• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Used sled info needed

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
So you don't think the extra bore compensates for the extra weight? By nose heavy, do you think it throws the balance off?

This is the info I'm looking for actually. Thank you all for the insight. I definitely have something to think about now.

Don't count out the m1000 at all. Had an 08, s&p pipe, intake, CPC head and it friggin ripped. No reliability issues with the engine. Didn't put over 2k mi though.
Best part is they are cheap compared to 800s. Little heavy but nothing you can't toss around the same as a M7. Advice would be a 09 or 10 model, and find someone who spent all the money on the right mods.

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
If your still in the market

If your still in the market took a good look at the Ski-doo E-tecs. When the T-3 came out last month for snow check the used market took a thousand dollar hit as a bunch of riders are dumping their late model sleds to snow check a T-3. I just picked up a 2013 Summit 800 E-tec XM with a 163 track with 390 miles for $8000. There are plenty of good buys out there now. Anyway the 800 E-tec came out in 2011 in the mountain sleds and has a ton of horsepower and I know riders how have over 5000 hard mountain miles and have not touched their motors.

M
Mar 7, 2008
If looking used and want great sleds maybe go for 2010 or 2011 M8 or
2011 800 ETEC XM. I've owned these sleds, all excellent/reliable.

I would put tether on the M8's or if go with the XM that's factory equipment. Never ride without a tether.

Have fun, congrats on getting a kid to college :)

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Guys....you realize the OP is a newb from Iowa right?
He's probably not looking for the ultimate boondocking, treethrashing, turboed mountain monster. One trip out west a year means he might just ride the sled back home too. In which case a M1000 isn't a bad sled to look at. Personally I'd agree with the majority and give the nod to the 10-11 M8 HO. However the trail characteristics of these M8's are slightly better than absolutely horrible. Unless you find one that's been reworked, that setup sucked. I personally loved those M8's, but I'm young and could care less about how my sled rides on the trail most of the time. Hell, I own a stiff as bricks M-10 under my T-Vec. So a bad riding M8 was a walk in the park.

But that might not be the case for our new friend here. Just a thought.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
There are some heavily modded turbo Apex's and Nytro's coming out cheap right now.

Definitely get your rush for power. Good workout too.

S
Mar 15, 2014
Iowa
Guys....you realize the OP is a newb from Iowa right?
He's probably not looking for the ultimate boondocking, treethrashing, turboed mountain monster. One trip out west a year means he might just ride the sled back home too. In which case a M1000 isn't a bad sled to look at. Personally I'd agree with the majority and give thenod to the 10-11 M8 HO. However the trail characteristics of these M8's are slightly better than absolutely horrible. Unless you find one that's been reworked, that setup sucked. I personally loved those M8's, but I'm young and could care less about how my sled rides on the trail most of the time. Hell, I own a stiff as bricks M-10 under my T-Vec. So a bad riding M8 was a walk in the park.

But that might not be the case for our new friend here. Just a thought.

Well, you pretty much hit that nail on the head. Didn't realize the difference on the trail though.

So what difference is there? Stiff riding? Unstable?
This is the kind of info I was looking for!

BTW, I definitely don't want a 'cruiser'. Trails will be inevitable...hopefully plenty of play though.

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Well, you pretty much hit that nail on the head. Didn't realize the difference on the trail though.

So what difference is there? Stiff riding? Unstable?
This is the kind of info I was looking for!

BTW, I definitely don't want a 'cruiser'. Trails will be inevitable...hopefully plenty of play though.

Just need a revalve of the stock shocks really. You might even find a sled or two with Kmod or Timbersled rear skids too.

For back east riding and a trip or two west every year, I'd be hard pressed to say that you'll find a more capable and reliable 2 stroke motor than the Suzuki's.

Cat has some issues with their primary clutches(shoddy tolerances = less than favorable lifespan) and a-arm bushings should definitely be upgraded. The Diamond Drive needs to be looked after with more care than a chain and sprocket, and there's a nifty steering post support bracket.
But all of this costs less than a motor job. And the Zuk's are gonna last twice as long as the other two brands 800's.

Not to say the motors are bulletproof, or don't have issues, because there are some. But on average, reliability of the Suzuki is head and shoulders above the other 2-strokes. Especially with the way the sled will be driven. You're not going to see half the issues that sleds ridden 100% in the mountains see.

BTW - I own 3 different brands of sleds. And my favorite all around sled of the bunch is my Ski-Doo(Even tho my 4M badge says Cat). My most reliable sled is my T-Vec, but it get's ridden the least. I don't mind paying to play apparently.

Last edited:

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375205

hell of a deal here. 5200 ish would put ya in the best stock mountain sled built. By far the easiest sled to ride. Eric

There's yer machine, sling. . ..cost ya around 500 bucks to get it shipped and for that money you couldn't find a better sled ..so far beyond those cats yer lookin at it ain't funny. .. ..I'd be callin to see if it's still available . .

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
je4yzu5y.jpg

e8y2e3y7.jpg

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
There are some heavily modded turbo Apex's and Nytro's coming out cheap right now.

Definitely get your rush for power. Good workout too.

I was thinking the same thing. Boosted Apex's are going for next to nothing with all the mods already done.

A Nytro XTX with a 2" paddle track would work on the trails in the East and Midwest and in the mountains. I've ridden an Apex Mountain on trails up north (ungroomed around Fairbanks) and it seemed to perform pretty well. It does pretty well in the mountains in Southeast Alaska as well.

Or find a well modded RX1 Mountain for under $3K and ride it for 10K miles or so.

There are better performing sleds than the Yamaha 4 strokes, but the longevity and reliability are hard to beat. Probably the best bang for your buck.

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I have a 2011 pro with 1100 miles. Super clean. Great handling sled. In Cedar Rapids Iowa. I would take $6500 for. Check it out in swapmeet if interested and pm me.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Hay Sling . ..did ya ever find ya a machine? .. .if not .. pack a bag and head up to Haydays next week .. ..no shortage of good deals on sleds there ....

Premium Features