• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo RX1 barkbuster front end twitchy!

M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
I have the barkbuster on my T-RX1 and found it very unpredictable and twitchy on the trails. I tried different skis with some change and played with the adjustments but not happy. Just wondering if anybody has got the location of the ski bolts moved back or changed with success. I was thinking of going back to stock but I sold it all like an idiot!! Does someone have a stock black mntn front end or any advice. I do like dealing with the boys at timbersled, very helpfull, but want to be in control again. Thanx

timbersled

I ran the timber sled front end kit on my T-Apex for a 'SHORT' period of time same problem, way too twitchy and even tried the simmons ski and the stock skis ,same problem ,.....no control
among other problems with the kit

I went back to stock A-arms and I am back in control :)

A

Aussie Niko

Yep Im in the boat, mine have been on for one ride and didnt like it.
Cant understand why its any different to the stock set up?? It should handle similar. I may look at redesigning the spindles to see what happens. Really don't want to go back to the heavy stock ones.

M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
Talked to Budd today and I am trying his new spindles moving the ski pivot point behind the center line. I am happy with the quality of the parts and the service is second to none. If this takes the scariness out of going down the trail or coming down hills I will be one happy camper. I will report once the snow flies.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
Whens the snow flying for you?? Next season? I'm just starting now.
How are you going to move the bolt mount back? there's no room on the ski?
What did the new spindles cost?

I think what he's saying is that the geometry of the spindle is changed. Putting less positive caster into the spindle should make the front end less twitchy.

B

Budd

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern, ID.
Spindles are $250.00 plus shipping and they will eliminate the darting. The new spindles are more of a trailing design, the other spindles are a leading design. Thanks, Budd

Last edited:
B

Budd

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern, ID.
It is not a design flaw. The original spindle design is intended for full on boondocking/tree riding and it performs well in those conditions. We recieved alot of request for a design option that would handle higher speeds with out darting. On all new kit purchases it will be the customers choice, on existing kits it is offered as an up grade for $250.00 + shipping. Thank You, Budd

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I went through all of this same issue this past winter. you can get the front and rear suspension adjusted to make the darting on the trail livable. My first trip out with it I was so out of control on a groomed trail I was almost rolling the sled at any speed above 45mph.

You have to get the weight off the skis. I run 95psi in the front shocks (floats) and the front shock in the skid is almost all the way hard. Then I play with the preload for the rear springs to fine tune to the conditions.

Its not perfect, but its ridable. Eric

A

Aussie Niko

No fox shocks on mine just the stock ones, so I would wind up the springs to a harder setting at the front and set the front rear shock to hard.
Also I've got the apex stock skis too.

All I can say is that those dartless ski pipes don't work on this set up, they are down right dangerous made the sled unrideable.:mad: They would rip the bars out of your hands to full lock once you got above 15 miles an hour!!

Premium Features