• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 Catalyst Demo

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I’ve owned every brand the last few years. Currently have a 2023 Gen 5 154 Turbo R and a 2023 Khaos 155 Boost. I’m an advanced rider, who enjoys technical terrain. I had the opportunity to take out my dealers 146 600 catalyst yesterday to see what this new chassis is about. I’m familiar with the alpha skid as I owned a 2019.

Our snow has been brutal this year in BC, currently have a rock hard layer with 50-55cm of light snow on top that fell the last few weeks.

First off it’s a great looking sled, cat really did their homework and dropped significant weight. You notice immediately how small and light the sled is. Out of the 3 manufacturers it’s the easiest sled to get on edge and keep on edge. It’s arguably the new standard for a chassis. The alpha skid works on the catalyst, nothing like the ascender. I will say if it’s low snow and really rutted up old tracks the matryx will be a bit more friendly, so would a duel rail catalyst. There is no situation for my style of riding that the Gen 5 is first for handling, the catalyst for sure puts a run on the matryx and leads in most situations.

The catalyst rides the lightest even with the minimal transfer a 600 powerplant provides. The steering is nice and light nothing like the ascender.

Only things I really didn’t like was the new tunnel attachment system. Does not work with minimal snow and ice up. I’ll be running linq on my 858.

Really looking forward to getting on the 858, it’s going to be an awesome NA sled. I’ll be running a boost on the deep days and 858 for the others.

Nice job cat.

IMG_6048.jpeg IMG_6045.jpeg

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Thanks for the review. Im on the fence about buying a 858 or Summit X. I've had a 2019 alpha for the last several winters. ready for a change. Been on the internet scanning for reviews like the one you just posted! Not a lot of information about the new chassis and 858 besides AC marketing.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Thanks for the review. Im on the fence about buying a 858 or Summit X. I've had a 2019 alpha for the last several winters. ready for a change. Been on the internet scanning for reviews like the one you just posted! Not a lot of information about the new chassis and 858 besides AC marketing.
Yeah I’m not sure why there aren’t more rave reviews. It’s a great chassis, I’d pick it over a Gen 5

T
Oct 16, 2017
How comparable is the steering/handling to your matryx? I don’t really enjoy the way g4/g5’s handle in tech terrain which has kept me on Polaris sleds

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Yeah I’m not sure why there aren’t more rave reviews. It’s a great chassis, I’d pick it over a Gen 5
In the Tahoe/Sierra Mts where I ride I see very few AC sleds and even less Alpha's. It's all Doo and Polaris. Maybe 1 outta 10-15 is and Arctic Cat. Ive seen one supercharged Alpha and thats the only single beamed AC Ive seen in the last 4 years I can remember. Im sure that changes with locations and I dont ride all the time by any stretch. I like how my ascender handles 80% of the time, but definitely has bad manners in certain snow conditions. Which I guess the new chassis figured out.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
How comparable is the steering/handling to your matryx? I don’t really enjoy the way g4/g5’s handle in tech terrain which has kept me on Polaris sleds
The catalyst is nothing like the Gen 5, very similar to a matryx but lighter feeling and easier to get on edge. I was instantly comfortable on the catalyst, I had another rider with me on a 2024 pro boost. His response was well that's a lot easier to ride. I spent a day on a 9R last year as well and the catalyst feels better its truly effortless. Matryx is slightly more predictable in very rutted hard tracked up snow due to the duel rail but I'm talking terrain that 95% of people would never be in, I will say anyone that dislikes the ascender alpha give the catalyst a try not the same sled. Cat's going have the best NA sled next season. I wish cat would also clean up their bar set up and move head lights and hand warms down off the bars. Still a cheap looking after thought. Their new hood and panels work pretty good, had the left panel pop off once after a landing but their quarter turn set up seals nice and is quick to remove. The plastic running boards are also so so, they felt slippery at times and held more snow then I'd like.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
In the Tahoe/Sierra Mts where I ride I see very few AC sleds and even less Alpha's. It's all Doo and Polaris. Maybe 1 outta 10-15 is and Arctic Cat. Ive seen one supercharged Alpha and thats the only single beamed AC Ive seen in the last 4 years I can remember. Im sure that changes with locations and I dont ride all the time by any stretch. I like how my ascender handles 80% of the time, but definitely has bad manners in certain snow conditions. Which I guess the new chassis figured out.
Same in our area, mostly Doo and 1/4 Polaris. Hopefully more people are open to cat cause they have a great product now. The catalyst for sure addressed a lot of the handling issues with the alpha. I really did not like my 2019 alpha in anything but fresh untracked.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
. I wish cat would also clean up their bar set up and move head lights and hand warms down off the bars. Still a cheap looking after thought.

I might be in the minority, but I disagree. If anyone has a cheap look on the bars, it's the single wires running to the reverse and brake held by a rubber band. I think the reverse, hand warmers, lights and ability to change the screen from your left hand while riding on the Cat controls is superior. It's far from cheap looking and a nice little compact design that controls everything in one spot.

