• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 Catalyst Demo

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I might be in the minority, but I disagree. If anyone has a cheap look on the bars, it's the single wires running to the reverse and brake held by a rubber band. I think the reverse, hand warmers, lights and ability to change the screen from your left hand while riding on the Cat controls is superior. It's far from cheap looking and a nice little compact design that controls everything in one spot.
I absolutely hate the controls on the bar lol

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I got a chance to ride @Pinchecharlie's sled Saturday, and it was amazing! It is very nimble, and wasn't hard to hop on and get a feel for. I would call it tippy at times, and if I had a criticism, it's that I'd like that dialed back a bit. Maybe that's just because most of what I've rode is the opposite and it's something I'd adjust to after enough riding. For sure, the only place I'd take something pretty planted like my Pro or the AXYS sleds I've rode over that maybe-too-tippy setup is in deep snow. In the snow I typically see, not having to make such a positive input to get on edge would make things much easier.

Anyway, it's far and away the lightest feel of any sled I've rode (haven't tried a Matryx or Gen5, FWIW). I'd be doing myself a disservice not to ride back-to-back with a Matryx and G5, but the Catalyst with more power is something I very much want. I'm not going to make any big effort to save up and try to get a '25 - too many other things going on, and I'll leave it to the rich kids to figure out how well Cat engineered it. If there aren't any major teething issues though, I might have more of a decision a year from now...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I got a chance to ride @Pinchecharlie's sled Saturday, and it was amazing! It is very nimble, and wasn't hard to hop on and get a feel for. I would call it tippy at times, and if I had a criticism, it's that I'd like that dialed back a bit. Maybe that's just because most of what I've rode is the opposite and it's something I'd adjust to after enough riding. For sure, the only place I'd take something pretty planted like my Pro or the AXYS sleds I've rode over that maybe-too-tippy setup is in deep snow. In the snow I typically see, not having to make such a positive input to get on edge would make things much easier.

Anyway, it's far and away the lightest feel of any sled I've rode (haven't tried a Matryx or Gen5, FWIW). I'd be doing myself a disservice not to ride back-to-back with a Matryx and G5, but the Catalyst with more power is something I very much want. I'm not going to make any big effort to save up and try to get a '25 - too many other things going on, and I'll leave it to the rich kids to figure out how well Cat engineered it. If there aren't any major teething issues though, I might have more of a decision a year from now...
Widen the ski stance.

P
Dec 15, 2018
It just doesn’t like indecision lol. If you see it and count …one one thousand…it’s to late lol. Today I found a deep crusty wind drifted hill and yes everyone is right , there is a time that you need a 165 and a 850 and now I understand a turbo but hopefully I’ll never be so spoiled. Two new guys trying to go backcountry riding. Iam 57 other dude’s 38 , I got my baby catalyst , he’s on a 24 9r (hell ov a first sled) I go just as good and everywhere but… can unstuck like that 9r …bwahaha! I seriously think the 858 gonna be a contender in deep deep snow

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
this weekend i got my catalyst to the mountains for the first time. snow in the trees was very good had decent traction to it but still deep and mostly untracked. in the group was axys 9r axys silber turbo, two rental 850 ski doos a snow bike and a few others. No one liked the ski doos. how someone buys one and keeps it more than one ride i dont know sooo heavy in the bars. it feels like they push against anything you try to do. that was everyones thought on the doos. i absolutely loved my catalyst, the easiest sled ive ever ridden. move your shoulders and push a little with a foot and it goes where you want. sidehilling up and down through tight trees just look ahead it goes where your eyes are looking. it climbs well but still was playfull. way more playfull than my old 18 mtn cat. rides more like an 800 than a 600. the others that rode it were impressed too the 9r owner said it felt just like his sled. cant wait to ride it more and ride my 858 next year.

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
this weekend i got my catalyst to the mountains for the first time. snow in the trees was very good had decent traction to it but still deep and mostly untracked. in the group was axys 9r axys silber turbo, two rental 850 ski doos a snow bike and a few others. No one liked the ski doos. how someone buys one and keeps it more than one ride i dont know sooo heavy in the bars. it feels like they push against anything you try to do. that was everyones thought on the doos. i absolutely loved my catalyst, the easiest sled ive ever ridden. move your shoulders and push a little with a foot and it goes where you want. sidehilling up and down through tight trees just look ahead it goes where your eyes are looking. it climbs well but still was playfull. way more playfull than my old 18 mtn cat. rides more like an 800 than a 600. the others that rode it were impressed too the 9r owner said it felt just like his sled. cant wait to ride it more and ride my 858 next year.
Nice to hear a positive review, unfortunately there are very few people talking about the 2024 600 or the Demo rides in regards to the 858. These are the things us snow-checkers want to hear..

