• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

poo or doo riders snowcheck a 858?

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
Coming off a 24 boost and going to catalyst 858 154” with attac ibbex will have a turbo set up for it so will just add it when the Ibexx kit comes out. Not over excited about going to Na sled but lighter lighter than my boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
The guys coming off Doo and Poos will be shocked in the deep with not only the 3" Powerclaw but how little snow they are packing in the Alpha skid.

In fact, it amazes me how packed my 9R skid gets in the deep. Easily 10lb or more.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The guys coming off Doo and Poos will be shocked in the deep with not only the 3" Powerclaw but how little snow they are packing in the Alpha skid.

In fact, it amazes me how packed my 9R skid gets in the deep. Easily 10lb or more.
I think a bunchof the snow hype was arctic cat hype and marketing because their sleds were waaay heavier than polaris. Every skid out there is full of snow when it's deep. Some may clean out better but how much difference does it really make. Most of it is unsprung weight. Arctic cat's version of trying to make their sled sound better than it was because it was heavy.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Any poo or doo riders sno check 858? Nope, they all went with the new high elevation king, the power to weight ratio dominator of slope, the exquisite 600cc version 😏

B

bigtwin

Jan 16, 2008
Coming off a 23 shredder re turbo 146, and going to catalyst 858 146” with atac. I think the lynx feels heavy and looks old compared to the catalyst.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Coming off a 23 shredder re turbo 146, and going to catalyst 858 146” with atac. I think the lynx feels heavy and looks old compared to the catalyst.
It not only feels heavy but is heavy. It is funny that my shredder re 154 rode lighter, in deep snow, than my 9r. I also had slydogs on it. The wide stock skis really changed the feel. I think the re 154 would really benefit from a 2.5 inch track. The 3 inch just digs to china.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
I think a bunchof the snow hype was arctic cat hype and marketing because their sleds were waaay heavier than polaris. Every skid out there is full of snow when it's deep. Some may clean out better but how much difference does it really make. Most of it is unsprung weight. Arctic cat's version of trying to make their sled sound better than it was because it was heavy.
Honestly, in BC interior theres an easy 40 lbs difference of snow pack in the skid on a twin rail quite often. Now not always. But Id go as far as saying 80lbs in some spring snow.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i noticed it having to lift and turn my sled out of a hole it was lighter than my twin rail would have been. the snow just falls out. giant earth shattering difference while riding maybe not, but its all the litttle things that add up.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
i noticed it having to lift and turn my sled out of a hole it was lighter than my twin rail would have been. the snow just falls out. giant earth shattering difference while riding maybe not, but its all the litttle things that add up.
This is where you notice the biggest difference. I do everything possible not to lift on the tunnel, but there are situations where it's the only option. Also the alpha pops out of a stuck hole better then the twin rail, with a lot of time just needing a ski pull. This was one of the biggest differences in traction I noticed when I switched my alpha rail to a twin. I know it's partially due to less snow build up holding down the alpha skid when stuck.

Last edited:

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Honestly, in BC interior theres an easy 40 lbs difference of snow pack in the skid on a twin rail quite often. Now not always. But Id go as far as saying 80lbs in some spring snow.
With water at 10 lbs per gallon (Canadian gallon) your saying that they can hold 8 gallons worth of snow😳 wow

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
My twin rail looked like that other day, scratchers will fill a skid in right snow. In coastal snow you can’t downplay the weight advantage of the unirail.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I had to adjust my eyes for a sec, I first thought you wrote "urinal" at the end. Taking a leak before riding is a bit of a weight loss I guess. LOL😜
My twin rail looked like that other day, scratchers will fill a skid in right snow. In coastal snow you can’t downplay the weight advantage of the unirail.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I know in the spring we had my buddies Doo pack so tight with snow it stop the suspension from working. We had to dig it out and needed screwdrivers and bars it was packed solid. So it does happen sometimes.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
a lot of times its not just snow but ice which ice is heavier per volume than snow. that was my arguing point about the "light" sleds that had full tunnel coolers that covered the tunnel and boards with heavy ice while the cats with short coolers since 13 and painted tunnels never really held ice on the tunnels

Premium Features