• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Still great!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Well, I'm just a neo-luddite sledder, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. If you feel like you need more, it's probably best you stop reading and move on with your life.

Anyway, the Pro blew a piston, pushing me to my "backup" sled, the old 600 RMK. It started life as an '02 136, and eventually got upgraded to a 144 series IV with Vertical Escape shocks, SLP can and Powder Pro skis, Holzman ATAAC, Boyesen reeds, gear down (18/43 gearing), two-wheel kit, seat upgrade, SLP helix, sway bar delete, and a few other things I've forgotten about over the years. Anyway, in '20 I bought the Pro ('12 800/163), and until now only rode the old EDGE once since then. For some reason (maybe old gas), it didn't seem to run quite right, and then I bent a trailing arm, so not a great day. Anyway, the Pro decided to remind me of what Polarises of recent years like to do, so I'm waiting on a monoblock and cylinders, but not going to sit around until I get that going again. So I dug out the spare trailing arm, pulled the carbs and cleaned them, greased the skid and front suspension, drained the old gas (that actually seemed pretty fresh), and tweaked the carb and oil pump adjustments. I think I have a fuel leak: the gas tank only had a few gallons in it, although I'm pretty sure I filled it up before I parked it...

I headed up to Buck Creek yesterday. Tons of people up there, but I didn't see anything remotely as old as my sled all day. The conditions were around six inches of fairly fresh snow on a pretty firm base, so not great by any means, but for better or worse, pretty average for what I've seen the last couple years. You always wonder when you haven't run something in a while, how it'll work. Well, if it's run better, I can't remember when. Never so much as a burble or hiccup. I sort of forgot how much better it is on the trail than the Pro, but what's really surprising is that I never really missed the Pro. I could tell the difference, even putting aside the power and track disadvantage, in how it acts on edge, how it tended to grab the random rut or such when I was climbing. But I got around just fine, and despite taking a firm move to get on edge, I could hold a decent sidehill (even besting my equally-capable friend on his new Summit at one point).

Of course things would have been different in a bunch of powder, although more would have made a big difference on the old sled too. Really, I noticed how much more I needed to keep the track spinning compared the Pro, especially uphill or on edge, than the amount of effort to get and stay on edge. But, dare I say, I had more fun than I would have had on the Pro. It makes me wonder if I should have left the Pro home more often over the last couple years. Don't get me wrong: on a great snow day, the Pro is better and more fun. On the sort of snow I've seen more of, however, the old EDGE holds its own. And the Pro is coming up on, what, at least its third motor, effectively? I don't know how many motors it's had; both odometers read just under 5000 miles, but the Pro has seen at least one completely redone motor (Indy Specialties long rod motor) and is now getting another top end. I don't think the old 600 has even been redone. I bought it in '09, the PO didn't say anything about a new motor, and I haven't seen any evidence that it's ever been apart. Even if it had work done, I put half the miles it has on it, and never opened up the motor. Everything still checks out almost like new.

My improvements over a bog standard sled probably made some of the difference, but it's not like I spent a ton of money to get there. Find a blown Vertical Escape parts sled, and you're halfway there. So many people look at the EDGE chassis and think "eww, trailing arms," and dismiss them as old junk. But I'd take one over the 900 and Dragon problem children any day. A Vertical Escape would probably hang with a 900 or any iQ without breaking a sweat. It would probably take a little more work on the rider, sort of a really well-modified sled, but it wasn't until the Pro that they were really outclassed. And then, Polaris should never have taken the brilliant 600 VES and tried to stretch it into an 800. That's probably part of the reason my Pro is in pieces right now and I'm spending more than I've ever spent on a sled, outside the initial purchase price. Sure, the 800 VES had its issues too, but there are probably more of them running around on all-original internals than the 800 CFI. And when you're talking about the 600 VES, well, when I got mine I barely knew how a two-stroke operated, but it's still going strong. There are things you can nitpick on the EDGE: a few "what were they thinking" spots where you wish you had a go-go-gadget wrench and perimeter cooling that's like a slush magnet in real snow for a couple. But at the end of the day, my "old" sled isn't "better than nothing" or even "decent," "good," or "great backup sled," it's just a great sled. I'm not sure my next sled will be a Polaris, but I can say this: Long live the EDGE!

