• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Calling all the people that have test ridden a boost!! FUEL...

Feb 14, 2010
Sounds like you better stick with skidoo?
Yes you are right, when Ski Doo brought out their turbo they sent them to dealers to let people test ride them, for 3 months any one could test ride these turbos, and they beat the **** out of them, I don`t see Polaris doing that. now why is that ? some people walk around with blinders on. and yes i snow checked one, but after seeing it in person and watching videos of it I am not so sure i want one.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Yes you are right, when Ski Doo brought out their turbo they sent them to dealers to let people test ride them, for 3 months any one could test ride these turbos, and they beat the **** out of them, I don`t see Polaris doing that. now why is that ? some people walk around with blinders on. and yes i snow checked one, but after seeing it in person and watching videos of it I am not so sure i want one.

You should probably let someone else deal with the pain and anguish.

It’s the Woke thing to do.

Just think of all the fun times you can have digging for any issues folks on the internet might have with the boost sleds next season. Then you can laugh and call them out as brand loyal imbeciles.

All while being protected and loved for your individuality in the echo chamber of “glue is bad” and “only done right by French Canadians”

Feb 14, 2010
well for your info i have owned all 4 brands of sleds over the last 30 years, i don`t own any shares in any of those companies, i call it the way it is, sorry to hurt your feelings toward Polaris. facts are facts, and looks to me like you have problems with "French Canadians". Maybe you have been sniffing that glue for to long.

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
well if they had been testing this turbo sled for a couple of years like they said, it would have been dialed in by now. seems like they are doing the testing now.
I don't think it's bad that they're still tweaking and working on things like tunes and clutching. I understand the idea that if they have had this out for two years it should be more dialed but I doubt this engine has been in the chassis for that period of time with this clutch etc. It's probably just now all coming together for larger scale use in the last few months. I know several guys that were part of the new Ford Bronco testing offroad, they talk about Ford interviewing them after a test drive and asking them very pointed questions about the handling or how the engine was behaving at very specific points in their drive. It turned out that Ford engineers had all of their sensors, cameras, and testing equipment logging everything and they needed driver feedback to know how to handle the data they had. There were changes being made even as Ford was unveiling the Bronco to the public.

I believe Polaris is doing that part of the process now, they have enough pre-production sleds out to the riders that are going to push them beyond what's been done to date, and ride them places that engineers only dream of. They will take the data and rider feedback to finalize the production sleds, it wouldn't even surprise me to see a few minor tweaks and dimensional changes to parts based on this part of the testing.

Yes there's a LOT of new here, but there is enough aftermarket backup to say that the idea of a boosted 850 works well and Polaris should be able to improve upon that with their factory size and efforts.

Feb 14, 2010
According to the REP, they are 4 years ahead of production, So this chassis has been in the works for 4 years, it`s not new to them, the clutch is off of the Razer, not new, I know there will be refinements to any sled as far as tunes go, that happens year to year, I am just saying they are putting this sled out before they have done enought testing, they wanted it out to answer Ski Doos turbo, and that`s great, Love it, it`s the hottest thing out there for this year, wish they had done more tuning and clutching and done the same thing as Ski Doo and sent demos to the dealers and let the public test ride and beat the **** out of them, that`s a true test.

C

cdadragon

Jun 16, 2010
CDA Idaho
According to the REP, they are 4 years ahead of production, So this chassis has been in the works for 4 years, it`s not new to them, the clutch is off of the Razer, not new, I know there will be refinements to any sled as far as tunes go, that happens year to year, I am just saying they are putting this sled out before they have done enought testing, they wanted it out to answer Ski Doos turbo, and that`s great, Love it, it`s the hottest thing out there for this year, wish they had done more tuning and clutching and done the same thing as Ski Doo and sent demos to the dealers and let the public test ride and beat the **** out of them, that`s a true test.
Maybe you should go back to the Skidoo forum and complain about there products. I personally don't see the point of bashing a sled that you say you have snowchecked and comparing the marketing approach utilized to doo. Give up your snowcheck and buy something else. there will be thousands of others that would gladly take it. Loser!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
There are a very limited number of prototypes running around, on a very tight time/travel schedule. Got first hand that the one Turcotte was riding had WAY too light of weights in it, as it came from an area with much higher riding elevation, and they didn't have time to change it up.

