• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Calling all the people that have test ridden a boost!! FUEL...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
They might maintain peak horsepower but the higher the boost number typically has a completely different power delivery.

(On vs off boost being further from each other)

kidder17

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Saskatchewan
Anyone else notice some of the Boost sleds sound like they are hitting a rev limiter every time they are held wide open?
The Boost sleds that have been sent into Canada are clutched at 10000'. The areas they are being taken out to in B.C. are in the 5500-7000' range.....

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Yes you are right, when Ski Doo brought out their turbo they sent them to dealers to let people test ride them, for 3 months any one could test ride these turbos, and they beat the **** out of them, I don`t see Polaris doing that. now why is that ? some people walk around with blinders on. and yes i snow checked one, but after seeing it in person and watching videos of it I am not so sure i want one.
isn't it brp buyers who finished the clutching for the 850?

how many years in a row have the clutches touched on the 850? where they ready at launch?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'm giving up my turbos. They sound aweful. Kind of sounds like the guy trying to sell us an extended warranty on a car. Finally told him it sounds like a pile of **** and if he didn't shut up they could keep it.
I didn't get to test a doo turbo out. I had to buy one. Not guaranteed you get to test ride. If you test ride you aren't getting the exact thing in the fall anyway. A buddy told me the 21 runs way better than the 20.5 doo. Why is that? They must not have tested it either or it would have been dialed. Prototypes 2 years ago and prototypes now. When we get them in the fall they won't be prototypes. The only one i even heard twitch was the one turcotte rode. You don't know the calibration between it and any of the others or what they're coming with. Don't trust them don't buy it. Simple as that.

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
The Boost sleds that have been sent into Canada are clutched at 10000'. The areas they are being taken out to in B.C. are in the 5500-7000' range.....

Lol.
Well why in the heck can't they put the right clutching when they send them to Canada. Don't they know videos will be made and people will question them on what they say the sled will do and how it performs.
It don't take that much time to change clutching before their sent to different areas.
Maybe their so wound up that their sleds are the best that they don't need a clutch change . From see level to elevation we run the same clutching.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
They might maintain peak horsepower but the higher the boost number typically has a completely different power delivery.

(On vs off boost being further from each other)
I personally see this as the biggest challange. Having rode many turbo sleds at many varying elevations that is one thing you notice. How much quicker/faster they spool at lower elevation. Hell my diesel truck is the same way. Lots snappier by the ocean then at 10k. The more NA air density it has, the quicker its making pipe heat and spooling that turbo!

While peak power is the same, the power curve is quite a bit different so things like helix angle may come a lot more into play for low vs high elevation. The midrange power and spool up is going to be a lot faster and more aggressive in the low-mid elevations where the higher you go the more noticable the on/off boost sensation will be.

Again, sounds like a lot of hyper sensetivity by people that haven't rode them. I know the ones I rode all flat ripped and pulled nice steady RPM from the lot to the riding area. Im sure the 2023's will run even more consistent then the 22's. Just the nature of delivering the best and baddest machines as quickly as possible to market.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
That`s funny they advertise that it maintains the same Hp from 0 feet to 11,000 with NO CLUTCH changes,
who is bull ****ting who?
What's your experience with the BD Sidekick or a Agility?
It's the exact same principle as them.

Feb 14, 2010
I'm giving up my turbos. They sound aweful. Kind of sounds like the guy trying to sell us an extended warranty on a car. Finally told him it sounds like a pile of **** and if he didn't shut up they could keep it.
I didn't get to test a doo turbo out. I had to buy one. Not guaranteed you get to test ride. If you test ride you aren't getting the exact thing in the fall anyway. A buddy told me the 21 runs way better than the 20.5 doo. Why is that? They must not have tested it either or it would have been dialed. Prototypes 2 years ago and prototypes now. When we get them in the fall they won't be prototypes. The only one i even heard twitch was the one turcotte rode. You don't know the calibration between it and any of the others or what they're coming with. Don't trust them don't buy it. Simple as that.
Well as far as your buddy telling you the 21 runs way better than the 20.5 doo is total BS, I have a 20.5 and my buddy has a 21 there is no difference in HP or the tune, we switch all the time.
So why would the REP tell me they were going to send a engineer up to Canada with clutching and a new tune ? but he could not fly because of covid. So they sent a box that could put a new tune in it,
So much for being tested for 2 years. these are the facts, not bashing the sled, there is no way you can run the same clutching from sea level to 10,000 does not work that way, the same as Wheel House said, if they had been testing for 2 years they would not have to send another tune, Ski doo never had to change their tune, most people run stock clutching and it will work but it`s not loading the turbo engine at lower elevations and will lose performance. the Polaris boost will be a great sled when they finish testing and get it dialed in, but that should not take 2 or 3 years to do.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Ive seen aftermarket turbo companies tweeting their tunes, and still adjusting things years after they started. Good things take time. And even if Polaris did lie about how long they’ve been testing the new turbo... who freaking cares?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Well as far as your buddy telling you the 21 runs way better than the 20.5 doo is total BS, I have a 20.5 and my buddy has a 21 there is no difference in HP or the tune, we switch all the time.
So why would the REP tell me they were going to send a engineer up to Canada with clutching and a new tune ? but he could not fly because of covid. So they sent a box that could put a new tune in it,
So much for being tested for 2 years. these are the facts, not bashing the sled, there is no way you can run the same clutching from sea level to 10,000 does not work that way, the same as Wheel House said, if they had been testing for 2 years they would not have to send another tune, Ski doo never had to change their tune, most people run stock clutching and it will work but it`s not loading the turbo engine at lower elevations and will lose performance. the Polaris boost will be a great sled when they finish testing and get it dialed in, but that should not take 2 or 3 years to do.
LOL, if your sleds are exactly the same, why would you be switching all the time? Could you even tell if the tune was slightly diff?

