• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 9R Khaos 165 not acting like a Khaos...

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
So I got my first few days on my 9R Khaos 165 and I'm having a couple issues I'm trying to nail down:

1. Clutching. I'm riding at 5000-7000 and running Boondocker Talon weights with #12 capsules. That puts my weights at 77.25 grams. With that I'm pulling 8600 RPM. Seems a little high.

2. Suspension. I'm getting almost no transfer. My skis are glued to the ground. I've taken all of the preload out of the rear shock and increased the front shock but I'm still getting nothing like the lift I'm seeing on the reviews online.

Any input is appreciated!

20240216_142605.jpg

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
Reach out to boondocker regarding peak rpm. 8600 sounds great to me. What track? Series 8 or 9?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
8600 is what mine likes with stock clutching, feels great there so I haven't touched it.

I followed this video for shock setup as a baseline:

I left the rts clicker softer (like the guy mentions) and I stiffened up the springs on the front (ski) shocks to max preload spec per the manual (which isn't much). It is plenty playful, but I've bottomed out the rts several times so I'm going to stiffen the spring preload on the rts a little bit, and then stiffen the fts about 50% more than I go with the rts to try and maintain the playfulness.

I'm still learning how the changes affect how things feel as far as low vs. High speed damping. It's hard to play with it while riding because the clickers are always frozen.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
After my first ride yesterday on my 23 850 165 Khaos I find myself in the same exact situation and looking for much more weight transfer. I did start with factory recommended clicker settings and also right in the middle of the maximum and minimum recommended spring lengths for preload on both the front track shock and rear track shock so next time out I actually have a lot of room to play with on both clicker and spring setting. These settings had the sled totally planted on the trail like I was on rails. Next I'll be backing off quite a bit of the preload on the rear track shock and two clicks softer to the low-speed clicker also on the rear track shock.

Not really interested in moving the front torque arm down to the lower whole. I don't believe that hole is intended for this purpose and not comfortable doing it.

One observation on the excellent video is that the Polaris manual states to adjust the low-speed clicker first.

Two other observations on the sled is that I don't think it needs to be geared that low and the series 8 track actually impressed me more than I thought. Can't wait to see how the track performs when snow is a little hard and crusty in the springtime. That's when I think the soft paddles might have me slippin' and slidin' and spinnin' but we'll see.

Last edited:
Premium Features