• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ride command vs OnX

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Any of you using the OnX app? How do you like it vs our ride command 7s map system? Any benefits over the 7s map/topography system?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
For your phone or tablet onX probably works really good. I looked into but ultimately went with Gaia GPS. All the overland reviews said its much more powerful and has many more layers. It does have a snowmobile trail layer which I do like better than Ride Command. It also has USFS roads and state land, private land and so on. Very powerful and it updates a lot. Where ride command doesn't update much.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
OnX OffRoad works well on Snow Trails. I have been using it. I also have a 7s which misses a lot of stuff. I keep it updated. Ride Command seems kind of clunky to me. I use OnX Hunt a lot so OnX feels more comfortable.

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
I noticed my 7s will miss things as well. It will show I'm parallel to the trail when I'm on the trail at times. I'm not a fan of looking at or relying on my phone when out in the thick of it. The color coding of gradient seems nice on the onX vs just the basic topo lines on the 7s.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Polaris needs to let us get really granular and detailed maps for our riding area while excluding places we don't ever plan on going.

If I'm going on a trip somewhere, I'll update the maps for that new area but otherwise I just want detailed satellite imagery and maps with topo and shading overlays for the 2 ranges I ride in.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I actually have used and ran Ride Command, OnX, Gaia and Avenza but in a different sport and platform. Come summer, we switch over to the RZR Pro R and I use several different mapping tools for our travels.

In the Pro R , I have the Ride Command running and I have an Ipad with OnX and Avenza running. The Ipad is blue-toothed to an external GPS antenna and works great!! The reason I run a few different ones is because none of them seem to truly have "all" the trails and between a couple systems, I can usually figure out where exactly I want to go.

Ride Command is nice because it's built in and easy to use, but lacks trails and detail at times.

OnX, is pretty decent but I've only been running that for about a year and half. Nice details, easy to use, just have to remember to download offline maps in order to use it.

Gaia, I have only used off and on but it's decent. I'm not a huge fan of their map layouts and how it looks on the screen for my eyes. For me, it's not a "quick glance" map if that makes sense. Again this is just my eyes and how I'm use to other maps.

Avenza actually works great as long as you can find the correct map(s) for the area you are going to ride. What's nice is as long as you find the map for the area, it turns your Ipad or phone into a great navigational tool! For example, you can download the snowmobile map for Cooke City and other maps for Cooke City ranging from USGS maps, to other detailed maps. Once downloaded, open the map and presto there you are in that particular map you have open. What's nice is you can have a basic snowmobile trail map for an area and find a topographical maps for the area and switch between the two while out there. Pretty cool to be able to see exactly you are in relation to the trails but also the terrain changes. Once you first start with Avenza it can be a little challenging with getting maps, turning layers on and off and other functions, but once you get a basic grasp of it, it works really well. It also tracks you if you want, you can mark waypoints but you can also have different layers with different waypoints and tracks you have done. You can also share routes, waypoints and maps between other Avenza users.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I actually have used and ran Ride Command, OnX, Gaia and Avenza but in a different sport and platform. Come summer, we switch over to the RZR Pro R and I use several different mapping tools for our travels.

In the Pro R , I have the Ride Command running and I have an Ipad with OnX and Avenza running. The Ipad is blue-toothed to an external GPS antenna and works great!! The reason I run a few different ones is because none of them seem to truly have "all" the trails and between a couple systems, I can usually figure out where exactly I want to go.

Ride Command is nice because it's built in and easy to use, but lacks trails and detail at times.

OnX, is pretty decent but I've only been running that for about a year and half. Nice details, easy to use, just have to remember to download offline maps in order to use it.

Gaia, I have only used off and on but it's decent. I'm not a huge fan of their map layouts and how it looks on the screen for my eyes. For me, it's not a "quick glance" map if that makes sense. Again this is just my eyes and how I'm use to other maps.

Avenza actually works great as long as you can find the correct map(s) for the area you are going to ride. What's nice is as long as you find the map for the area, it turns your Ipad or phone into a great navigational tool! For example, you can download the snowmobile map for Cooke City and other maps for Cooke City ranging from USGS maps, to other detailed maps. Once downloaded, open the map and presto there you are in that particular map you have open. What's nice is you can have a basic snowmobile trail map for an area and find a topographical maps for the area and switch between the two while out there. Pretty cool to be able to see exactly you are in relation to the trails but also the terrain changes. Once you first start with Avenza it can be a little challenging with getting maps, turning layers on and off and other functions, but once you get a basic grasp of it, it works really well. It also tracks you if you want, you can mark waypoints but you can also have different layers with different waypoints and tracks you have done. You can also share routes, waypoints and maps between other Avenza users.

Always here great things about Avenza. It's basically a map publishers. What separates Gaia from OnX is the ability to run several map layers at teh same time. Just turn on an off which ones you need. And You have a bar so you can adjust what layers you and see more or over the other layers. Plus there are over 250 different layers that come with Gaia you can choose from.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Ride command is to find your buddies, and trace your tracks.

I use Avenza with USFS maps to find trails and make sure we're not heading into wilderness area.
On x works well also.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
For your phone or tablet onX probably works really good. I looked into but ultimately went with Gaia GPS. All the overland reviews said its much more powerful and has many more layers. It does have a snowmobile trail layer which I do like better than Ride Command. It also has USFS roads and state land, private land and so on. Very powerful and it updates a lot. Where ride command doesn't update much.
Totally love the 7S and what it does, Gaia is awesome too and I use it as a backup and to record rides where I might need it to get back to into an area. Also a great backup in case the 7S falters and GPS is needed.

P
Feb 4, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
Can you export 7s tracks from command to gpx files or anthing of the sort? I like to put it all in onx so i know where i have been and see where i want to scout out next ride.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Can you export 7s tracks from command to gpx files or anthing of the sort? I like to put it all in onx so i know where i have been and see where i want to scout out next ride.
[/QUOTE

I "believe" that is possible if I remember correctly, but I'm not techy enough to fully answer that.

Premium Features