Feb 14, 2010
There are a very limited number of prototypes running around, on a very tight time/travel schedule. Got first hand that the one Turcotte was riding had WAY too light of weights in it, as it came from an area with much higher riding elevation, and they didn't have time to change it up.
That`s funny they advertise that it maintains the same Hp from 0 feet to 11,000 with NO CLUTCH changes,
who is bull ****ting who?

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
That`s funny they advertise that it maintains the same Hp from 0 feet to 11,000 with NO CLUTCH changes,
It sounds like you should send in a resume to Polaris then since you know so much, just think of all of the improvements you could make!

Until then, it just seems like they are testing different configurations in the hands of the best riders in the mountains. Maybe they are seeing what works best under certain conditions?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
And no manufacturer has ever tested a bunch of different clutching setups in prototypes?
Or loaded different maps in different prototypes?

low humidity (at high elevation) often creates lower rpm than the elevation differential from just the high to low elevation power drop. (Bc and AK have low elevation high humidity being coastal)

Often clutch kits that work in low elevation interior overev in coastal low elevation.

Please remember when calling someone else brand loyal what forum you are in..........

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
No one. Any clutch that has clutch weights can obviously have too much or too little weight in it. It's entirely possible the weights were too light period, or it came from an area >11000 ft. It stands to reason in a turbo sled that compensates for altitude can use the same weights across a spectrum of altitude, as it's making roughly the same power across a spectrum of altitude. They can still be testing setups that might work better for one area that don't work well in another area, and elevation is just one part of the picture. Not to mention on the proto sleds, they also often roll around with a computer trying different tunes and all that as well....it's not cut and dry. I rode the 850 prototypes back in spring 2018....we had 3 sleds, and they all ran noticeably different, with different tunes and clutching changes. Just the way it is with "test" models.

Was just trying to shed some light on why it was over-revving

Feb 14, 2010
It sounds like you should send in a resume to Polaris then since you know so much, just think of all of the improvements you could make!

Until then, it just seems like they are testing different configurations in the hands of the best riders in the mountains. Maybe they are seeing what works best under certain conditions?
WOW, did you read the other posts ? they said they have been testing for 2 years, so what you are saying is that they only tested in the same conditions ? and now they are seeing what works best under certain conditions ?
Sounds like a few of you should take an afternoon nap, your not thinking straight, and getting crabby, Lol.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Like it or not, they will be trying new tunes and clutching up to the day they ship the out. Polaris has delivered the goods! Will it be perfect probably not. They didn't have to go straight to 9lbs. They could have dragged that out for many years.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Like it or not, they will be trying new tunes and clutching up to the day they ship the out. Polaris has delivered the goods! Will it be perfect probably not. They didn't have to go straight to 9lbs. They could have dragged that out for many years.
Yup - they had a bunch of test sleds on our mountain yesterday. My dealer who is a championship hillclimb racer was hosting. I see absolutely nothing wrong with them continuing to test. Whatever testing they were able to accomplish in secret over the last couple of years had to be extremely limited and now that the thing is no longer a secret they can begin to build a significantly larger data base based on real world conditions across a wide spectrum of riders which will indeed result in tweaking of various aspects. Why does anyone think that that is a bad thing? Good grief!

