• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Post 18 ride reports here!!

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
So is the new engine not making the power the old engine did? Do the 18's need a bunch of clutching? I really want to try an 18 and see what options come on what models before I make a decision on weather or not to snowcheck

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
So is the new engine not making the power the old engine did? Do the 18's need a bunch of clutching? I really want to try an 18 and see what options come on what models before I make a decision on weather or not to snowcheck
Go to ur local dealer and get a demo ride.
The engine runs so smooth.
Take some time and adjust the shocks to get the sled to handle the way u prefer.

last

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
So is the new engine not making the power the old engine did? Do the 18's need a bunch of clutching?

it makes more power from bottom to top, just not huge gain on top. just my experience. both old and new motors are animals with the powerclaw 3". No clutching needed. just dont run the weights that are recommended for the mid elevations of your area, stick with the ones that are meant for the highest you usually see. I see the new motor is pulling 2 grams more than the old motor at same elevation, so that shows ya the gain.
Oh, your old cans will fit the new motor too, and run great.

Last edited:
M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
Second ride with my 18' EB MC 153. Before, I having a 16' 162 M8000 LTD.

Snow are coasted here, massive arctic cold blast after a little rain episode. I dont can tried a steep sidehill but narrower panel see better, and way more faster to put out/in for maintenance.

My engine are 4.5h on it. I dont know how much power/response i will gain after break-in...

Better in power on low and mid range that 800 Zuki. Way more snappier on low and mid range, a little bit on top end.

QS3 shock run great. Nice feature but i will try to fit a remote lever like mountain bike for rear shock. On rear shock mode 1 : front end can get up easy, Mode 2 : Front end is more planted and help to climb steeper. I dont try Mode L.

Steering is easier to steer, sled is more predicable that my 16' and buddy 17' MC.

New clutch roller bearing run very smooth.

Clutching is same that 17' MC but 2 grammes more on clutch weight. The 17' and 18' CLUTCHING have same feeling. At my opinion, it's just a flat and lineair shifting and a bit lazy backshift. 18' has more throttle response and more bottom/mid range and it's why that clutching seem good vs 16-17' clutching. A little gain to take here if you understand how clutch work

CO2.0 keep your clutch parts from your 16', you will put it on your 18' MC, i doing the same thing yesterday and it's work well!!

I installed my Diamond S Quiet muffler on my 18', 16.5lbs weight saving, sound close to stock.
I did not notice any loss of power, but I noticed weight loss:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Get pics man! If there are no pics it didn't happen. Not sure why there isn't a good head to head video out there by now.

I was able to ride all the '17s and an '18 early release Cat but not at the same time. Ran the '18 153 ER against a good running 17 MC and 174 Axys. Definitely preferred the '18 but as you would expect it's a lot like the MC. The engine is crisp and strong and idles smooth. Some improvements sidehilling and cleaner, stronger power...better throttle response but overall power difference not dramatic imo. 174 Axys felt really planted in comparison...and slower. Poo riders will definitely need an SLP setup and narrow the front to feel competitive in power and ability to transition to edge easily especially in less deep snow.

850 Doo is an interesting sled. Felt most powerful to me by a fair margin. Strong all the way up. Far more stable on edge than prior XMs (which I owned also) but still a bit squirrely on edge to me. I could get used to it far quicker than I did the XM though so headed in the right direction. Incredibly nimble...definitely have to be paying attention in the nasty stuff. I'd love to have one but with the belt issues still in question I'd pass until I know that's resolved. What's great is you can't go wrong with any of the '18s.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
263f75e0ba5890d0cf7faf5713acbc28.jpg

850 did not show up so, i rode the RMK and the 18 Cat.
Surprisingly the engines and clutching both felt close to each other. I finally got to feel the bottom end power that everyone has talking about on the RMK.

RMK,
Likes: the engine, clutching, and seat. switches on the console are awesome, i never accidentally hit the switches like i do every 10min on the cat.
The ride on the trail is very stable, does not lift a ski around corners.

Dislikes: the track, shocks, steering, rider position (feet are behind the knees when siting), to hard to initiate a sidehill, uncomfortable on any sidehill, hill climbing (hard to change lines, likes to go straight). Hand warmer wires exposed between the grip and throttle block, i was pulling on those all day. Maybe the throttle block is supposed to be closer to the grip?

2018 Cat
Likes: engine, clutching, suspension, handling, track, rider position especially the feet to knee angle. So easy to initiate a sidehill and comfortable to maintain the sidehill. Trail riding, it soaks up the bumps well, it does lift a ski around corners (i don't mind that one bit but some will hate it).

Dislikes: the seat squishes more than the older models especially the back of the seat(maybe the truck was empty?). Hand thumb warmer are still gonna get hit and change positions throughout the day.

Power wise i think they are very close but cat gets more of it to the ground.

I know the RMK is substantially lighter on the scale but man is it heavy when ur trying to throw it around, that thing wore me out today. I honestly cannot believe how much more energy it takes to side hill compared to the Cat.

Go Hawks!

W
Jan 15, 2017
I ride aggressive tree riding in the UP and have yet to hit the kill switch. With the guard, I have no issues with the warmers. Without the guard, I had hands like a half nuked hot Pocket.... Mama is getting pink cheetah bars on her sled so I am planning a switch relocate for pink****.com (her sled) and then I will relocate mine once I verify hers works good.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Now my only dilemma.
Do i pick up a Mountain Cat next week or wait till fall?

Go Hawks!

I'd prefer to have all or most of the new light weight parts on my new sled so I'm thinking I'll be snow checking.
I do wish we'd get more info/details on what's coming on each sled.
I keep looking for all the differences between the MC and sno pro besides the obvious ones.
Looks like shocks and lights are MC upgrades but what else is different between the 2 sleds?
Maybe nothing???

Last edited:

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I'd prefer to have all or most of the new light weight parts on my new sled so I'm thinking I'll be snow check.
I do wish we'd get more info/details on what's coming on each sled.
I keep looking for all the differences between the MC and sno pro besides the obvious ones.
Looks like shocks and lights are MC upgrades but what else is different between the 2 sleds?
Maybe nothing???
The shocks alone are worth the extra cash,

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
The shocks alone are worth the extra cash,

Yes. I agree.
I was refering to what else is diferent between the 2 sleds.
I'm not sure I can make myself order a MC with that green tunnel so I'm probably going to order a snopro and upgrade the shocks unless there's more differences than we know at this time.
What's the weight of each sled?
Is there a new lighter weight fuel tank that both sleds get or is it just on the MC?

Premium Features