• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7S gauge mapping and buddy location

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Just got back from 5 days in McCall. Man I love the 7S gauge. I have a terrible sense of direction and get turned around in my home area easily. In a place like McCall I’d have no idea where I was or what was the way home. The 7S is so easy to work with. Basically figured it out just by fiddling with it. So nice to be able to find my buddies even in the thick trees and navigate to an areaI wanted to get too just by following the map on the gauge. Over and over we would find each other in the thick woods even where you couldn’t see someone until you were right on top of them. Always knew the way home. Gave me confidence to get off the trail and take “shortcuts” I didn’t know existed. My stress level of losing my friends or getting lost myself went to zero. So worth the money.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just got back from 5 days in McCall. Man I love the 7S gauge. I have a terrible sense of direction and get turned around in my home area easily. In a place like McCall I’d have no idea where I was or what was the way home. The 7S is so easy to work with. Basically figured it out just by fiddling with it. So nice to be able to find my buddies even in the thick trees and navigate to an areaI wanted to get too just by following the map on the gauge. Over and over we would find each other in the thick woods even where you couldn’t see someone until you were right on top of them. Always knew the way home. Gave me confidence to get off the trail and take “shortcuts” I didn’t know existed. My stress level of losing my friends or getting lost myself went to zero. So worth the money.
Just got back from alpine and run into levi and ben. Didn't realize they were in on that trip i took you guys sledding until we got to talking. Talk about a small world.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
That was an awesome day Terry. Thanks again for showing us that spot and getting us back to the truck. That was a cold road ride back in the dark!

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Agree. Had a group of 11 in McCall . On two of us had 7s. Very frustrating at times trying to find others. 7s is a great tool for the tool box

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Agreed with the OP. Polaris is genius for requiring it with that boost. I would have never checked the box for a $1000 display.

after having it last season I was sure to get it on my dads and sons sled.

it also works with UTV and we have our general linked to the sleds so we can track my wife and mom while we’re out on sleds.

such a cool technology!

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
2023 versions hardly ever work. Hopefully the issue is software instead of hardware, and there's an update coming.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I was told by the sales guy that if one of your group has the 7S, and the others download the way out app to their phone, you get the find me feature on the phones?
I haven't verified, just what was mentioned...

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I just hold down the Polaris button for 5 seconds to reset it and it’s good.

We try that multiple times per ride, and also try starting new groups, and/or leaving and rejoining groups. Best we've had so far was one day that we gave up and ignored them for a while. A few hours in, 50% of the other 7s riders ended up able to see each other. That lasted an hour or so before we were back down to 25%. It's a great concept, but so far it's been a waste of time and annoying to tinker with. Until there's an update, I'd rather just ride while maintaining awareness the old fashioned ways.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
We try that multiple times per ride, and also try starting new groups, and/or leaving and rejoining groups. Best we've had so far was one day that we gave up and ignored them for a while. A few hours in, 50% of the other 7s riders ended up able to see each other. That lasted an hour or so before we were back down to 25%. It's a great concept, but so far it's been a waste of time and annoying to tinker with. Until there's an update, I'd rather just ride while maintaining awareness the old fashioned ways.
same here. There have been 6 7s gauges in our group this year. They all act the same way. so random, the utility is useless. all the gauges have the latest software.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I was told by the sales guy that if one of your group has the 7S, and the others download the way out app to their phone, you get the find me feature on the phones?
I haven't verified, just what was mentioned...
This only works in areas that have cell phone coverage. Most areas I ride cell phone service is nonexistent or very spotty. I finally got a chance to ride with another 7s rider and it worked great all day long. We were able to find each other easily all day long.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I’ve had some issues on my 2023. If I’m not seeing the group at the beginning I just hold down the Polaris button for 5 seconds to reset it and it’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We were experiencing random intermittent issues with our 2023 7S gauges, same as Jhurkot we do the reboot and have had good success with seeing others all day.
Hard to live without the GPS and tracks after using it!!

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC

Are you all resetting your screens at the same time as a group or just each person randomly? Do you have any 22s in the group with a weak 12v battery? I know that can cause some problems too.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Are you all resetting your screens at the same time as a group or just each person randomly? Do you have any 22s in the group with a weak 12v battery? I know that can cause some problems too.

I typically don’t turn my key off but started this season when we’re stopped for more than 1-2 min to keep the 12v charged.

Gideup

Premium Member
Dec 6, 2011
Mnt Rainier, WA
I did update software and mapping on my ‘22 Boost and now maps and buddies intermittently work and not work.
Took to dealer to have them plug in to fix. Now I’m waiting for a new 7s.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
my buddy and I did the gauge reset today.
we linked up and stayed linked the whole day

that's a first for us

Premium Features