until you turn off your sled for the first time. This usually happens about 20 minutes into the ride after your Polaris buddies get stuck. I feel the buddy tracking is a very important safety item and would gladly pay extra for this.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
it’s interesting that they even released the larger gauge while it’s still lacking in so many areas. the debut of the Gen5 would have been just as great w/o it and it’s not like it really can compete with Polaris’ gauge in its current form.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
All I can say, with the lack of features it’s still a way better gauge than the small one. I would buy it again even though I feel it’s overpriced for what it is, like needing a 1500 phone to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership

exactly...total waste of time IMO

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
All I can say, with the lack of features it’s still a way better gauge than the small one. I would buy it again even though I feel it’s overpriced for what it is, like needing a 1500 phone to make it work.

I've been watching current riding videos and the large gauge appears to be covered in snow most of the time.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta

You are wrong and your comment tells me you don’t know how it’s works. You do not need cell service to get navigation to work, it worked perfectly for me, once I understood how it was supposed to work.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
pricey gamble...they dont seem to get it in this dept...such a shame.
I agree
For me, this was the single most expensive sled I have ever purchased.
And the MISSING OPERABILITY on the large screen is NO SMALL DEAL.

Personally I do firmly believe there is a large software update in the pipeline.
What I am NOT sure about is that the needed hardware is currently present in the display circuitry.

My own personal fear is that they will NOT be able to add/activate all missing functionality with a HARDWARE UPGRADE, and that that upgrade won't be 100% retrofittable. But this is pure 100% unsubstantiated SPECULATION on my part. I have nothing at all to base that fear/concern on!

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I agree
For me, this was the single most expensive sled I have ever purchased.
And the MISSING OPERABILITY on the large screen is NO SMALL DEAL.

Personally I do firmly believe there is a large software update in the pipeline.
What I am NOT sure about is that the needed hardware is currently present in the display circuitry.

My own personal fear is that they will NOT be able to add/activate all missing functionality with a HARDWARE UPGRADE, and that that upgrade won't be 100% retrofittable. But this is pure 100% unsubstantiated SPECULATION on my part. I have nothing at all to base that fear/concern on!
that’s my take on it as well. it’ll happen, but it’ll be a new gauge.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
THAT right there is my greatest fear.
BRP will leave all of us HOLDING THE BAG

Honestly, there would be HOLY HELL TO PAY if they go that route.

No I don’t think that will be the case. This gauge is on way too many different powersports products, SXS, motorcycle, etc. mountain sledders are a very very small group compared to the bigger picture. I am glad it’s on a SXS now.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
"Or it will take so long that it won't matter on your 2024 ride."
that's a good point especially if one snowchecks every year or every other year then what's it really matter? i'd think though that the '25s should have whatever the new gauge will be with complete functionality and/or proper updates for existing owners. 2 years seems like enough time to get it squared away and by new gauge i don't mean entirely new display and everything, i mean it has the gps and radio hardware built in.

Premium Features