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Nice to hear a positive review, unfortunately there are very few people talking about the 2024 600 or the Demo rides in regards to the 858. These are the things us snow-checkers want to hear..
I think why you don't hear many reviews is it's a 600. Mountain rider die hards aren't on a 600. Everyone i let ride it said it was fun but needs more power. We were at 9000 feet. We were in deep snow so a 600 146 sucks. Still impressive for what it is but the lack of power and track outweighs how fun it is. The matryx and gen 5 are awesome sleds and easy to ride. This one is easier. Best sled out there with an 858 is subjective. I assume it will be comparable to 9r. A 9r with 325 track is awesome. It is still not as fun as a kaos boost with 325 track at 9000 feet in deep snow. I will ride a 858 this week.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
the ones in my group who rode both the 9r and the catalyst said they felt very similar in handling. the 9r was twin piped with head clutch and helium hood so if it was a deep fresh day my 600 would have been lacking but in the still very good snow we had i was very pleased.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
the ones in my group who rode both the 9r and the catalyst said they felt very similar in handling. the 9r was twin piped with head clutch and helium hood so if it was a deep fresh day my 600 would have been lacking but in the still very good snow we had i was very pleased.
My buddy rides a kaos boost and hops on catalyst and feels right at home. It's not that he hates doo but he is not used to the steering. I can ride any of them. 9r is similar but doesn't ride quite as light. Where the difference is really noticeable is in lesser snow. The 9r feels heavy on a steep sidehill and the catalyst is easy. Just remember anything that easy, it is also that easy to go the other way on you. I am excited for next year and i love my polaris. Just sick of all the stop rides and they completely ruined the brake on the 24s. I cannot get any brake with one finger without sliding my hand clear out to catch the end of the lever. Not wired to ride like that.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Wait until you start getting rid of the ski pressure, there's to much and lightning it up still keeps the front down. It's designed for standing and the stock set up steers heavy when casually riding.
Get rid of the weight, steers better and when you want better steering sit down because it still steers heavy.
Summed up, when you want the easiest steering sit down.
When climbing your not sitting down, so don't go down the road thinking you can't control the front.

Stock set up is for those that don't want to fall over or stand.typical of all the manufactures, I hold no value in demo rides.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Wait until you start getting rid of the ski pressure, there's to much and lightning it up still keeps the front down. It's designed for standing and the stock set up steers heavy when casually riding.
Get rid of the weight, steers better and when you want better steering sit down because it still steers heavy.
Summed up, when you want the easiest steering sit down.
When climbing your not sitting down, so don't go down the road thinking you can't control the front.

Stock set up is for those that don't want to fall over or stand.typical of all the manufactures, I hold no value in demo rides.
I did find it different when riding the trail, and diving off in the powder, if your feet were in the footwell it was quite a bit more planted. Move your feet back and the alpha rail kicked in. In deep snow it is insanely easy either way.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
my catalyst hasnt been touched from the dealer and rides light all the time. the doo didnt want to turn on flat ground and the handlebars would fit you everywhere else. that was 4 different guys opinions too. cant wait to ride the cat again. after riding five different ski doos i dont ever need to ride another one in the mtns.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
My better half rides a G4, dialed in, the steering is smooth as butter.
The Catalyst is it's own animal, steering is just as easy but it's not smooth.

There are very few dealers that go the extra to set up, it's the purchasers responsibility, only you know what you want or think:)

Pay attention to how the steering on the Catalyst changed from when your standing and when you sit. I have not noticed that much of a difference before.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I did find it different when riding the trail, and diving off in the powder, if your feet were in the footwell it was quite a bit more planted. Move your feet back and the alpha rail kicked in. In deep snow it is insanely easy either way.
That's what I'm going after, I want to steer with my feet like footpegs :)

This alpha skid is so different from what's out there and there is no information about how it actually works.
I'm gonna put the same rated spring on the rear skid as the ones I put on the front. If this skid is as balanced as much as I think it is it might actually work.
IMG_20240220_143454925.jpg

Premium Features