• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

poo or doo riders snowcheck a 858?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
just interested to see how many people that have been on polaris or skidoo sleds have snowchecked an 858 or bought a catalyst 600. i love my 600 so very excited to get the 858 (and some better snow) next year.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Going from a 2018 Axis Pro

Last Cat sno-check was a 1994 ZR580. That one seized at 180 miles on Thanksgiving day 1993 LOL, I'm expecting better than that this time!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Going from a 2018 Axis Pro

Last Cat sno-check was a 1994 ZR580. That one seized at 180 miles on Thanksgiving day 1993 LOL, I'm expecting better than that this time!
Mine was 94 ext 580. Put 1758 miles on it and traded it for lovely 95 wildcat. Would have had 4000 miles on it if i could have kept a clutch in it. Had one of the first 2 inch tracks on that one. Went to doo in 96. The 580 was the first one I snowchecked from cat also. $5800.

E
Aug 29, 2016
Buena Vista, CO
Riding polaris for 10 years. Currently on 22 pro rmk slash 850. Sold it to a friend and ordered a black catalyst 858. Been super fun sled and runs good but has had 8000 recalls and stop rides. I’ve been demoing Cats since 2016 and said if they lost weight and did a belt drive and streamlined some stuff I’d be in. So cheers 🍻

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Last one was an El Tigre 6000, so really looking forward to the Black 858 coming this fall.

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
my last was a 2012 High Country which was a royal piece of crap. Been polaris since. But Im getting tired of the Poo bullcrap as well. Im on the fence right now and only thing stopping me is i have no miles on the new 9r. Might ride that next year and give Cat a year to see what happens. If good I can see myself back on the Cat. Everything I am reading and seeing seem positive on this deal for sure. I want to see how they handle the recalls and parts situation when they are called upon. Buddy just checked one so Ill get a good look at that next season. Very excited to see if the hype is real. It looks like a ripper.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I’m back and forth on if I want one. Theres really nothing ground breaking to lure a guy in from Poo or Doo. Finally caught up to Poos 2016 weights. Still no boost. Bottom end probably not gonna be as good as the 9R. The few reviews are good, but the 858 is still unproven. Dealers are few and far between.

Price on the base machine is appealing. It COULD be more reliable than my Boost… but I REALLY like boost at high elevation, I would have a hard time going back to NA. As of now no one in my riding circle seems interested in going back to NA. I think they are gonna need a turbo to get many guys to even consider jumping ship.

I would guess Polaris guys are gonna wait to see what they release before pulling the trigger on anything. Doo guys for the most part are very happy with their G5s. It’s gonna be a slow snowcheck year in general for all, very few guys have many miles on their 24s and there are carryovers with heavy discounts everywhere you look.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Cat may have best snowcheck of all this year just because it is the newest, latest and greatest going by keyboard reviews. POO and DOO may only have some tweaks and BNG to offer. 9R boost may be a thing but is that a good thing?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I’m back and forth on if I want one. Theres really nothing ground breaking to lure a guy in from Poo or Doo. Finally caught up to Poos 2016 weights. Still no boost. Bottom end probably not gonna be as good as the 9R. The few reviews are good, but the 858 is still unproven. Dealers are few and far between.

Price on the base machine is appealing. It COULD be more reliable than my Boost… but I REALLY like boost at high elevation, I would have a hard time going back to NA. As of now no one in my riding circle seems interested in going back to NA. I think they are gonna need a turbo to get many guys to even consider jumping ship.

I would guess Polaris guys are gonna wait to see what they release before pulling the trigger on anything. Doo guys for the most part are very happy with their G5s. It’s gonna be a slow snowcheck year in general for all, very few guys have many miles on their 24s and there are carryovers with heavy discounts everywhere you look.
I really like the 858. I have my doubts it pulls harder than a 9r out of hole. 9r just revs quicker than any na. I think the 858 might pull harder overall. Definitely way better than their 800. I thought it signed off at the top. The 858 doesn't. I'm a turbo guy also. We ride at 9 to 9500 mostly. Most of my friends are on boost. I don't think cat will do boost anytime soon the way they operate. The ibexx kit appeals to me. Only adding 2 pounds. That would be the only turbo I've ever had that you can't feel the weight of turbo. Such a clean sled and kit. It does add $6500 more though. It is also $4000 cheaper than my 9r with better shocks. I don't think the kaos shocks are that great. I also don't think the hi and low speed make much difference. Tough choice for people this year. People can get a 23 holdover boost cheaper than an 858. Wouldn't doubt even a holdover gen 5 turbo r cheaper. I think the only one to have a stellar snowcheck will be cat. I'm just so sick of polaris at the moment. I love doo also but ride the polaris better. The catalyst is the easiest riding of all of them.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Cat may have best snowcheck of all this year just because it is the newest, latest and greatest going by keyboard reviews. POO and DOO may only have some tweaks and BNG to offer. 9R boost may be a thing but is that a good thing?
If they get a decent clutch maybe a 9r boost would be fine. Mainly clutch issues. I've only heard of a couple blowing up. Heard of 1 858. My bet is they aren't coming with 9r boost.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Where did the 858 blow up? Demo ride? Bound to be a few in preproduction stuff. Might have been high miler test sled but still not good advertising.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Don't panic. If they are truly testing this motor they better have burned up a number of them to test where the limits are. Also there will always be mechanical failures, you will never prevent that.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I thought McClure had an 800 in his? If not his would have been severely tested to the limit anyway.
He does have an 800 in his but he probably got to take an 858 home to ride. Someone just told me they were pulling one out of the mountains that blew up. Doesn't really matter. Always going to be some and nobody what really happened.

Z
Jan 26, 2011
He does have an 800 in his but he probably got to take an 858 home to ride. Someone just told me they were pulling one out of the mountains that blew up. Doesn't really matter. Always going to be some and nobody what really happened.
I heard it was a Boost that blew. Tried to cover it up with this story. Hard to hide once the next stop ride comes out. Silly internet rumors. Has to be true because someone took the time.

T
Oct 16, 2017
I really like the 858. I have my doubts it pulls harder than a 9r out of hole. 9r just revs quicker than any na. I think the 858 might pull harder overall. Definitely way better than their 800. I thought it signed off at the top. The 858 doesn't. I'm a turbo guy also. We ride at 9 to 9500 mostly. Most of my friends are on boost. I don't think cat will do boost anytime soon the way they operate. The ibexx kit appeals to me. Only adding 2 pounds. That would be the only turbo I've ever had that you can't feel the weight of turbo. Such a clean sled and kit. It does add $6500 more though. It is also $4000 cheaper than my 9r with better shocks. I don't think the kaos shocks are that great. I also don't think the hi and low speed make much difference. Tough choice for people this year. People can get a 23 holdover boost cheaper than an 858. Wouldn't doubt even a holdover gen 5 turbo r cheaper. I think the only one to have a stellar snowcheck will be cat. I'm just so sick of polaris at the moment. I love doo also but ride the polaris better. The catalyst is the easiest riding of all of them.
You do the top end mtn cat with atac?

Premium Features