• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 skidoo

C
Mar 15, 2018
My hope which I think is somewhat realistic would be a taller and narrower chassis that's an evolution of the G4 chassis. I don't expect a ground-up completely new concept. I'm surprised to hear that one of the test riders is having engine problems, I would have expected a carryover of the existing 850/Turbo. Developing a new engine and a new chassis in parallel is a lot of engineering design/validation work to take on, especially right now. I'm not surprised to see a new generation in the middle of the existing parts shortages. In some cases the parts shortages might drive OEMs to develop new relationships with new suppliers that aren't constrained. It doesn't make sense to develop old parts with new suppliers so it's time for the next gen.

My wish list for changes:
Taller front spindles, maybe raiding the parts bin for the 600RS spindles on the mountain sleds (better deep snow clearance and shifting the COG higher to lay on edge easier)
Taller rear suspension to match the front, I don't really care about T-mo one way or the other, the riding deficiencies are mostly the rider
34" ski width
Keep the tunnel/track width
Narrower plastics and matching boards
More integrated surfacing between the skid plate, bottom of chassis, and running boards for better performance in deep snow; float better, hold an edge better, and push snow under the track for better traction and faster turns
Return of built in storage
Optional upgraded shock package from the factory
Optional gauge package that includes integrated GPS
High Performance boost cal for the Turbo
I am surprised that post forward was not on your wish list. It is something that Rasmussen is a huge proponent of so it would be mind boggling if it did NOT have it on a new chassis. Then again, how long did Burandt tell Polaris to put a tether on before they actually did. Sometimes figuring out how manufacturers think is more than a bit challenging. BTW, I agree with your assessment on T-mo.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I am surprised that post forward was not on your wish list. It is something that Rasmussen is a huge proponent of so it would be mind boggling if it did NOT have it on a new chassis. Then again, how long did Burandt tell Polaris to put a tether on before they actually did. Sometimes figuring out how manufacturers think is more than a bit challenging. BTW, I agree with your assessment on T-mo.
I am a fan of being low over the front end, I think it's a carry over from riding DH mountain bikes and trying to keep the pressure on the front tire for better high speed traction.

I'd update my list if it gave me the option to edit but maybe I'm too late. :D

C
Mar 15, 2018
I am a fan of being low over the front end, I think it's a carry over from riding DH mountain bikes and trying to keep the pressure on the front tire for better high speed traction.

I'd update my list if it gave me the option to edit but maybe I'm too late. :D
I had post forward on my 2014 XM. The reason was that I broke the factory post so had to replace it anyways. Can't say I noticed any difference but that would likely be due to my lack of experience.

Feb 7, 2014
and random dealer last year said 2022s would have 180hp tune. picked mine up this fall and my dealer said rumors are that the 2022s have 180hp tune

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Hmmm
A G5 in 2023.
Don't think we would have to go very far out on a Limb to say NOT LIKELY given the huge supply chain problems that BRP is still suffering through just to get the G4 production components made and delivered.

Under normal conditions, YES, Its time for the next Iteration to appear.
But man.
I dunno guys.
It might be a reach for them to try and bring out a truly new chassis next year...
Nice to hear your new info on the Gen5 . Hopefully it comes true. Who knows.

wideopenbeau

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2009
Milky Way.
I talked to my dealer a few weeks ago and again last Friday and he said it’s defiantly a gen 5 and a totally different animal. He said he was going to be out riding on a prototype soon but that’s all he would say. He can be a bit of a BS’er but……
I would like to see the onboard storage, a few more pony’s never hurt, narrow body panels and get rid of the torsion springs. Other then that the 2020-2022 expert checks my simple minded boxes.

M
Dec 4, 2007
Red Deer, Alberta
Been looking at the Lynx BoonDocker DS and it does appear to address some of the big ticket items that I have with the Summit. Seems to not be a consistent feel to the people that have seat time on being able to put it on edge. Some say more effort and some say less effort but both agree that once on edge there is less of a weeble wobble and can hold the line better once you get it there. I wouldn't have to mess with the skid going this route, narrower running boards and less plastics around the tank are also a plus in my mind.

I have built a tank cover delete. I love the extra knee room. Didn’t think it would be sellable. If you like it, I can figure out what it would cost to build more?
CEC364E9-2693-420D-A7C3-059EA33CB882.jpegF5C2AE25-AF77-46E0-B036-47C8DA507B71.jpeg

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I always ran mine at 7900. I like both motors but like the doo 850 better. The polaris is kind of deceiving. You don't think it has as much power because of the awesome low end of the doo but crack it all the way and it has power.
I would take a lynx over the doo any day of the week. I was going to buy one but folded over for a polaris boost. Was going to try 34 inch arms and zrp spindles and mohawks. Have to try that another day.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
The way things have been going, everyone will pre-order a new chassis, come October they will get the old chassis with the new gauge, then told at least we gave you what everyone was complaining about not getting last time.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
And that 30# less weight of the Boost makes it easier to tow back to the trailer too LOL.
Sorry. I am not rich and shameless. I will take 450# of my expert to the 425# Matryx ( I don't run turbs) any day to be able to run my sled 3 seasons or more without having to spend $1500.00 on a top end rebuild every year. Spend $30.00 a month on a gym membership and get in shape so you live longer and can throw that 30 extra pounds around I guess and it's a win/win. I just can't see dumping $15K to 20K on a sled that has a 1 season life span and the others don't. Christopher, I don't think you can compare a 4 stroke Yammy to difference between Poo and Doo either. What did your Yammy weigh dry? 550? 575? 600? I am pretty sure if the Matryx and G4 weighed in at 525# you would still be riding Yammy's, right?

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Good thread to think about what would it take from BRP to get me to switch from Polaris? Lighter like the Polaris. Suspension like the Linx as I tried it and liked it. Thinner would be nice but not a deal breaker. And use less oil. Running a Polaris cost 1/2 as much as a Doo for oil and the Doo oil stench makes me feel sick, smelling it, if I ride behind my Doo buddies down a trail.

The list has been getting shorter over the last few years.

My Polaris's have been really good for reliability and I don't care about SHOT. So guys commenting about these are not relivent to me.

Wonder what it would take to pull Cat guys over?

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Good thread to think about what would it take from BRP to get me to switch from Polaris? Lighter like the Polaris. Suspension like the Linx as I tried it and liked it. Thinner would be nice but not a deal breaker. And use less oil. Running a Polaris cost 1/2 as much as a Doo for oil and the Doo oil stench makes me feel sick, smelling it, if I ride behind my Doo buddies down a trail.

The list has been getting shorter over the last few years.

My Polaris's have been really good for reliability and I don't care about SHOT. So guys commenting about these are not relivent to me.

Wonder what it would take to pull Cat guys over?

... once you have SHOT, you never go back!

Ace

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Fact....their are some Polaris guys that still prefer the "one hand opening the throttle while pulling the rope twice" method for starting.
Fact - I don't ride a 1980's sled. Once started for the day, a simple flick of the wrist and it's going. Like SHOT only faster when an Avy is rolling towards you. Once you have a sled 50 lbs lighter, you will never go back.

Premium Features