• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Letter from Ski-Doo about MISSING functionality in 10.25" Screen

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
"Or it will take so long that it won't matter on your 2024 ride."
that's a good point especially if one snowchecks every year or every other year then what's it really matter? i'd think though that the '25s should have whatever the new gauge will be with complete functionality and/or proper updates for existing owners. 2 years seems like enough time to get it squared away and by new gauge i don't mean entirely new display and everything, i mean it has the gps and radio hardware built in.
Are you sure it has the radio built in? Is there a connector for an antenna?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Are you sure it has the radio built in? Is there a connector for an antenna?
no, just speculating but if i were designing it i'd have it all in one, self contained unit. easier to waterproof, no cable connections to external hardware that introduce a failure point etc. so if current owners never get all that functionality, i won't be surprised.. maybe they'll get various upgrades but it still wont be as good as whatever the end result gauge will be i.e, they'll still have to tether the phone. i do know that i'm not as smart as a brp engineer though.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The ability to use the gauge without connecting your cell phone would be great and is just plain stupid that it hasn't been like that from the start.

But even worse is the lack of buddy tracking. That feature would be a big safety measure and make the gauge truly worthwhile.

Doo is often the leader in tech but when it comes to their gauges, they are a distant third with what Cat will be offering.

I had to get the big gauge in order to get a sled on time, and would not doo it again unless/until Doo provides some actual value to match the big price.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Next time I have a sled with big gauge I’ll hook up to my budds and go into the advanced tab and see what unlocked features are in there .
I remember looking in the 2019 gauge and seeing things like belt temp tabs in it already. If the tabs aren’t already in the gauge might not be good news

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
No doubt the current unit has gps (recieve only) and embeded mapping capability although BRP is not ready to turn that feature on. BUT buddy tracking will require a 2 way radio transmitter/receiver that requires FCC and Industry Canada certification or has to fall in to existing (limiting) guidelines. These types of radios require a decent antenna mounted away from metal obsticals or you will not be able to track others for more than a few hundred feet away. I ask again, "Does the current gauge have a shielded connector for an external antenna?" Answering this question will answer if this gauge is capable for a software upgrade to have the functions you want.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
... I ask again, "Does the current gauge have a shielded connector for an external antenna?" Answering this question will answer if this gauge is capable for a software upgrade to have the functions you want.

Don't take this as authoritative, since my memory is foggy. My local dealer last spring was showing on their parts desk a 10.25" screen that had been busted in a bad wreck into a tree. I got to pick it up and look it all over, and have no recollection of any sort of antenna connectors. I do radio stuff for a federal agency, so any such connector would have stood out to me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The gauge does not need an antenna. The added module would have it. There are extra connectors available under that gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe the question was if a software update could turn on the hidden features such as tracking? Sure adding a radio module with antenna could work but it will be an expensive kit and knowing BRP will require "dealer programming" to add to the expense. Someone also mentioned why would they want to build 2 different components? It all should be in the gauge. (other than the antenna).

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Buddy Tracking is going to be the real issue.
What would be fun...

Putting that cell phone to use in connecting with StarLink to communicate rider locations via SAT...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now you are talking! I hope we are not to old or poor to get to enjoy this.
I have to think that that is WAY outside the box as it were.
But Dang, that would TOTALLY ROCK the industry if they brought out nearly BULLET PROOF Sat rider tracking!

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Putting that cell phone to use in connecting with StarLink to communicate rider locations via SAT...

That day is coming, but it's a few years out. Starlink is claiming ( https://direct.starlink.com/ ) SMS texting in 2024, voice in 2025, and what I'm sure is very limited data after that. But yes, having a cloud-based system such as used by Garmin, Spot or Zoleo is certainly a possibility where your phone is the hardware and they provide the tracking service.

What Starlink is attempting is frankly magical. To have a satellite passing overhead at roughly the same rate as an airliner only 300 miles up but still be able to "hear" a 1/2 watt cell signal is just amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I believe the question was if a software update could turn on the hidden features such as tracking? Sure adding a radio module with antenna could work but it will be an expensive kit and knowing BRP will require "dealer programming" to add to the expense. Someone also mentioned why would they want to build 2 different components? It all should be in the gauge. (other than the antenna).

No it would not be expensive, the phone is a radio device and has buddy tracking with cell service.
Who knows if the embedded maps module that was leaked doesn’t have the buddy tracking in it like the phone, and that’s what’s being worked on. So the switch is from the phone to a module. The only software update I see if for the go app in the gauge for use with the module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Premium Features