• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important Ski-Doo announces DELAYS in 2023 Delivery...

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
you're right about them not explicitly saying there would be delays early on and i should have been more clear but that's exactly they were saying in not so many words regarding the "committed to delivery" announcement especially with worldwide supply issues and covid lockdowns. to me postponed deliveries were the takeaway. that also settled the idea of me keeping my current sled until my '22 came in. i think that brp was well aware of impending delays at that time but softened the blow of the later announcement about definite delays by saying "well, we mentioned component issues earlier so you were warned".
i've heard many horror stories about wait times on diesels. i drive one and apparently there's a DEF shortage as well. gonna try and pick up a few gallons today.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
you're right about them not explicitly saying there would be delays early on and i should have been more clear but that's exactly they were saying in not so many words regarding the "committed to delivery" announcement especially with worldwide supply issues and covid lockdowns. to me postponed deliveries were the takeaway. that also settled the idea of me keeping my current sled until my '22 came in. i think that brp was well aware of impending delays at that time but softened the blow of the later announcement about definite delays by saying "well, we mentioned component issues earlier so you were warned".
i've heard many horror stories about wait times on diesels. i drive one and apparently there's a DEF shortage as well. gonna try and pick up a few gallons today.

As for the claim about a DEF shortage, this article say there is not one:

'There is not a shortage of DEF,' say nation's truck stops​

Img 1717 Headshot
Jason Cannon, CCJ chief editor
Jun 20, 2022
Updated Jun 22, 2022
The ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine has put pricing and availability pressure on anything that flows from or through those countries, including urea – a critical chemical in diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) of which Russia is the world's leading exporter.
The availability of urea itself hasn't emerged as a primary hurdle in widespread DEF distribution, rather it's a logjam of labor issues and railroad capacity that looms as the potential principal headache.
"There is not a shortage of DEF," stated matter of factly Tiffany Wlazlowski Neuman, vice president of public affairs for NATSO, the trade group that represents America's travel plazas and truck stops. "However, DEF is moved by rail, and the ongoing supply chain issues affect the availability of rail cars – specifically out West – to transport DEF."

CCJ reached out late last week to several fleets, none of which responded that they were having any measure of trouble sourcing DEF. Jamie Hagen, owner of Aberdeen, S.D.-based Hell Bent Xpress, noted DEF is about the only fuel-related relief his 10-truck fleet has seen this year. "I get it in bulk and price has actually gone down for us," he said.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For what it's worth (don't shoot the messenger) my dealer told me that the Mountain Sleds are still on target for October - November delivery. I would be happy if it was even December...... Just saying.
I sure do hope he is CORRECT!!!!!!!!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
For what it's worth (don't shoot the messenger) my dealer told me that the Mountain Sleds are still on target for October - November delivery. I would be happy if it was even December...... Just saying.
You have to start out lying and you can always tell the truth. You can't do the reverse of that. If you tell the truth out of the gate you have nowhere to go.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
With this fantastic economy that the "Most Voted for President in HISTORY" has created I am not sure I can afford to purchase a new sled, so I will probably be happy to have a way out come November.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Not surprised and at least they are trying to be up front. I work with equipment and lead time pushes, week to week, are common due to the simplest components and quotes are only valid for 30 days or so...with requotes coming in with double digit price increases simply due to inflation. Now compound that with simple component shortages, like basic fasteners, and the only way to get priority is to pay a large expedite fee. I can assure you that anything Doo sold for snowcheck is not making them much, if any, money by the time they build it. Not doom and gloom, just the reality of a single sourced supply chain that has broken.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Not surprised and at least they are trying to be up front. I work with equipment and lead time pushes, week to week, are common due to the simplest components and quotes are only valid for 30 days or so...with requotes coming in with double digit price increases simply due to inflation. Now compound that with simple component shortages, like basic fasteners, and the only way to get priority is to pay a large expedite fee. I can assure you that anything Doo sold for snowcheck is not making them much, if any, money by the time they build it. Not doom and gloom, just the reality of a single sourced supply chain that has broken.

Doo makes a ton of money on accessories, so their bottom line shouldn’t suffer too much.

Doo's prices on their accessories have gone up too, just like for the sled’s. They added the commodity surcharge to the 2023 spring orders, raised overall prices, substituted cheaper gauges on the Summits, and cut their spring order warranty by a year. All that was done to ensure plenty of profit.

