• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 skidoo

M
Sep 14, 2016
I only need ONE thing to make me seriously consider a Polaris...reliablity. Honestly, all of the advantages that Polaris appears to have over the Doo in terms to ridability mean little too me as I am not a good enough rider to really tell. If I was a better rider perhaps but I still put reliability above all else. I DON'T like to walk or carry a truck full of parts to keep me going. Like I said before, none are perfect you just have the decide what you are willing to put uo with and what you are not and choose from there. No right or wrong answer, just personal preference.

this is the reason why I ride a cat and not a polaris

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
three things it takes if I ever want to go back to the Doo.
-A better attack angle
-A Bulkhead that doesn't break like an eggshell
-better line handling in sidehill
I've installed 3 grip n rip kits in 850s (2017, and 2 2020s). I've also hit a lot of stuff.. some that had me thinking I wouldn't be riding the rest of the day... or week.. and I've drove right out of it. So to say its like an eggshell, may be just a little egg-ageration.... hahaha.. sorry. I'll show myself out.

C
Mar 15, 2018
Polaris track record has sucked over the years but there has been plenty of these 850 doos blow up.
True, but it is not about finding an invincible sled, it doesn't exist. EVRYTHING mechanical is prone to failure, it is just that some are more prone than others. It's also not just about engines. I have yet to hear of a Doo jackshaft breaking but seems to be not uncommon on the Poo. At any rate, yes, they ALL can and do break, some just more than others.

P
Oct 24, 2012
175” with the race tune and matching clutching, stock vertical venting (or something to improve the snow tray dash zone that starves the engine of air in deep pow) free ride shocks and the Lynx style skis would be my wishlist

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Lose some weight, make the pro 36 shocks lighter or give us a lighter robust shock package, make it a little more narrow (boards and plastic), and some sort of storage from the factory then I'll pre-order one.

C
Mar 15, 2018
I've installed 3 grip n rip kits in 850s (2017, and 2 2020s). I've also hit a lot of stuff.. some that had me thinking I wouldn't be riding the rest of the day... or week.. and I've drove right out of it. So to say its like an eggshell, may be just a little egg-ageration.... hahaha.. sorry. I'll show myself out.
I broke 2 steering posts on my XM, One hitting a ditch that I couldn't see in flat light and my legs hit/bent the bars as I "gracefully" dismounted, and the other hitting a tree at warp speed (where I broke the post with my leg as I unceremoniously vaulted past the tree with such vigour that it ripped the tether out of my jacket and slung it 20-30 feet back behind the sled. THAT one left a bruise. Neither tweeked the tunnel. OTOH a buddy clipped a rock and broke the spindle on his Poo.

M
Sep 14, 2016
I installed a Grip n rip kit on my 2017 after destroying my first bukhead and I still destroyed it a second time 1 year later even with the kit installed. But I think we are strengthening the bulkhead in 2018 and 2019

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Polaris track record has sucked over the years but there has been plenty of these 850 doos blow up.
I've never seen an 850 Doo on a rope from a motor failure. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen but we know the 2017 chassis had issues and there were some growing pains with clutching and such but man there sure seems to be some 850 Boost issues if you believe the Interweb and we all know how long an 800 Poo motor lasts. I have one in for rebuild now with less than 700 miles. Granted it's a 13 and on it's 4th top end in less than 3k miles. and not a boost but many Poo owners have had the same issues. Great chassis with a motor that has the longevity and life span of a Lemming.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
True, but it is not about finding an invincible sled, it doesn't exist. EVRYTHING mechanical is prone to failure, it is just that some are more prone than others. It's also not just about engines. I have yet to hear of a Doo jackshaft breaking but seems to be not uncommon on the Poo. At any rate, yes, they ALL can and do break, some just more than others.
To be perfectly honest, thats kinda sorta not true.
If you are willing to PAY THE PRICE of WEIGHT, the HEAVY YAMAHAS are as close to freaking BULLET PROOF as you could get.

It was DAMN HARD to wreck a Nytro..
I never owned a sled that took more abuse and gave me less greif.
But it came at a +100lb cost...