Feb 14, 2010
Yup - they had a bunch of test sleds on our mountain yesterday. My dealer who is a championship hillclimb racer was hosting. I see absolutely nothing wrong with them continuing to test. Whatever testing they were able to accomplish in secret over the last couple of years had to be extremely limited and now that the thing is no longer a secret they can begin to build a significantly larger data base based on real world conditions across a wide spectrum of riders which will indeed result in tweaking of various aspects. Why does anyone think that that is a bad thing? Good grief!
OK, how long do you think it takes to test, clutch and tune a turbo sled ? 2 years, 3 years or 4 years,
they have engineers and test pilots all over North America, they can go to Chile in our summer months, just like Brant did, it should not take that long to tune and clutch a sled,
but now they need heavier weights and a different tune, If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it`s a duck.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Wow - lots of bashing here. @1709 - you make some great points. Keep them coming. I have one ordered and fully expect there to be some hiccups. I am excited for the sled, but 10-20 demo sleds will not find all the bugs as 3000 sleds. I have had great luck with first year polaris products 2011 pro, 2016 axys, 2020 pro 4 xp SXS, and luckily I missed some of the not so great first year products. Doo - I hit some not so great first year like 2008 xp for one. My experience was I have lost 2 doo engines and zero polaris, so I buy polaris for now. the skidoo turbo is a great sled and for the money, probably a better deal!! I just prefer the polaris chassis and clutching and super excited about the matrix slash boost. Fingers crossed for a great first year, but I am okay if I have to change my clutching a bit - I do that to all my sleds, even the skidoos :)

Feb 14, 2010
Wow - lots of bashing here. @1709 - you make some great points. Keep them coming. I have one ordered and fully expect there to be some hiccups. I am excited for the sled, but 10-20 demo sleds will not find all the bugs as 3000 sleds. I have had great luck with first year polaris products 2011 pro, 2016 axys, 2020 pro 4 xp SXS, and luckily I missed some of the not so great first year products. Doo - I hit some not so great first year like 2008 xp for one. My experience was I have lost 2 doo engines and zero polaris, so I buy polaris for now. the skidoo turbo is a great sled and for the money, probably a better deal!! I just prefer the polaris chassis and clutching and super excited about the matrix slash boost. Fingers crossed for a great first year, but I am okay if I have to change my clutching a bit - I do that to all my sleds, even the skidoos :)
Please don`t take this as bashing, Polaris makes good sleds as well as all of them do, I just do not like it when Polaris comes out and says they have been testing for 2 or more years and that HP levels are the same from 0 feet to 11,000 feet with NO CLUTCH changes, that is BS, I am not saying that sled is no good, in fact I said in a early post, it`s the hottest thing out there this year, and I love it, We all win from Polaris bring out a factory turbo, in fact i snow checked one, to compare with my Ski doo factory turbo, but After the BS i hear and the videos i see, i doubt what Polaris is saying is the truth, not bashing the sled, stating facts, nothing that will not be fixed for next year, just stating facts as i see them, no doubt it`s going to be the best Polaris sled they have put out to date. i am not a die hard Ski Doo lover, after all i had an 2008 and 2009 dragon 800 twisted turbos, how sad is that, lol. had a 2012 pro on juice.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Please don`t take this as bashing, Polaris makes good sleds as well as all of them do, I just do not like it when Polaris comes out and says they have been testing for 2 or more years and that HP levels are the same from 0 feet to 11,000 feet with NO CLUTCH changes, that is BS, I am not saying that sled is no good, in fact I said in a early post, it`s the hottest thing out there this year, and I love it, We all win from Polaris bring out a factory turbo, in fact i snow checked one, to compare with my Ski doo factory turbo, but After the BS i hear and the videos i see, i doubt what Polaris is saying is the truth, not bashing the sled, stating facts, nothing that will not be fixed for next year, just stating facts as i see them, no doubt it`s going to be the best Polaris sled they have put out to date. i am not a die hard Ski Doo lover, after all i had an 2008 and 2009 dragon 800 twisted turbos, how sad is that, lol. had a 2012 pro on juice.
I mean to be fair if they are maintaining HP they shouldn't need to change the clutching?

I did notice there is a high/low calibration option when snowchecking though.

Premium Features