• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowcheck…Confused About Options

F
Dec 30, 2019
I want to do my first spring order but am so back and forth with all the choices. I ride mostly with my wife in interior BC. I have a couple decades of general snowmobiling experience and 4 years of mountain riding. I’m 48 and in decent shape. Run and bike a couple days a week and ride moto 2-3 days a week also.

Goals are to explore and navigate successfully through challenging/advanced terrain, but can easily burn up an hour or two just playing in a single spot. My wife has advanced a lot and we will probably snowcheck for her next year. Currently we both ride 2018 800 SKS 155’s.

I really want to try a Boost, but I learned from riding motocross that I am most comfortable on a compliant/predicable machine, but enjoy some ski lift and am often disappointed with how hard I have to work at times to get the skis in the air on my current sled. I feel like the 155 Khaos Boost would be too wild and the 165 Pro Rmk too planted. Looking for something in between and am thinking 155 Pro Rmk Boost or 165 Khaos Boost. Which of those two would make a good all-around sled that is easy enough to tree ride/side hill with precision, but still adds some excitement? I am also open to a 9R or NA 850…

A24F8047-8EC6-48A2-9E85-E68E2925118D.jpeg

34F08AC9-DB7F-479E-8B96-87DDD9983937.jpeg

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Boost, 9r, and 850 are all awesome. I like them in the 155 kaos version. They aren't as out of hand as everyone thinks. You can set them from mild to wild. More weight towards front and makes a bigger difference moving back and forth on boards. Also, if you have 2.75 track it spin more and just jumps up on snow and goes. Maybe with my lynx track they would be overly rowdy. Our sugar snow it works great. Lynx trenches and hooks up better.
Any of those in a 155 kaos 2.75 will be awesome without being too rowdy. Want more rowdy put a lynx track on

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Given what you said, forget the pro…the Khaos has ton of adjustments, better shocks, and it’s easier to tone down a Khaos than vice versa. They are not wild and crazy unless you set them up/ride them as such.

So then the 155 vs 165 is the debate. Concerned about wheelies and re-entry’s = 155. Maximum deep snow performance and ability to navigate in advanced terrain = 165. If you are an interior BC guy, keep in mind you’ll have more snow than the majority of opinions you’ll read online. If you are still working on your general mountain riding techniques, I would lean 165.

Again if you’re still learning I would lean 9R over Boost…either has much more power than a developing rider needs in anything but a deep open area. But I also get the draw of max power…so you could always flip a coin lol

F
Dec 30, 2019
Go rent and ride.

Nobody can tell you what you'll like. Find a decent rental will and see if they'll let you take out several sleds day to day.

Renting various models is an option that is definitely available for me. I agree nobody can tell me what works for me, but I like reading input. With dirt bikes I learned through many trials, that what works for me is completely contrary to the popular opinion.

Boost, 9r, and 850 are all awesome. I like them in the 155 kaos version. They aren't as out of hand as everyone thinks. You can set them from mild to wild. More weight towards front and makes a bigger difference moving back and forth on boards. Also, if you have 2.75 track it spin more and just jumps up on snow and goes. Maybe with my lynx track they would be overly rowdy. Our sugar snow it works great. Lynx trenches and hooks up better.
Any of those in a 155 kaos 2.75 will be awesome without being too rowdy. Want more rowdy put a lynx track on

That's interesting. I guess I should have been aware how certain talking points get parroted and blown out of proportion online (or their experiences are just different), based on my real live experience with bikes vs the online world ha ha. Good to hear because given the conditions we most often encounter, I feel reluctant to go any longer than 155.

F
Dec 30, 2019
Given what you said, forget the pro…the Khaos has ton of adjustments, better shocks, and it’s easier to tone down a Khaos than vice versa. They are not wild and crazy unless you set them up/ride them as such.

So then the 155 vs 165 is the debate. Concerned about wheelies and re-entry’s = 155. Maximum deep snow performance and ability to navigate in advanced terrain = 165. If you are an interior BC guy, keep in mind you’ll have more snow than the majority of opinions you’ll read online. If you are still working on your general mountain riding techniques, I would lean 165.

Again if you’re still learning I would lean 9R over Boost…either has much more power than a developing rider needs in anything but a deep open area. But I also get the draw of max power…so you could always flip a coin lol

I'm liking your "flip a coin" option lol.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
FWIW a 155 matryx will be more tame wheelie wise than an equal model / trim axys.

Weight distribution is further forward.

