• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sdsnocop

twinhighmarks

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2001
south dakota
hey duane nice job writing that reckless driving ticket to them sledders from madison s.d. looks to me like the two people on the rental where on the wrong side of the trail when they met mike because the one on the back just about ends up in front of the sled. as for riding to fast the guy on the m 800 is a pro motocross racer and i know your 600 would have never caught him. if you watch the video i am sure you will agree with me that he is never out of control but i will bet you had to be out of control trying to get in front of them on an overweight 600. maybe you should find out who was on the rental and give them a ticket for being on the wrong side of the trail. thanks gopro for seeeing the truth .

N

niles

Jan 5, 2009
nw iowa
A pro moto cross racer on an m8, a high speed chase, and some innocent first timers on a rental? what did we miss? Sounds like someone got a deserving ticket.

S
Mar 7, 2012
if u see the video maybe u would understand. it will be posted all over the internet. this is bogus. i guess if your on a 2 up pounding trails niles then maybe u have a point...or not

twinhighmarks

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2001
south dakota
looks like that black sled on the left at the beginning of the video needs a ticket for parking against traffic with no emergency lights flashing. i have seen sleds leave trailshead faster than mike was rideing.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Wow Duane, a wreckless driving ticket definitely did not seem warranted in this instance. In my two days in the hills I saw MANY people, myself included, that did just as this guy did. He was on his side of the trail and the only reason the one sled was forced to move out of the way was because they were on the wrong side.

I have always been very appreciative of all your snow reports and what you do to keep people safe in the hills, but I just don't agree on this one. I will be interested to hear your side of the story.

Dan

C
Aug 13, 2011
I didn't see anything out of line in that video. Running on clear straights, slowing down on corners or when visiability was limited, looked fine to me. I would say unwarented.

sledking120

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2011
South Dakota
would like to hear his side because when u passed him as he was parked on the wrong side you were goin less than 35 and he said you can go wide open on the straights glad i know that for next time

C
Jan 5, 2012
Iowa
The object is to slow down the rider and make him more cautious. Judging by the riders reaction to being stopped a simple warning would have been sufficient. He was not riding reckless and I saw 2 other sleds that were engaging in more dangerous riding than Mr GoPro. Nothing worse than people parking on the wrong side of the trail or in the middle.

Instead the rider gets a mark on his driving record, insurance goes up, and a $240 fine(TAX). Also the rider leaves with a bad impression of sled cops and so will every person who hears his story/watches the video.

Fact is this ticket will be thrown out by the county attorney or whoever handles forrest service tickets once they see this video. But to do that Mr Gopro will have to hire an attorney to make the phone call and forward the video because they wont talk to your average everyday citizen. This will run him $500.

In many cases a cop will throw out a ticket if you call him in time. Writing a complaint on a public forum usually has the opposite effect.

S
Mar 7, 2012
thanks guys for understanding the situation. i know sdsnocop has been watching this forum and i just wish that maybe he will come forward on here or to the people he issued the tickets to and apologize. there is enough of us on here that really understands the video. plus an un-groomed trail, not out of control... really. where did the warnings go. not like he had a bunch of complaints on him. quit making a bad name for your self duane...

N

nickPSD

Jan 27, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
So where was the reckless driving at? I see people riding way faster, or even worse the people that ride once a year and cant control there sled threw a corner, every time I ride the hills. I would be getting intouch with someone about that ticket, its BS

N

nickPSD

Jan 27, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
A pro moto cross racer on an m8, a high speed chase, and some innocent first timers on a rental? what did we miss? Sounds like someone got a deserving ticket.

Judging by the speed of the camera, none of the sleds where going very fast, I know down that part of the trail, he would not have been able to get by me. The last time I rode in the hills, I got 3 warnings for not having my trail permits in the right spot on my sleds, I can see where he is coming from but serisouly.....

Last edited:
N

niles

Jan 5, 2009
nw iowa
I posted before seeing the video. However i think you may have just dug a bigger hole with duane now. Men make mistakes but dont like being called an idiot in a pm.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
9 times out of 10 the non-helmet wearing rental riders are the sleds to look out for.

Last edited:
Premium Features