• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Eureka conditions???

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
...really snow?

http://www.eurekalodge.com/weather.html

FPAK51PAFC_AKZ141
-----------------
AKZ141-271400-
COPPER RIVER BASIN-
INCLUDING...GLENNALLEN...EUREKA...MCCARTHY...PAXSON...SLANA
400 PM AKST SAT DEC 26 2009
.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SNOW SHOWERS SOUTH OF GLENNALLEN. SNOW
ACCUMULATION UP TO 2 INCHES SOUTH OF GLENNALLEN. LOWS 5 TO 15 ABOVE.
VARIABLE WIND 10 MPH.
.SUNDAY...CLOUDY. ISOLATED SNOW SHOWERS ALONG THE WRANGELL MOUNTAINS.
HIGHS 15 TO 20. VARIABLE WIND TO 10 MPH.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. ISOLATED SNOW SHOWERS IN THE EVENING...
THEN A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS 5 TO 15 ABOVE.
LIGHT WINDS.
.MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 15 TO 20. LIGHT WINDS.
.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS ZERO TO 10 ABOVE. LIGHT
WINDS.
.TUESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS 5 TO 15.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 5 BELOW TO 5 ABOVE.
.WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 5 TO 15.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE
OF SNOW. LOWS ZERO TO 10 ABOVE. HIGHS IN THE TEENS.

&&
TEMPERATURE / PRECIPITATION

GLENNALLEN 8 14 8 13 / 0 0 20 0

$$

Derived from FPAK51PAFC - Updated 20:21 12/26/2009

as of thursday they had about 16-18 inches(might be deeper at the mountains on the sothside)my buddies are up there this weekend so I will know more tomorrow night....

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Yes, please post up, we are wanting to head up there Sunday. Here is a view from the Garmin Rino to Map Source, to Google Earth, showing some Eureka tracks.

Eureka Google earth.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Yes, please post up, we are wanting to head up there Sunday. Here is a view from the Garmin Rino to Map Source, to Google Earth, showing some Eureka tracks.

those your tracks or just what garmin had? the farthest out one looks like the trail to lake loise(I have about 30,000 miles out there over the last 15 years(averaged about 5000 a year.....)good riding out there but not enough snow yet I dont think....

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Yeah man, those are from about three years ago last time Eureka had good snow), I was new to the area, and being Sherpa to other newer riders, and had a machine that would ish* the bed on me if it got to far form the truck.

We have been itching to go back ever since. Here is a better log, with Waypoints.

Gotta' love Garmin.

Eureka Google earth.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Yeah man, those are from about three years ago last time Eureka had good snow), I was new to the area, and being Sherpa to other newer riders, and had a machine that would ish* the bed on me if it got to far form the truck.

We have been itching to go back ever since. Here is a better log, with Waypoints.

Gotta' love Garmin.

the southside trail must be going up to the glacier? havent done that one in years..funny ride...I concentrate on the northside..up above the little O...

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Above the Little O huh? Maybe we will hit there tomorrow, I never really knew where to go then, but I have heard of a few destinations since.

We rode around the Monument Area a few times, and found a pile of moose in a creek canyon once elsewhere, we stopped and looked around and they were all sitting in the sun, on the banks of the river, chillin'

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Above the Little O huh? Maybe we will hit there tomorrow, I never really knew where to go then, but I have heard of a few destinations since.

We rode around the Monument Area a few times, and found a pile of moose in a creek canyon once elsewhere, we stopped and looked around and they were all sitting in the sun, on the banks of the river, chillin'

its really rocky up on the little O..when your sitting on monument looking north across the little nelchina ...if you go across that trail to the next river(tyonne creek) there is some pretty decent riding in that area....(if theres any snow)

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
Used to hunt Tyone creek, years ago. You guys ride downstream in the swamps, or upstream? Seems kinda brushy, in my memory. Not a lot of open areas or places to climb except to the north (forget what creek that is north of tyone) and up on big bones ridge.

Seems like a long way to go. Used to just ride Gunsite and Berringer, mostly. Always found good snow.

John

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
Finally rode Eureka... Sat 26th. One of my buddies got a DUI the 24th early AM and had my cell phone and sled tether in his truck. Finally was able to get to my stuff and rallied Reeeeka.