IMG_20230121_153004.jpg IMG_20230121_153047.jpg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I think before caleb K. got so big, I remember a few vids when he bought an old edge 700 to get by on, and boy he pushed that thing into areas it wasnt designed for. The big blocks were rippers but cheaply made imo. I was always a fan of the smaller 600 mono when it came out. Polaris obviously thought it was a better design too.
thats some really low gears you are rockin, must be that slp helix...

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yup, I'd agree on the big blocks. I hear a lot of good things (my only experience is tearing one down for parts), but also, a lot of them went down early because of poor assembly, balance, and such. They can be built into a bulletproof, not to mention more powerful motor. I'll have to dig up those videos; people don't realize these sleds will go places, but will make you work hard for it in difficult terrain. The 600 was, to my mind, the big performer of the lot. The 700 gave you more grunt, and was just as reliable (typically), but gained you a lot of weight. The 800 was the clear winner in raw power-weight, but still heavier, and a lot more issues.

I'm still not exactly where I want to be on clutching. I'm pretty happy with how it gets up and goes from a stop, but it's showing 8300 or so wide open, and it feels like it plateaus pretty quickly once you get moving. I could try going back to the 19t, but I don't feel like it's shifted all the way out, and the clutches don't look that way either. I need to calibrate the tach, just to make sure of where I'm at. I think in part, I should probably be running a 34 degree finish angle, vs 32. I'll probably keep an eye out for an R8 helix. The R32 that was originally in it worked well on the top end, but would overrev in the midrange (apparently they're a very short progressive setup - more biased to trail riding). I think I see here what people say about heavily geared down sleds - that they're more sensitive to clutching changes. I decided to swap the SLP weights into the Pro because that needs a bit more weight, so I'm running 61g weights in it at the moment. The one other thing is that the back-shift is poor by comparison. I might swap to a TEAM clutch and keep tweaking on it, but it's working great right now. I should have the Pro back up this week, so I probably won't do more on the 600 this season - just ride it a few more times this spring. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some parts this summer...

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
I have three 04 800 x 159 Vertical Escapes in my stable. It makes it easier with troubleshooting. Sure they are heavier than the new ones that wheelie over on top of you and kill you. I can live with that shortcoming. 2004 was the first year of the new and improved cooling capacity replumbing. I also retrofitted a couple of them with extroverts and the 3 bladed Yamaha and Arctic Cat 3 bladed camoplast track and increased the pulling capability in powder by at least 50%. Where the newer deep lug sleds are getting stuck in fresh wind blown powder, this will stop and restart in place with no track spinning. Polaris does not build their sleds with the best available tracks as part of an agreement with after market suppliers.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Yup, I'd agree on the big blocks. I hear a lot of good things (my only experience is tearing one down for parts), but also, a lot of them went down early because of poor assembly, balance, and such. They can be built into a bulletproof, not to mention more powerful motor. I'll have to dig up those videos; people don't realize these sleds will go places, but will make you work hard for it in difficult terrain. The 600 was, to my mind, the big performer of the lot. The 700 gave you more grunt, and was just as reliable (typically), but gained you a lot of weight. The 800 was the clear winner in raw power-weight, but still heavier, and a lot more issues.

I'm still not exactly where I want to be on clutching. I'm pretty happy with how it gets up and goes from a stop, but it's showing 8300 or so wide open, and it feels like it plateaus pretty quickly once you get moving. I could try going back to the 19t, but I don't feel like it's shifted all the way out, and the clutches don't look that way either. I need to calibrate the tach, just to make sure of where I'm at. I think in part, I should probably be running a 34 degree finish angle, vs 32. I'll probably keep an eye out for an R8 helix. The R32 that was originally in it worked well on the top end, but would overrev in the midrange (apparently they're a very short progressive setup - more biased to trail riding). I think I see here what people say about heavily geared down sleds - that they're more sensitive to clutching changes. I decided to swap the SLP weights into the Pro because that needs a bit more weight, so I'm running 61g weights in it at the moment. The one other thing is that the back-shift is poor by comparison. I might swap to a TEAM clutch and keep tweaking on it, but it's working great right now. I should have the Pro back up this week, so I probably won't do more on the 600 this season - just ride it a few more times this spring. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some parts this summer...
I grew a hate for the big blocks trying to rebuild the 97 for my wife. Bottom end just looks Farm grade at best to me, (i believe polaris actually subbed the first couple years of these out to a farm company) cheap belt pulley water pump that wobbles, water manifold half bolted on like an old car exhaust manifold with allen bolts that strip easy...oh the memories... They do rip when they are running tho!

