• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen5 chassis in 2022??

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
i was planning on ordering a 2021 Turbo, but I'm second guessing it now with a day left to order. I'm just having a hard time spending $17 plus on a what will be 5 year old chassis, I already have a Impulse turbo XM and have never really thought the Gen 4 was all that great. Anyone else see the 2021 being the last year of the Gen 4?

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
With this covid virus sled sales are probably in the toilet for all the brands, probably no new chassis from any of them next winter.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My bet is it is not. Look how long they went with the xp. They just made small alterations and transitioned to the xm. I think they will do the same with the gen4.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
plus the G4 was built with the 850 in mind and more than likely the turbo as well, like terry said...expect maybe refinements only for awhile

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
YA thats what I was thinking, I figures they spent a lot of R and D to put the turbo in the Expert chassis so it should be around for at least a while more as a refined G4.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
i was planning on ordering a 2021 Turbo, but I'm second guessing it now with a day left to order. I'm just having a hard time spending $17 plus on a what will be 5 year old chassis, I already have a Impulse turbo XM and have never really thought the Gen 4 was all that great. Anyone else see the 2021 being the last year of the Gen 4?
I’m in the same boat. I have an Expert already was thinking of going turbo, but I’m not giving my 2020 away. I think I’ll wait until 2022 for my upgrade.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Have been on the fence and have decided to ride my 2020 Expert 165 next year. Great sled! Probably best out of the box OEM sled I have ever owned, so easy to ride and there nothing keeping me from adding a turbo to my 2020. The 165 HP factory turbo is great but most the after market turbo kits are closer to 200 HP.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Given BRP's layoffs, furloughs and delaying capital expenditures, I'm thinking it might be more like 2024 or 2025 G5 now?

Bold new colors will be the new G4.5!

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Yea but that aftermarket turbo lag is a drag!
We have a 17 Summit X 165 with a BoonDocker Sidekick Turbo in the fleet and it is amazing, no noticeable delay in power delivery just be careful where the sled is pointed when you grab full throttle because things start happening quickly. The sled is an absolute monster it makes so much power, basically only bring it out for really deep days when the power is useful and not overkill.

D

dropitbuster

Nov 28, 2007
Terrace B.C.

I have a 2018 Gen 4 and got the opportunity to ride the 2020.5 850T. It is not the same sled. The xpert package changes the sled so much. The short tunnel, new spindles and adjustable limiter strap make the sled so easy to ride and easily adjustable to any conditions. I would compare it to the change from the XP to the XM. Same chassis but a completely different ride. The turbo is seamless, feels much more than the claimed 165hp and doesn't stop pulling. I loved the 850T so much I bought it and have 600 km on it so far. As for a G5? Smart sled owners know not to buy a first year model. I learned the hard way with an 08 XP.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I have a 2018 Gen 4 and got the opportunity to ride the 2020.5 850T. It is not the same sled. The xpert package changes the sled so much. The short tunnel, new spindles and adjustable limiter strap make the sled so easy to ride and easily adjustable to any conditions. I would compare it to the change from the XP to the XM. Same chassis but a completely different ride. The turbo is seamless, feels much more than the claimed 165hp and doesn't stop pulling. I loved the 850T so much I bought it and have 600 km on it so far. As for a G5? Smart sled owners know not to buy a first year model. I learned the hard way with an 08 XP.

Did you try the adjustable limiter strap? Did it make a difference?

D

dropitbuster

Nov 28, 2007
Terrace B.C.
Did you try the adjustable limiter strap? Did it make a difference?

I did play with it quite a bit because it only takes about 15 seconds to change. I found I prefer it in the long position for boondocking and tree riding because I like the playful feel and being able to raise the skis on demand. But when you want to climb set it to short and the sled is a rocket. Kept the skis about 6 inches off the snow. The interesting thing I found about the turbo is even in deep snow on a steep hill when the sled wheelies and you start to lose ground speed you just had to let off the throttle, let the skis settle down and hit the throttle again. The track speed would recover so quickly and you could keep climbing. With my NA I would definitely be turning out. I think the short tunnel increases track speed too.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I did play with it quite a bit because it only takes about 15 seconds to change. I found I prefer it in the long position for boondocking and tree riding because I like the playful feel and being able to raise the skis on demand. But when you want to climb set it to short and the sled is a rocket. Kept the skis about 6 inches off the snow. The interesting thing I found about the turbo is even in deep snow on a steep hill when the sled wheelies and you start to lose ground speed you just had to let off the throttle, let the skis settle down and hit the throttle again. The track speed would recover so quickly and you could keep climbing. With my NA I would definitely be turning out. I think the short tunnel increases track speed too.

What setting doo you have it on? The 2/4 or 3/5? Thanks.

B
Nov 18, 2011
We have a 17 Summit X 165 with a BoonDocker Sidekick Turbo in the fleet and it is amazing, no noticeable delay in power delivery just be careful where the sled is pointed when you grab full throttle because things start happening quickly. The sled is an absolute monster it makes so much power, basically only bring it out for really deep days when the power is useful and not overkill.
That is good to hear. I have only ridden my buddies 850 etec with a Silber kit and the lag is horrible. We both wondered if the boondocker kit had a better low to mid powerband.

Premium Features