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I agree with Cat-man-Doo. Three are probably only 20% at best that can ride like Burandt or Rasmussen. So I ask, other than keyboard king of the mountains, what percentage do you think actually put these machines on a daily basis to even 70% of their capabilities? I have owned Cat, Poo, and Doo. Poo has left me at the end of a rope more times then Jack Sparrow in the opening seen to Pirates of the Caribbean. I rode Poo from 1999 until 2015 and gave up on them finally for 2016. I will take a 30# increase and a better chance of making home under my own power over being able to hold a line with CB any day.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I've never seen an 850 Doo on a rope from a motor failure. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen but we know the 2017 chassis had issues and there were some growing pains with clutching and such but man there sure seems to be some 850 Boost issues if you believe the Interweb and we all know how long an 800 Poo motor lasts. I have one in for rebuild now with less than 700 miles. Granted it's a 13 and on it's 4th top end in less than 3k miles. and not a boost but many Poo owners have had the same issues. Great chassis with a motor that has the longevity and life span of a Lemming.
Our 17 was stellar. No belt issues and it seen a bunch of deep snow

B
Nov 26, 2007
My plan is to get a 2024 since I trade about once every 10 years. Crazy talk I know for some but with the reliability I have had over the years it is worth it for me to trade infrequent and upgrade the skid/shocks etc. over the years. With how much $$$$ people have to put into upkeep of a Polaris motors etc. I feel it works best for me to upgrade what I feel are some of the short comings of the Ski-doo Chassis. Currently running the XM chassis with a handful of mods for handling (eg. t-motion delete) and by the time 2024 gets here I hope there are a few more chassis changes but if not I will likely still upgrade to the 2024 and look again to the aftermarket folks for handling since this is Ski-doo Achilles heel (just my opinion) in the mountain segment. Much easier to switch out skids/shocks etc. versus motors.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Our 17 was stellar. No belt issues and it seen a bunch of deep snow
I remember how many SW members were screaming about belts on the 17s.
But I bought THREE of those sleds and NEVER changed a single belt.
And sold the last of the sleds just this summer.

Never fully understood why some of us had ZERO issues, and others just went through belts like there was no tomorrow.
I tend to think is was all about environmental issues of some guys just generating MASSIVE amounts of heat that "most" riders never saw.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I agree with Cat-man-Doo. Three are probably only 20% at best that can ride like Burandt or Rasmussen. So I ask, other than keyboard king of the mountains, what percentage do you think actually put these machines on a daily basis to even 70% of their capabilities? I have owned Cat, Poo, and Doo. Poo has left me at the end of a rope more times then Jack Sparrow in the opening seen to Pirates of the Caribbean. I rode Poo from 1999 until 2015 and gave up on them finally for 2016. I will take a 30# increase and a better chance of making home under my own power over being able to hold a line with CB any day.
No way I use the full potential of these Summit Sleds.
But its DAMN NICE to have all of that ability for the "Occassional" opportunities that do present themselves once in a while!:):)

As for the #30lbs...
That was my logic for years riding the Yamahas..
I was perfectly willing to pay the weight penalty, for a massive increase in reliability.
But as I got older (Now 58) I felt the weight more and more each season in the form of "End of Day Exhaustion".

Sold all the Yamis in 2016 and bought three new 2017 G4s.
NEVER LOOKED BACK again!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

Never fully understood why some of us had ZERO issues, and others just went through belts like there was no tomorrow.
I tend to think is was all about environmental issues of some guys just generating MASSIVE amounts of heat that "most" riders never saw.
I had it in deep and never shut it down and never blew a belt. Could even smell belt and thought it would blow but never did. I don't think the guy that bought it blew one either

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007

This was my 17 every 50-80 miles with factory clutching. I kept a gallon zip lock bag on me and bagged it up and took by took my dealer everytime and he gave me a new one.

1641065168074.png

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
After selling my 2020 Expert and my 2021 Expert Turbo due to moving to Florida, I'm jumping back in. My 2023 wish list, Turbo 4100 Lynx with GPS integrated gauge. Wishful thinking, maybe. Either way, after over four decades of riding sleds and three decades in the mountains, the smell of two stroke is calling. Am I nuts to spend 20k on a sled and live in Florida, of course. But life is short. Here's to some meaningful updates for 2023.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Been looking at the Lynx BoonDocker DS and it does appear to address some of the big ticket items that I have with the Summit. Seems to not be a consistent feel to the people that have seat time on being able to put it on edge. Some say more effort and some say less effort but both agree that once on edge there is less of a weeble wobble and can hold the line better once you get it there. I wouldn't have to mess with the skid going this route, narrower running boards and less plastics around the tank are also a plus in my mind.

Premium Features