• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Calling all the people that have test ridden a boost!! FUEL...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
So what's different between the sleds; Clutching? Gearing? Intake? Charge tubes? Could these have masked the 2020.5 issues? Was your sled re-flashed at the dealer on a service?

I ask all these question b/c Turboless Terry is a quality poster here. He seems to have a mash of all the lastest and greatest sleds and mods, and reports impartially about them; no brand loyalism or paid sponsorship; its appreciated. As such, I take his word in that the 2020.5 vs 2021 were tuned differently.
I don't know if they are tuned different. Taking a buddy's word that the 21 runs better. Ive rode both but not in the same season. They get them better each year without saying anything. People always ask what the best year is to buy. The last year of a model always runs the best. I always said a person was crazy for buying an early release because they always change a few things and the fall release always run better. What did i do? I bought the 2020.5. Didn't listen to my own advise.

Feb 14, 2010
May be an image of car and text that says 'QUICK PICTURE OF THE POLARIS BOOST BEING DEVELOPED IN THE CORPORATE R&D LAB Folger'

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

I don't know your background, but you appear to have something to learn about variable boost/specific HP tuning. You need to look at things a different way.

Polaris, Ski Doo, Boondocker Sidekick/Agility (and probably others too) are NOT targeting a specific boost.
They are targeting a specific horsepower.

This is altitude compensating horsepower.

They adjust the timing and boost to achieve a specific target horsepower at the desired altitude range, which for Polaris it's 190ish from 0-10k feet.

If it makes 190hp and spins 8400 rpm at sea level AND at 10,000 feet, why would it need different clutching, except for changing snow conditions?

Last edited:
G
Dec 20, 2007
I don't know if they are tuned different. Taking a buddy's word that the 21 runs better. Ive rode both but not in the same season. They get them better each year without saying anything. People always ask what the best year is to buy. The last year of a model always runs the best. I always said a person was crazy for buying an early release because they always change a few things and the fall release always run better. What did i do? I bought the 2020.5. Didn't listen to my own advise.

Always appreciate your take Terry; in my years here you’ve rode sleds from all the big 3 and give true unbiased opinions.

In terms of 1709; he just needs to look at that vid Jaynelson posted. That comparison is like turbo to non turbo (yes; 155x15 vs 165x16..but still!!). CRAZY!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I ride 5-7.5k with a Axys 800 sidekick. It runs flawless and constant in this range (8550-8600rpm); right in the compensating zone. Having said that, I often unload at 2-3k and ride up. Down low it will over rev and DET without some Av or race fuel. I just don't ride it WOT down low, and run 1-1.5 gallon of C12 per tank as to not DET.

In watching the Turcotte's Vid, that thing was on the bar, and potentially clutched for 11-12k, but running at 5-7k. So, much like my situation down low, the primary wts are too light for the boost.

Your BD kit depending on the turbo can only compensate from about 5,000 ft on up. That is because below 5,000 ft the wastegate can not bleed off enough air.

My 15 work separate wastegate would work almost exactly the same from 1000’ To 12,000+. Within a couple hundred rpm.

The stock turbo sled will do the same. It will be same weights from 0-11,000 ft.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Your BD kit depending on the turbo can only compensate from about 5,000 ft on up. That is because below 5,000 ft the wastegate can not bleed off enough air.

My 15 work separate wastegate would work almost exactly the same from 1000’ To 12,000+. Within a couple hundred rpm.

The stock turbo sled will do the same. It will be same weights from 0-11,000 ft.

ya, u bet. was just trying to point out that clutching can get skewed when u go outside of the compensating range. In the Boosts case >10k; in my case <5k

Feb 14, 2010

I don't know your background, but you appear to have something to learn about variable boost/specific HP tuning. You need to look at things a different way.

Polaris, Ski Doo, Boondocker Sidekick/Agility (and probably others too) are NOT targeting a specific boost.
They are targeting a specific horsepower.

This is altitude compensating horsepower.

They adjust the timing and boost to achieve a specific target horsepower at the desired altitude range, which for Polaris it's 190ish from 0-10k feet.

If it makes 190hp and spins 8400 rpm at sea level AND at 10,000 feet, why would it need different clutching, except for changing snow conditions?
Well what about this ? by you no need to adjust clutching, that`s not what he is saying, you guys should get together and get your story`s straight.

[IMG alt="kidder17"]https://www.snowest.com/forum/data/avatars/l/47/47677.jpg?1562023195[/IMG]

kidder17

Well-known member​

Lifetime Membership

goridedoo said:

Anyone else notice some of the Boost sleds sound like they are hitting a rev limiter every time they are held wide open?
The Boost sleds that have been sent into Canada are clutched at 10000'. The areas they are being taken out to in B.C. are in the 5500-7000' range.....

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Well what about this ? by you no need to adjust clutching, that`s not what he is saying, you guys should get together and get your story`s straight.

[IMG alt="kidder17"]https://www.snowest.com/forum/data/avatars/l/47/47677.jpg?1562023195[/IMG]

kidder17

Well-known member​

Lifetime Membership

The Boost sleds that have been sent into Canada are clutched at 10000'. The areas they are being taken out to in B.C. are in the 5500-7000' range.....
Which one of his posts are you referring to.
Not sure what he has said, but I know I sat with Polaris engineers and we went over this sled for a couple hours.
Then I rode with them for a day...again...going over this pretty closely.

Also, with my Boondocker Sidekick turbo, I've learned a lot about altitude compensating turbo systems the last three years with that too.

Feb 14, 2010
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I was all hyped and excited about the boost until the turcotte vid that was posted. A 155, 60 lb lighter sled making less than 50mph track speed!! I know what my doo makes in those conditions geared down two teeth on the top!
At least the doo chose a fresh line where the Polaris chose to poach all the way to the top.

That vid did not help at all, and I agree with 1709, there seems to be info posted that’s being redacted, or misleading.
Like the industry leading three selectable mapp choices, no clutching changes from sealevel to altitude.

My Doo turbo has no problem over revving at 3000ft at home.

Im not here to bash but learn more about the Polaris, unfortunately the more I learn, the more I wonder. Hopefully I will get to throw a leg over one this weekend. Oh and BTW. The doo turbos are being dynoed at alot higher HP than the claimed 165.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Lol all this speculation... if anyone knows me I was getting pretty agro towards polaris and then boom! Guess who was first in line for one of these? Personally can't wait to abuse mine! I mean that GENUINELY. We all know what skidoo brings to the table. probably the most advanced motor built by very conservative types... and then there's polaris with a chassis that has actually worked for most since 2011. Choice was SO easy for me. Beating a dead horse with all the speculation- trust me come Christmas there will be some of us posting videos. Maybe even sleds forsale? Who knows... you guys keep this up and we could link epstien to polaris by July! I dig it either way, but let's keep it in reality. These sleds were destroying skidoo before... on the track, the rmsha performances say enough alone.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Premium Features