• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel Pump Whine is Back (2022 w fixes)

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
I know this has been discussed to a nauseating degree but I wanted to see if anyone had a real fix for the fuel pump whine. A little background...

1) My pump was swapped out for a new one in addition to all the fixes last year. It ran fine with no whining until the last (warmer) ride.
2) It is now audibly whining pretty bad. No codes yet, but I was having a low boost problem to begin with. Now that I've remedied the boost problem, I'm worried I'm going to run into fuel pump problems. The sled unfortunately just lost its warranty.

Polaris is out of the fuel pump to begin with. Has anyone actually figured out how to really fix the whine? Or is it something to not worry about until you see codes? Its pretty loud. TIA!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
My buddies new 24 boost has the same whine.

At this point I’d say it is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
Mine started to whine a bit too. Next ride I’m going to toss a cup of oil in the fuel tank to see if that will lube the pump enough to stop the whine. Maybe make it last a bit longer too.

C
Nov 19, 2009
I know this has been discussed to a nauseating degree but I wanted to see if anyone had a real fix for the fuel pump whine. A little background...

1) My pump was swapped out for a new one in addition to all the fixes last year. It ran fine with no whining until the last (warmer) ride.
2) It is now audibly whining pretty bad. No codes yet, but I was having a low boost problem to begin with. Now that I've remedied the boost problem, I'm worried I'm going to run into fuel pump problems. The sled unfortunately just lost its warranty.

Polaris is out of the fuel pump to begin with. Has anyone actually figured out how to really fix the whine? Or is it something to not worry about until you see codes? Its pretty loud. TIA!
My sleds doing the exact same thing. I know when i put one of those buick filters in last year. The wine stopped. Of course the dealer put the updated sock in. I bet the filters are plugging up

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I ride in the flatland world primarily, but we've found that excessively noisy fuel pumps are often traced to the in-tank fuel pick up filter being plugged. I've had it happen on one of my sleds also. After riding for a few hours, it would be loud enough to hear with the sled idling and me wearing earplugs. I changed the pickup filter and everything was back to normal. It also seems as though filters in certain years have a greater tendency to plug than others - maybe the micron rating was smaller? Also, ignoring the issue will eventually kill the fuel pump, so best to get it taken care of.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
My 23 boost started whining for the first time last weekend on and off intermittently. Ambient temps were really warm in alpine all weekend. I’m thinking it’s the exchanger heat soaking the pump and causing the issue

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
my '23 boost pump has started whining. today it is much louder.
what's the fix?

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Take your time when pulling it out so you don’t damage the float it’s pretty easy and don’t forget there are alignment marks when you reinstall it
alignment marks? i didn't notice anything... anyway you can point them out? pic ?
are they in this pic? this was before i pulled it out1535A788-BC6D-4C93-A1F0-C9589235AD14_1_102_o.jpeg

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I don’t have pics I believe there is an arrow on top to get the correct orientation of the assembly in the tank. It’s been a couple years since I’ve done one. Maybe someone can chime in or show pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
From the first photo you can’t really see it, from the second when zoomed in there are two lines on the pump housing just inside of the retainer nut. The aren’t very obvious, kind of look like they were scratched on there with a pick. This is my 22 boost I took apart back in Feb of 22. You can see mine was not quite lined up from factory.

IMG_8013.png IMG_8012.png

Premium Features