I didn't SC a 2022 Boost Matryx (more so bc I have a Axys 800 Sidekick I will beat on for a couple more years), but to think that a new sled operating in diff areas is requiring clutching tweaks and mapping tweaks is not absurd. My work truck is a 2015 GMC 1500 and that thing has had more recall/tweaks to the ecm than you can count. Do I notice any...not really, but they were done.

Im sure your beloved skidoo was tested for 2+ years in 2017 too; broken bulkheads, clutching issues, etc.... it happens. IF the BOOSTS were having serious issues OR breaking down, I would be concerned. A pro rider riding the Sh!t out of a sled and hitting the rev limiter bc the primary wasn't dialed in.....fake news.

B

briand

Nov 27, 2007
Rolly View, Alberta, Canada
What's your experience with the BD Sidekick or a Agility?
It's the exact same principle as them.
Hey Scott I have had a BD EBC turbo now for about 8 years which is very close to the BD sidekick they offer now. Has been great for my 800 pro and found clutching runs the same at home 2200 ft up to 7500 ft. ( as high as i go in my riding areas.) really doubt you would have to change clutching on the new patriate boost unless you are adjusting clutching for snow conditions and not altitude. Hope this helps.

Feb 14, 2010
LOL, if your sleds are exactly the same, why would you be switching all the time? Could you even tell if the tune was slightly diff?

I didn't SC a 2022 Boost Matryx (more so bc I have a Axys 800 Sidekick I will beat on for a couple more years), but to think that a new sled operating in diff areas is requiring clutching tweaks and mapping tweaks is not absurd. My work truck is a 2015 GMC 1500 and that thing has had more recall/tweaks to the ecm than you can count. Do I notice any...not really, but they were done.

Im sure your beloved skidoo was tested for 2+ years in 2017 too; broken bulkheads, clutching issues, etc.... it happens. IF the BOOSTS were having serious issues OR breaking down, I would be concerned. A pro rider riding the Sh!t out of a sled and hitting the rev limiter bc the primary wasn't dialed in.....fake news.
LOL you are funny, <<< if your sleds are exactly the same, why would you be switching all the time? Could you even tell if the tune was slightly diff? >>>
because i have a few different things done to my sled then his, and we are testing them to see if what i did to mine works, has no thing to do with the tune, the tunes are the same.
the guy said the 2021 runs WAY better, well it does not and if it did you would be able to tell if the tune was slightly off.

G
Dec 20, 2007
LOL you are funny, <<< if your sleds are exactly the same, why would you be switching all the time? Could you even tell if the tune was slightly diff? >>>
because i have a few different things done to my sled then his, and we are testing them to see if what i did to mine works, has no thing to do with the tune, the tunes are the same.
the guy said the 2021 runs WAY better, well it does not and if it did you would be able to tell if the tune was slightly off.
So what's different between the sleds; Clutching? Gearing? Intake? Charge tubes? Could these have masked the 2020.5 issues? Was your sled re-flashed at the dealer on a service?

I ask all these question b/c Turboless Terry is a quality poster here. He seems to have a mash of all the lastest and greatest sleds and mods, and reports impartially about them; no brand loyalism or paid sponsorship; its appreciated. As such, I take his word in that the 2020.5 vs 2021 were tuned differently.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Honest question - why?
MY guess...a polaris FU. If I remember correctly, the sled compensates to 10k. As such, if the test units came up from Colorado or Utah (11-12k), they would have had to play with the primary to get them to perform to optimum there (1-2k above boost compensation). Bring that down to BC interior (we run 5-8k mostly), and the thing is going to over rev.

Being in Brandt country and with all the big US Riders, I'm sure they had the full polaris team out to screw with them. From the Turcotte Vids, looks like the sleds came out of the Kamloop's dealers trailer (Outlaw MS); so sleds could have never got touched. And the wt's are not std 10s, so reclutching could be an issue.

Just my 2 cents......

G
Dec 20, 2007
Hey Scott I have had a BD EBC turbo now for about 8 years which is very close to the BD sidekick they offer now. Has been great for my 800 pro and found clutching runs the same at home 2200 ft up to 7500 ft. ( as high as i go in my riding areas.) really doubt you would have to change clutching on the new patriate boost unless you are adjusting clutching for snow conditions and not altitude. Hope this helps.
I ride 5-7.5k with a Axys 800 sidekick. It runs flawless and constant in this range (8550-8600rpm); right in the compensating zone. Having said that, I often unload at 2-3k and ride up. Down low it will over rev and DET without some Av or race fuel. I just don't ride it WOT down low, and run 1-1.5 gallon of C12 per tank as to not DET.

In watching the Turcotte's Vid, that thing was on the bar, and potentially clutched for 11-12k, but running at 5-7k. So, much like my situation down low, the primary wts are too light for the boost.

Feb 14, 2010
So what's different between the sleds; Clutching? Gearing? Intake? Charge tubes? Could these have masked the 2020.5 issues? Was your sled re-flashed at the dealer on a service?

I ask all these question b/c Turboless Terry is a quality poster here. He seems to have a mash of all the lastest and greatest sleds and mods, and reports impartially about them; no brand loyalism or paid sponsorship; its appreciated. As such, I take his word in that the 2020.5 vs 2021 were tuned differently.
I trmmed my track down to 2.7 inch lugs, same gearing, What issues with the 2020.5 ? you make no sense do you even own one ? you are talking out of your ass! there are NO ISSUES with the 2020.5
I have over 1000 kms on mine with NO ISSUES. same belt, higher gearing same as the 21 turbo.

Premium Features