Also my last 6 sleds have been 162-165 lengths (2009-2021) sleds and I converted my 2022 165 boost rmk to a 155 because of lack of playfulness………

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Renting various models is an option that is definitely available for me. I agree nobody can tell me what works for me, but I like reading input. With dirt bikes I learned through many trials, that what works for me is completely contrary to the popular opinion.

That's interesting. I guess I should have been aware how certain talking points get parroted and blown out of proportion online (or their experiences are just different), based on my real live experience with bikes vs the online world ha ha. Good to hear because given the conditions we most often encounter, I feel reluctant to go any longer than 155.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
There is definitely an argument that the 155” sleds have the capability that a 16X” length did only a few years ago. There’s also a weigh thing …I’m around 225 all geared up and always guesstimated that me on a 165” would be similar to a lighter 170 lb guy on 155” …speaking to floatation on a deep day.

There’s also a changing of the guard on what people are looking for…it used to be about climbing and good side hilling with the focus on getting stuck the least on the deepest days. Now the sleds make up for that with better tracks, lift kits and more power…allowing you to go the same places with less track. So if playfulness is paramount..it’s 155” no question.

Also keep in mind when the BC January dry spell ends and it (likely) starts dumping for Feb and March…what seems like the better idea will change pretty quick lol

F
Dec 30, 2019
There is definitely an argument that the 155” sleds have the capability that a 16X” length did only a few years ago. There’s also a weigh thing …I’m around 225 all geared up and always guesstimated that me on a 165” would be similar to a lighter 170 lb guy on 155” …speaking to floatation on a deep day.

There’s also a changing of the guard on what people are looking for…it used to be about climbing and good side hilling with the focus on getting stuck the least on the deepest days. Now the sleds make up for that with better tracks, lift kits and more power…allowing you to go the same places with less track. So if playfulness is paramount..it’s 155” no question.

Also keep in mind when the BC January dry spell ends and it (likely) starts dumping for Feb and March…what seems like the better idea will change pretty quick lol

I definitely feel like any sled is going to be a lot more capable than I am. I have noticed the trend back towards shorter tracks. I'm currently around 180lbs. I have a bad habit of almost always picking the more challenging line, which a lot of times is over my head, or beyond what my SKS can do, and as a result get stuck a LOT. I feel like that's how I learn, but since it's usually just my wife and myself, that is not always the best thing lol. But that is a me thing and could be a factor on any machine. Contrary to that I have had days where I dial it back a touch (to endure multi day trips) and end up having just as much fun, and almost no stucks. Ultimately though, my bad habits aside, I would like to ride something that I can be aggressive on, and have the most amount of energy left at the end of the day. I know there are machines out there that should make riding easier, but I am getting the feeling that how I ride is a bigger factor than what I ride.

F2081793-7D11-4C1F-971B-EF5CA362F28F.jpeg

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I'm liking your "flip a coin" option lol.
Definitely ride both before deciding. There’s know way some one can decide for you. I bought into the Kahos hype and didn’t like it. I think there’s so much to where you ride and how you ride. Mostly the type of terrain and the ability to set your suspension up for yourself. What ever you decide both the Kahos and pro are awesome sleds ?

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
From what I’ve read it sounds like a 155” 850 would be what I would put you on. The 165 matryx is so boring. It won’t even lift the skis if you need it to with the series 8 track. I’d go khaos too. Better shocks with the capability of ski lift if you want it. Most guys that don’t like the khaos don’t adjust the suspension proper for their riding.

If you want a sled that doesn’t wear you out at the end of the day then a boost is off the table. I also feel a boost should only be for guys that are extremely confident on a NA. Learn fundamentals, then add power.
The 850 is the best pull and go sled. 9r is amazing and feels light. But it’s a factory mod, and could have potential issues because of that.

Maybe look at selling the Polaris track for a 300lx or Lynx track too.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I definitely feel like any sled is going to be a lot more capable than I am. I have noticed the trend back towards shorter tracks. I'm currently around 180lbs. I have a bad habit of almost always picking the more challenging line, which a lot of times is over my head, or beyond what my SKS can do, and as a result get stuck a LOT. I feel like that's how I learn, but since it's usually just my wife and myself, that is not always the best thing lol. But that is a me thing and could be a factor on any machine. Contrary to that I have had days where I dial it back a touch (to endure multi day trips) and end up having just as much fun, and almost no stucks. Ultimately though, my bad habits aside, I would like to ride something that I can be aggressive on, and have the most amount of energy left at the end of the day. I know there are machines out there that should make riding easier, but I am getting the feeling that how I ride is a bigger factor than what I ride.

View attachment 400035
That’s a classic stuck that can be almost eliminated by slash tunnel and some ski lift.

Wheelie around and turn downhill when you lose momentum.