Rode southside. Followed groomed trail until it ended and continued to the mountain side. Stayed on the little bench and rode toward the valley that has China bowl. Snow is 'decent' in spots along the way, but the risk of hitting a stump in the 3.5 feet of bottomless powder is very high. Another 2 feet and the southside will be the Eureka we all love. Climbed up that first bench and then dropped into the river bed. River is open in many places and is sketchy for sure. Lots of rideable terrain right there in the beginning, but the further i got back the thinner it got(i expected the opposite). When i turned around, it was a complete whiteout snowing super hard. Spent the night at my buddies cabin and when i left earlier today, it looked like it was still snowing back there... so maybe soon enough!?

Was riding with someone(nameless) :) on a Nitro who nailed a tree going 30ish... the frontend of that sled is def. in need of some TLC.

EDIT! On a side note, if you like hunting... i've never seen so many rabbits in my life!!!! The Lynx have gotta be around!!!

I won't ride there again until i hear of a major storm moving through...

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Used to hunt Tyone creek, years ago. You guys ride downstream in the swamps, or upstream? Seems kinda brushy, in my memory. Not a lot of open areas or places to climb except to the north (forget what creek that is north of tyone) and up on big bones ridge.

Seems like a long way to go. Used to just ride Gunsite and Berringer, mostly. Always found good snow.

John

normally all the brush is buried but a few spots..actually is alot of good little hills to play on in that area..I ride more west and north from there..the creek you mean I think is yacko?

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
North and west would be upstream, and I would think that would be better riding. There is a trail (called red fox?) goes up and over into yacko from nelchina upstream of monument, I think (on the east side), and if I recall, it forks and one heads back south to upper tyone creek, and the other supposed to find its way out on the big O, I think, or maybe on big bones ridge. I should take the GPS up there and wander around with extra gas someday, and get reaquainted.

Thanks for the report, Trav. From the sounds of rain to the south, I may try that area this next weekend.

John

S

sassymae

Jan 1, 2008
ANC
Heading up to Eureka Wed morning,hopefully the snow will be good. Stay tune. Happy trails

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
North and west would be upstream, and I would think that would be better riding. There is a trail (called red fox?) goes up and over into yacko from nelchina upstream of monument, I think (on the east side), and if I recall, it forks and one heads back south to upper tyone creek, and the other supposed to find its way out on the big O, I think, or maybe on big bones ridge. I should take the GPS up there and wander around with extra gas someday, and get reaquainted.

Thanks for the report, Trav. From the sounds of rain to the south, I may try that area this next weekend.

John

yes the tyone creek trail headed west turns into the redfox trail and will eventually take you to either the little nelchina or out to the little o..my buddy said snow was pretty good back in by yacko..he didnt go to my cabin but said the mountains are white...still needs more snow..hopefully we get a good snow thru in the next week or so...

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
We rode this weekend and it was c-c-c-cooooolllld! On the way up on Friday morning we came across -24 just past old Gunsight Lodge. Once we got to Eureka Lodge it warmed up to -15. After lunch we rode down to the Nelchina River and the powder was pretty good down there. The area definitely needs more snow but the powder was deep enough to carve and play in. It was probably close to -25 on the river, needless to say we didn't stay long. Today it didn't get above -13 and so we opted to not ride. Over all it was a beautiful weekend in Eureka, but it definitely could use 3 more feet of snow.

DSC09066.jpg DSC09065.jpg

N
Sep 4, 2009
Palmer AK
We rode this weekend and it was c-c-c-cooooolllld! On the way up on Friday morning we came across -24 just past old Gunsight Lodge. Once we got to Eureka Lodge it warmed up to -15. After lunch we rode down to the Nelchina River and the powder was pretty good down there. The area definitely needs more snow but the powder was deep enough to carve and play in. It was probably close to -25 on the river, needless to say we didn't stay long. Today it didn't get above -13 and so we opted to not ride. Over all it was a beautiful weekend in Eureka, but it definitely could use 3 more feet of snow.

it looks better than it did all last year. I drove up once last year and did not even unload.

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
We rode again this weekend. God I love Eureka this time of the year! It is so beautiful, and it wasn't quite as cold as it was last weekend but still below zero at about -5. Who says there's no snow up there? :rolleyes: It's allllllll a matter of perspective........ ;)

DSC02382.jpg

DSC02386.jpg

DSC02389.jpg

DSC02373.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02381.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
We rode again this weekend. God I love Eureka this time of the year! It is so beautiful, and it wasn't quite as cold as it was last weekend but still below zero at about -5. Who says there's no snow up there? :rolleyes: It's allllllll a matter of perspective........ ;)

nice pics..why dont you run back in to my cabin and see how it looks?...lol looks like you guys had a good time....:beer;

Premium Features