Love the 600s, even prefered them in the dragon chassis.
Ive never liked the performance of low gears but I also dont ride super high elev. Guys used to say 18 tooths wrapped the gear too tightly for effeciency and I believe it. On my edge I dropped 1 tooth on top gear and that was plenty for me. Im a fan of the bone stock button clutch also, for the peppier backshift in our heavy snow here. My 02 had a team roller on it with a pretty good helix for the bone stock rest of it, but I eventually went back to the button for that little extra rpm when climbing. If youre set on sticking with the low gears you might love the Team sec with the right helix. One way I always tested what I thought was a good aftermarket setup was to take it back to bone stock clutching and gears for a ride to confirm. Stock is hard to beat if you have clean clutches and a good factory belt. I dont subscribe to the "must shift out fully on hillclimbs" theory. You end up with an incredibly slow sled doing that in my experience. I settle on what pulls fastest up hill, not off the line. I used to pull the airbox apart and pull the foam out as well as the wall in front of the carb faces (leave the flat shelf) and they always seemed a bit throatier as well. This was on the big blocks tho, not sure if yours is same

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
That's some good info, @sno*jet! Obviously, I'm partial to the small block 600, and there are lots of good reasons for that. The big block is one that can run and run if you happened to get one really well put together from the factory, or you go through it top to bottom. I hear the later 700s are particularly good. The downside is you'll always have a heavier and more complicated motor there. But if you've gotta have an 800 (or bigger!), and you build it right, it's still a pretty good platform. I'm also developing a growing theory that transfer port or direct injected engines will never match carb sleds in longevity - not ones that are rode hard anyway. Running wide open continuously puts so much heat into the pistons and rod bearings that you're always close to the edge of something starting to break down without something to cool them. On carb sleds, you've got that in the fuel wash. You'll almost never have problems with reeds either. I get why people gripe about carbs, and I'm not suggesting I'd rather go back to them, but anyone who tells you EFI is better in every way and carbs belong in a museum is really telling you they don't understand what's going on inside a performance two-stroke. And you can probably assume they could never get theirs to run right...

The air box on mine doesn't have any foam in it. Maybe it had some and the previous owner removed it though. There's a shelf in the middle and two air horns going into the lower half of the box. I can't say for sure that those are there for intake tuning; it could have more to do with sound than power. One weird thing I've come across is that the air box doesn't want to fit tight to the carbs - it'll move back to where it looks like the PTO carb is on the edge of slipping out of the boot - so I've taken to jamming a chunk of 2x4 between it and the fuel tank. I think I'll switch to a chunk of blue board XPS foam, but I tried running around without it, and ended up jamming my little first aid kit between the tank and box because it looked like the PTO carb was pulling out.

On the clutching, I'd heard the same thing about the button vs roller clutch. The roller is more responsive, but the old setup would always win the race to the top. The other reason people upgraded was for reverse, but I've been able to get by without that; another "nice to have" that people will say you can't live without... With both those, I'll consider adding it if I come across the parts, but I'm not digging or paying flea-bay prices for them. I should probably try going back to the 19t gear on top and see what it does; I know a few others have mentioned that the 18t doesn't gain much (even if it gets them closer to optimal gearing) because of the tight turn the chain has to make. Mine was originally 19/39, with a 136. That's probably not optimal if you get up high ,even with a 136 (I'm typically 7000-9000, but sometimes 10k+). Jumping to 144 probably needs about as much gear down as you can get in that chain case. I can't remember what the biggest bottom sprocket you can run on these is, but I think it's 43 or 44; 45 or higher is definitely out. If I could, I'd probably gear it the same as my Pro (19/46). One advantage of going back to the 19t is there's only the slightest of dog-legs in the chain (running 74t chain). That said, the biggest gains I noticed weren't wide open going uphill, it was on/off throttle situations where you could get the track spinning in the snow more quickly, especially on the 144. It probably depends a lot on your snow, riding elevation, and riding style. If you're in the trees a lot, you probably never hit full shift no matter how far you gear down. Anyway, I should see if I can get my hands on an R8 helix and see what I think. When I was running the R32 with adjustable weights, I found that if I set the weights based on long runs, it'd overrev like crazy from low speed or a stop; put more weight in, and it'd take off like a bandit, then lose it on the top end. It'd also be interesting to try a 50/32 and 50/34 full progressive, but that's another one I'm not going to throw money at.

Premium Features