(With a 155)

Last edited:

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I would agree, a 155 khaos or 165 khaos in a NA 850. I would want to be on a similarly capable machine as my riding partner. Boost is a bit more to ride and is more tiring. Don't get me wrong, I love my boost, but when I am riding with my sons on 850 NA's, they can't get to the same places I can, so I have to change my riding habits. If that was 90% of my riding, I would prefer to be on the same NA 850 and have the reliability, ease of knowing one platform, clutching etc.

9R is great, and under 5000' maybe better all around than a boost (I don't know as I ride 8,000-10,000 and prefer boost most days) But I am a bit unsure of reliability. I can get an NA 850 to most places I can get a 9R, so it isn't worth the extra $ to me for the 9R. And you seem to keep sleds for a few years so reliability is nice.

Fun year to get 2 new sleds. Enjoy.

C
Dec 14, 2020

There's been many deep days when I was worn out I was glad my 163 would just pull straight up stuff while the 155 guys were struggling with the wheelie.

Suspension setup is key though. The pro rails will let you on top of the snow easier, but you can tune either suspension to lift or plant the skis, since it's the same except for spring rates and limiter strap.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

View attachment 400035
Sounds to me like a 163/165 Khaos would be a good fit for you.

F
Dec 30, 2019
From what I’ve read it sounds like a 155” 850 would be what I would put you on. The 165 matryx is so boring. It won’t even lift the skis if you need it to with the series 8 track. I’d go khaos too. Better shocks with the capability of ski lift if you want it. Most guys that don’t like the khaos don’t adjust the suspension proper for their riding.

If you want a sled that doesn’t wear you out at the end of the day then a boost is off the table. I also feel a boost should only be for guys that are extremely confident on a NA. Learn fundamentals, then add power.
The 850 is the best pull and go sled. 9r is amazing and feels light. But it’s a factory mod, and could have potential issues because of that.

Maybe look at selling the Polaris track for a 300lx or Lynx track too.

I would agree, a 155 khaos or 165 khaos in a NA 850. I would want to be on a similarly capable machine as my riding partner. Boost is a bit more to ride and is more tiring. Don't get me wrong, I love my boost, but when I am riding with my sons on 850 NA's, they can't get to the same places I can, so I have to change my riding habits. If that was 90% of my riding, I would prefer to be on the same NA 850 and have the reliability, ease of knowing one platform, clutching etc.

9R is great, and under 5000' maybe better all around than a boost (I don't know as I ride 8,000-10,000 and prefer boost most days) But I am a bit unsure of reliability. I can get an NA 850 to most places I can get a 9R, so it isn't worth the extra $ to me for the 9R. And you seem to keep sleds for a few years so reliability is nice.

Fun year to get 2 new sleds. Enjoy.

I'm glad reliability was brought up, because that is a huge concern, being just two of us and driving 8-10 hours to ride these areas. We get pretty far off the beaten path sometimes, and often there's no Polaris dealer in the local town. I was considering a Summit X also, but I have seen a lot of those things towed off the hill. I'm sure they are as good as anything, and ask the next guy and he's seen mostly Polaris' towed down the mountain lol. My wife learned on Polaris and she wants to stick with it. Also, as goforbroke pointed out, there is HUGE value in having two similar/identical machines for familiarity of working on them, swapping parts between them for troubleshooting, etc... That is a big deal if trying to diagnose something on the mountain. Just being able to walk over to the other sled in the garage to see how something goes back together, or how it's routed, etc...is really nice. The 7S display is another huge appeal for us. I also like the 36 month warranty for the 850 vs 24 on the Boost/9R.

Cost effectiveness is an appeal of the 850. There are two of us, but only one income. Essentially everything costs double. Two sleds, gear, trail passes, fuel, oil, maintenance, repairs, (avy training/riding clinics lol) etc... So I am trying to figure out if it's better to keep these things for 4-5 years, or get into the cycle of getting us each a new machine every two years, which means one new sled every year if we alternate years instead of buying two in one year.

Anyway I'm rambling on and on lol. Thanks to everyone for their input.

F
Dec 30, 2019
Well I drove my car to my dealer today to put my name in for Snowcheck, and turned out I had to go back home and get my truck ?. Guess the wife gets to Snowcheck now…

ED628A0B-E4C9-484D-846C-653295262287.jpeg

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Well I drove my car to my dealer today to put my name in for Snowcheck, and turned out I had to go back home and get my truck ?. Guess the wife gets to Snowcheck now…

Sometimes these decisions just get made for you, lol. Congrats, fun times ahead (y)

Premium Features