• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heavy front end and noticeable sag G5 Turbo Expert 154

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've spent 4-5 days on my G5 and have come to really like the predictability of the sled so far without the tmotion but the heavy front end feeling is holding back my riding. I didn't have this issue on my 22.

I'm 185lbs + gear.

Front springs on "3"
Center spring 3/4 of the way tight
Limiter strap adjuster is on "precision" (strap length is stock)
Rear torsion springs on "3"
Rear shock on "medium"

I moved the limiter strap to "agile" and while the sled rides noticeably better and has less sag, I can't keep the front end down. I have confirmed that the limiter system is installed correctly and the suspension arms are not upside down as discovered in other TSBs.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? What are my options?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
That is one of the reasons why I had my shocks revalved before I even rode it. I noticed these issues on the show room floor. You and I are the same rider weight.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Same weight as you guys. I notice it’s harder at the end of the day when in tired to get the sled on its side when going downhill and you want to side hill across the face or button hook and go back up. Norona keeps saying change to ds3 skis it’s the biggest change you can make to the expert g5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I've spent 4-5 days on my G5 and have come to really like the predictability of the sled so far without the tmotion but the heavy front end feeling is holding back my riding. I didn't have this issue on my 22.

I'm 185lbs + gear.

Front springs on "3"
Rear shock on "medium"

I moved the limiter strap to "agile" and while the sled rides noticeably better and has less sag, I can't keep the front end down. I have confirmed that the limiter system is installed correctly and the suspension arms are not upside down as discovered in other TSBs.

I would say back off suspension front to 2 or 2.5 also center spring the limiter strap on precicion will plant the front end and make it feel heavy, you dont want to ride around with it like that, it would be like locking out the rear skid goes better uphill and less wheelie but will feel heavey, you can change the position of the limiter strap so if you want to ride in precise then it would be one out but I would change it by going one hole in in agility.., the limiter strap on precise is 20 mm more than before so it will be really noticable, we were sled skiing super deep and steep yesterday on a big pull and the 175 was coming up almost like a 165 but we went to precise and wow what a difference...

W
Dec 24, 2019
I would say back off suspension front to 2 or 2.5 also center spring the limiter strap on precicion will plant the front end and make it feel heavy, you dont want to ride around with it like that, it would be like locking out the rear skid goes better uphill and less wheelie but will feel heavey, you can change the position of the limiter strap so if you want to ride in precise then it would be one out but I would change it by going one hole in in agility.., the limiter strap on precise is 20 mm more than before so it will be really noticable, we were sled skiing super deep and steep yesterday on a big pull and the 175 was coming up almost like a 165 but we went to precise and wow what a difference...

Agree.

I have an installed limiter on my 23 FreeRide Turbo. Only used it once or twice in the "short/precision" setting, on a really steep hill, deep powder. Otherwise, the skis would go straight up and stop my climb. Probably because I'm not a pro...

...anyway. I went back and forth yesterday to my 2020 NA Expert, and the 2023 FreeRide rides so much easier. Was tough to go back to the older sled. I'm still a rookie and learning, but having the skis come up a bit really allows faster agility in most situations. My stance is further back on the runners to pull up some, with a lean to either side. I had to be careful going fast through trees, and would sometimes default back to my "old style" of riding. Learning. However, it is a lot more fun.

Rear blocks set at '2'.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Dave, what doo you mean the limiter is 20mm more than before in precise? Doo you mean it's 20 mm tighter or looser than before?

Thanks.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Agree.

I have an installed limiter on my 23 FreeRide Turbo. Only used it once or twice in the "short/precision" setting, on a really steep hill, deep powder. Otherwise, the skis would go straight up and stop my climb. Probably because I'm not a pro...

...anyway. I went back and forth yesterday to my 2020 NA Expert, and the 2023 FreeRide rides so much easier. Was tough to go back to the older sled. I'm still a rookie and learning, but having the skis come up a bit really allows faster agility in most situations. My stance is further back on the runners to pull up some, with a lean to either side. I had to be careful going fast through trees, and would sometimes default back to my "old style" of riding. Learning. However, it is a lot more fun.

Rear blocks set at '2'.
Yes the freeride is easier to ride along with the summit x due to flex edge and tmotion, why i ride those sleds, and can side hill everywhere I could on the expert. One is not better , they are the same, the freeride only betters in suspension. Glad your enjoying it!! Ya a sign of a well build sled is that you don't notice until you go back, wait till you ride it more and then a 22 will feel fat and cumbersome compared to it!

D
Dec 22, 2018

I'm 185lbs + gear.

Front springs on "3"
Rear shock on "medium"

You could try this

With front shocks go back to position #1

Put limiter strap to Agile position

As far as I understand, you haven't touched center shock preload. Add 1 round of preload to center shock.

Change rear torsion springs to position #4

Adjust rear shock to hard

Now try and ride it. If you still feel the difficulty of keeping skis down, adjust rear torsion springs to #5.

If still not good enough, take your rear shock to service and ask them to add low speed compression and also bit high speed compression.

Hope this helps

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
You could try this

As far as I understand, you haven't touched center shock preload. Add 1 round of preload to center shock.

Now try and ride it. If you still feel the difficulty of keeping skis down, adjust rear torsion springs to #5.

If still not good enough, take your rear shock to service and ask them to add low speed compression and also bit high speed compression.

Hope this helps
I feel like he needs to go softer on the torsion and rear shock if he wants a lighter front end.

A guy is probably gonna have to pick between easy maneuverability and wheelie city, or a heavy planted feeling. Thats just the nature of a boosted 154x3.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
You could try this

Hope this helps

Adjusting that rear clicker shock to position 3 makes it ride like a plank. That only lasted about 5mins on mine before I turned it back down

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Adjusting that rear clicker shock to position 3 makes it ride like a plank. That only lasted about 5mins on mine before I turned it back down

It’s confusing because he says “the front feels heavy” and “can’t keep the front end down”? Both seem opposite problems and are different issues with different fixes.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The front feels heavy when riding the goat path on the way out, the front end likes to dive. Could be a ski thing? Or maybe I'm out of shape :)

I don't have an issue while riding the pow.

snow1.jpg

W
Dec 24, 2019
The front feels heavy when riding the goat path on the way out, the front end likes to dive. Could be a ski thing? Or maybe I'm out of shape :)

I don't have an issue while riding the pow.

Maybe the snow conditions? Light, low moisture?

I was just on ~4' base, 2' new powder, and stayed pretty much on top. Only got that deep when leaning on edge and carving.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Do you mean the steering feels heavy, hard to turn?
No sir. Turning is fine. I find the nose likes to "dive" when on hard pack-ish goat paths out of the riding areas. I'll have to do some more trial and error with regards to suspension setup I guess. I did read that folks are stiffening up the front shocks on the low speed compression.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
It’s confusing because he says “the front feels heavy” and “can’t keep the front end down”? Both seem opposite problems and are different issues with different fixes.

Yeah I didn’t quite understand also. Limiter on long and a soft rear those skis won’t touch the ground all day

Premium Features