• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crown royal express impulse turbo nytro - help info

WideOpenRepairs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 29, 2017
So I just picked up this sled, unfortunately the people who owned it did not know any thing about it and I feel the last few owers may have been the same way. So I am trying to get it back in order. Hoping someone may have some knoledge about Impulse nytro kit they would share. also the sled has the pure logic fuel controller on the sled but unhooked and a North west turbo works fuel controller plugged in. Hoping someone has some imput on these controllers.

Screenshot_20231128_215000_Facebook.jpg 20231205_190047.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sounds like you bought yourself a real project sled!
Lots of good memories from my Super Charged Nytro.

WideOpenRepairs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 29, 2017
After a few emails and phone calls, turns out the impulse standalone control system has been removed, and is running the turbo works fuel controller on it, so now to dig and see if it still has large injectors etc from the impulse kit. Does any one have first hand info on the purelogic/turbo works, dobeck style controller on a boosted nytro ?

20240104_072958.jpg 20240104_072937.jpg

X
Oct 8, 2009
To be honest, they suck. The standalone was the way to go. Since Paul doesn't make them anymore, you would be better off with a xic controller next. You would need to call Neil McLaren about those. My guess is he stopped those too. In that case, I would call the ecu company in Canada that made them. That company makes standalones for airplanes and cars. Their logo is different but the box is the same. I have talked with the owner there about the xic controller. He helpedme understand the controllers limitations. The xic can only control fuel for boost add to a stock displacement and factory head, no porting. If it has a ported head, then your only option is a sstandalone. Lastly, if your engine has a factory setup (plus a forged rotating assembly or a headshim), then you can try to use the others. Derek at attitude industries in Utah sells the dobeck box. He is very knowledgeable about them. If that is the route you go, then you will always be making minor changes to the controller every time you go ride. That is because, those controllers do not accommodate changes in barometric pressure or changes in humidity in the air that happen naturally over the season. That said, if you're reasonable with the boost...10 to 15 psi on a shimmed or low compression engine, then you maybe able to get away with it and enjoy the sled. The problem arises when you start running the sled closer to the edge. If it runs a hair lean and you don't notice, you can detonate the engine and ruin it all together. The more boost you run, the more sensitive the engine is to detonation and catastrophic failure. I hope that helps you. If it was me, I would call Paul Horschel, the xic controller manufacturer, or Derek at attitude to discuss things with them. Good luck.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Here is the company that made the xic controller.

www.sdsefi.com

If you can get the controller, harness, and injectors, then you can find someone on here who can help you setup the tune for it. Worst case, Neil McLaren or boost it can help probably help you get the base map for it.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Here is the company that made the xic controller.

www.sdsefi.com

If you can get the controller, harness, and injectors, then you can find someone on here who can help you setup the tune for it. Worst case, Neil McLaren or boost it can help probably help you get the base map for it.
If forgot to mention, the xic controller runs 60lb/hr bosch giant green injectors as secondary injectors to fuel boost. So you need provisions for them. That is easy to do if you don't have them already. Then your factory computer runs the stock injectors, timing, and everything else.

WideOpenRepairs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 29, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys! I did end up securing a complete boost it fuel system fir the sled. Just waiting for it to arrive!

zx4ever

Lifetime Membership
Jun 6, 2011
Northern Bc. Canada
Did they give you a map to go off? I can give you my map if needed. Also did you get the altitude adjustment in the Xic controller? I am also looking to buy one for my next project

WideOpenRepairs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 29, 2017
Did they give you a map to go off? I can give you my map if needed. Also did you get the altitude adjustment in the Xic controller? I am also looking to buy one for my next project
I actually ended up with a used complete system from Chad at cr. Haven't powered the box up as of yet to check how it's set up

Premium Features