BRP’s future financials will tell the story, but given the above- listed steps they took to raise prices and cut costs on the sleds, they will be fine.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd venture that Doo decided to look at the supply chain from an optimistic standpoint when the announced the '23 lineup and delivery timeline. Not saying they just assumed everything would go back to pre Tear Down Better days, but most likely they took suppliers' estimates at face value, even though that's clearly optimistic. I don't have a crystal ball, but I do my best to follow actual economic data, and if you ignore the chaff, there is very little good news. I'd guess you'll probably get a '23 sled you ordered in time to ride, but it's going to be the same, or worse than what we saw last year.

Unfortunately, the way things are going, we'll probably see far fewer sleds built, the concept of a sled being built and delivered just in time to hit the new snow may disappear, and most of us will just have to accept riding what we've got longer. The idea of selling your current sled and banking on your order showing up on time is pretty silly at this point. If your budget is limited, you either have backup sled (something recent - guessing my 20-yr-old 600 wouldn't be acceptable for most riders), or you hold onto your current sled until the new one is delivered. And that probably means hanging on longer than you would have in years past.

I'm hoping between fuel and sled prices that people don't get priced out of the market, but even this spring it was starting to add up. If I head to Buck Creek, where I've done the most riding the last couple years, it's $120 to get there, plus another $50 to fill the sled. Not that it's something I can't afford, but just the amount I spend on fuel to ride is about as much as I spend on all other recreation combined (depending on how you count spending on cars, but even that's only a little more). Unfortunately, the growing problem I'm seeing is more one of when I'll be able to afford a new sled than when it'll arrive. Fuel costs are eating up money I could be saving for a new sled, and that new sled just gets more expensive. Just one perspective, and hopefully I'll be on better ground in five years, but I know I'm not the only one who's getting squeezed. The reality is, a lot of people have to sacrifice riding time, get more creative in where they ride, or will just leave the sport altogether. And sadly, the last option is too common already.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Another element is marketing generally likes to sell products or services without really understanding what it takes from engineering and procurement to make it happen. They are the definition of "yes men/women" and become finger pointers when things don't work out.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
No inside information, just dumbfounded by the head up the assness of some of the foresight and awareness involved in this situation.

Business of any kind is the most volatile I’ve ever seen right now and guys are bitching at those who stand to lose the most.

Example

BRP isn’t receiving the parts and raw products required to maintain their livelihood, may cost them their entire business.

Whiner B on the other hand expects them to lick his wounds and pay him extra because his toy may be late.

They want y’all to get your toy worse than you do because it’s their future. Most the snow checkers will only put a few hundred miles on and move on to griping about next years sled and it’s delivery.

Who is really taking the hit?
That's a really interesting point. I've never thought of that! Tough deal for everyone.
Nothing left to do besides just enjoy the equipment we have now and the weather we are given!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Enjoy the equipment we’ve got now is key.
I’m also amazed how many feel their world ends if their new sled isn’t here on time.
Even if you sold your last years, buy a used short term.
Still a lot of good fun machines around.
Pretty stinkin fun to grab a 80’s 90’s sled occasionally and go rally for a day. Learn what you can do vs what your sled can.
This is a fun sport, even on a relic.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
One of the most fun trips I did last year was racing some $500 vintage sleds around an oval with some buddies!
View attachment 390215View attachment 390216View attachment 390217View attachment 390218
Big group of friends around do this several times a year, and they have a blast. I figures it costs me dang near the same amount to ride regardless of what I ride, so I dang sure am not going to spend a week at the chiropractor to pretend the old ones are fun.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Enjoy the equipment we’ve got now is key.
I’m also amazed how many feel their world ends if their new sled isn’t here on time.
Even if you sold your last years, buy a used short term.
Still a lot of good fun machines around.
Pretty stinkin fun to grab a 80’s 90’s sled occasionally and go rally for a day. Learn what you can do vs what your sled can.
This is a fun sport, even on a relic.

Dude, I am a relic, which is why I need a sled that isn’t one!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
commodity charge has nothing to do with delivery on time. It is a raw material cost

Actually, it is a price increase that which the manufacturer gets to capture 100% of without sharing a margin portion with selling dealer.

If they simply raise price, they then share a portion of that increase with their dealers. None of this increase goes towards dealer margin.

R
Jul 28, 2022
Vermont
Does anyone know if Doo is delivering 2023 MXZ-XRS by October. My dealer said they were. I question that. I really hope I do not get a sled with missing components. I have a deposit on a spring order that someone back out of. It wasn't ordered with the 10.2" dash or tx skis. Just a straight up MXZ-XRS. My first new sled in many years. I have been purchasing used ones for the past 15 to 10 years. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Premium Features