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Same in our area, mostly Doo and 1/4 Polaris. Hopefully more people are open to cat cause they have a great product now. The catalyst for sure addressed a lot of the handling issues with the alpha. I really did not like my 2019 alpha in anything but fresh untracked.
That is exactly how i felt about the 2024 Summit X, it was amazing in fresh snow and had absolutely terrible manners in heavy or tracked up snow!! Sold it and checked the 858.

T
Oct 16, 2017
The catalyst is nothing like the Gen 5, very similar to a matryx but lighter feeling and easier to get on edge. I was instantly comfortable on the catalyst, I had another rider with me on a 2024 pro boost. His response was well that's a lot easier to ride. I spent a day on a 9R last year as well and the catalyst feels better its truly effortless. Matryx is slightly more predictable in very rutted hard tracked up snow due to the duel rail but I'm talking terrain that 95% of people would never be in, I will say anyone that dislikes the ascender alpha give the catalyst a try not the same sled. Cat's going have the best NA sled next season. I wish cat would also clean up their bar set up and move head lights and hand warms down off the bars. Still a cheap looking after thought. Their new hood and panels work pretty good, had the left panel pop off once after a landing but their quarter turn set up seals nice and is quick to remove. The plastic running boards are also so so, they felt slippery at times and held more snow then I'd like.
Well…****. Was planning on snowchecking or picking up a left over boost next year to complement my 850 since I live/ride in CO at altitude. Now I kinda want to try this.

R
Feb 26, 2008
After spending a lot of time on my 800 catalyst, jumping on a matryx feels like stepping back a couple chassis revisions. Its balance point is miniscule and hard to get on edge. It feels much heavier even though its only 10ish heavier. I ride a lot of spring and rutted old tracks when most people quit riding and Ill take the disadvantages of the alpha in those conditions over the matryx. The overall package is so much better.

I was hoping for more out of the running boards but theyre just ok. Weve had warmer temps so i wonder if theyll build less snow in the drier snow.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
After spending a lot of time on my 800 catalyst, jumping on a matryx feels like stepping back a couple chassis revisions. Its balance point is miniscule and hard to get on edge. It feels much heavier even though its only 10ish heavier. I ride a lot of spring and rutted old tracks when most people quit riding and Ill take the disadvantages of the alpha in those conditions over the matryx. The overall package is so much better.

I was hoping for more out of the running boards but theyre just ok. Weve had warmer temps so i wonder if theyll build less snow in the drier snow.
The hardcore boards are a 100× improvement. The mountain sleds shouldn't even come with the plastic version

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I might be in the minority, but I disagree. If anyone has a cheap look on the bars, it's the single wires running to the reverse and brake held by a rubber band. I think the reverse, hand warmers, lights and ability to change the screen from your left hand while riding on the Cat controls is superior. It's far from cheap looking and a nice little compact design that controls everything in one spot.
For sure preference, I like minimalistic. Skidoo for me has the cleanest bar/controls.

R
Feb 26, 2008
For sure preference, I like minimalistic. Skidoo for me has the cleanest bar/controls.
Clearly this is an opinion, but empty bars and clean are not the same. The overmolded rubber and center trim piece are much "cleaner" than a bare handlebars. Non backlight switches on the Doo isnt exactly an example of prime fit and finish either. Plus replacing handwarmers or kill switch on the Doos is a pain because of their setup. G5s are much better but having to pull the hood to replace a handwarmer on the G4 is a joke.

The hardcore boards are a 100× improvement. The mountain sleds shouldn't even come with the plastic version
I cant run them with my backwoods bumper unfortunately. I havent exaclty loved tube boards in the past either.
The boards arent bad by any means. Theres just a touch too many flat spots to build snow. Atleast they dont destroy boots like the other brands.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
When selecting options for the Catalyst 858 on the website. I did not see any mention of plastic running boards. the stock option was extruded Aluminum and the $699 upgrade to tubular Hardcore running boards. Both versions of running boards didn't have the best image for details.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
When selecting options for the Catalyst 858 on the website. I did not see any mention of plastic running boards. the stock option was extruded Aluminum and the $699 upgrade to tubular Hardcore running boards. Both versions of running boards didn't have the best image for details.
I just had to look and see what this was about and you're right! Nothing of this change from the standard plastic board has been mentioned before this. Either it's a mistake on the website or Cat literally just decided to make this change.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I just had to look and see what this was about and you're right! Nothing of this change from the standard plastic board has been mentioned before this. Either it's a mistake on the website or Cat literally just decided to make this change.
Interesting. I really like the extruded aluminum mountain boards on my Ascender.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Absolutely change boards. The plastic ones suck. The catalyst is the easiest riding sled out there. 9r is easy but not that easy in deep snow. In less than stellar snow the 9r feels like a boat anchor. Polaris boost, 9r and 850s were all bogging bad. No idea on catalyst since my daughter stayed back. Visibility was bad and extremely deep. Would not have been a good day for her. One thing they should have done different is the swimming pool where the guage is. For some reason my daughter likes the 9r on the trail and catalyst off trail. We did have heavier snow one day and the catalyst steered hard in other tracks. Haven't played with shocks but close to maxed from factory.

Premium Features