• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Gen 5 riders demo a Catalyst?

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
I had an Expert last year and went to an X this year. The X is very nimble. Don't think I'd go back to an Expert.
What kind of riding do you do and where? Do you notice any practical change in the X’s ability to sidehill in shallow powder or firmer snow?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
What kind of riding do you do and where? Do you notice any practical change in the X’s ability to sidehill in shallow powder or firmer snow?

I like technical riding. I think it handles better in most riding conditions. It's very nimble and fluid. I think it side hills well. I rented a Khaos for a day. I really didn't care for it. Yes, it will hold a side hill, but it's so planted, its harder to get on its side, whereas my G5, I put a little pressure on a running board and it's there. I don't spend my entire day sidehilling. I think the X does so many things well, it really is the perfect sled for me.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
The first cat I ever bought was a 2012 highcountry (first kitty) loved the Suzuki 800 did a d&d 901 to it but the sled itself was straight out garbage I swore I’d never own another cat until I had some seat time on the catalyst . I would never jump out and buy a first year engine . the 600 though is a home run for cat I’m so happy they got it right puts some heat on skidoo and Polaris imo

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
kuster described the X as "ruthlessy light" but it's only 4 lbs lighter than the expert for a 154 on the spec sheet. in other words, the difference wouldn't be noticeable.

I had a 23 Expert 165 Turbo R and sold it and snow checked a X 165 Turbo R. I found the Expert plain just wore me out at the end of the day found it tiring to ride. Dropping down iinto a sh1thole and button hooking coming back out I found hard after a day of riding with the expert.

Switching back to the X it’s easier to ride takes less input which in turn I am finding I am not so worn out at the end of a trip. “Ruthlessy light” no but less fatiguing yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I had a 23 Expert 165 Turbo R and sold it and snow checked a X 165 Turbo R. I found the Expert plain just wore me out at the end of the day found it tiring to ride. Dropping down iinto a sh1thole and button hooking coming back out I found hard after a day of riding with the expert.

Switching back to the X it’s easier to ride takes less input which in turn I am finding I am not so worn out at the end of a trip. “Ruthlessy light” no but less fatiguing yes.

My buddy just put tmotion back on his expert. He thought it was also harder. He is probably 6 foot and 170.. bigger guys it probably doesn't matter too.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
My buddy just put tmotion back on his expert. He thought it was also harder. He is probably 6 foot and 170.. bigger guys it probably doesn't matter too.

I’m same size 6’0 160lbs. I would have done the same with my expert if I would have kept it. I talked with Kuster last year and was telling him my issues with the Expert and he immediately suggested I go back to the X for all those reasons he listed off in the video.

Happy to see Skidoo offers these choices and made more distinctions between the Freeride, Expert and X. Gives every rider a choice and a sled that is more tailored to them.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
I had a chance to demo a stock Catalyst 600 154" yesterday. Last year I was on a '22 Matryx na 163, this year a '23 Expert na 165. My favorite sled so far is the Expert. I have my Expert set up with an iBackshift clutch, finger throttle, shocks done by a local suspension shop, post forward, Salazz King ski rubbers, 34" ski stance and obviously I'm used to riding it. I'm 6'1" 205lbs. Snow conditions were mediocre with about a foot of fresh snow on a hard layer of crust and old tracks. The Catalyst looks small, the whole package is compact and it looks like a different class of sled size-wise. The first thing I noticed riding was how sluggish the Catalyst was off the bottom, it was an obvious delay, slow and weak to engage. I suppose this was due to a combination of the the small bore not having the torque of the 850 and the OEM cluching compared to iBackshift...sure made me appreiate the iBackshift clutch. I have no doubt that the stock 858 would be better and further improved with some clutching. The Catalyst 36" ski stance made the sled feel planted on the front end at slower speeds, heavier than the Expert although this could be due to the suspension setup too. I'd never ridden an Alpha rail before and you can imagine how much I over rode the sled, I felt like I was drunk at first. It took much less rider input to initiate. Sidehilling was not as precise or directed as the expert, no surprise there given the track length and skid differences. I rode the sled twice for about 30 minutes total and it was enough to make it clear that I'm not going to get an 858 until I've had a chance to ride the larger motor and longer track. Keeping in mind the Catalyst was a bone stock 600 and I only rode it for a short time never having ridden an Alpha rail before, I would not describe the Catalyst as a game changer and I much preferred the handling characteristics of the Skidoo. I'm not brand loyal and would like to try an 858 165. I'd be even more interested if Cat offered it in a dual rail setup as the Alpha rail would definitely take some getting used to. I have no doubt that I could get used to the Catalyst and probably come to like it, however there was nothing in my short demo that would make me want to buy an 858 for next year.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
catalyst 858 is going to be a real bad ass in deep snow. Guys are going to go crazy places on them.

Meh we already do with our turbos…

it’s great that Cat is back in the game and people are excited for them but there just catching up to what the other two manufacturers have been making for years…an 850. Will it beat on a Doo N/A maybe perhaps not sure but it dosent really matter cause we all ride Turbos now

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I sure hope they come out with a twin rail. Just the cost alone of the PC track for the alpha is pricey. With the twin at least you have plenty of options for aftermarket tracks for less $$$.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019

right, it's less tiring because of t motion and the "ruthlessly light" comment i thought was comical. i get it, they have to market these individual sleds and their differences which i think are more accurately described as nuances.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I had a chance to demo a stock Catalyst 600 154" yesterday. Last year I was on a '22 Matryx na 163, this year a '23 Expert na 165. My favorite sled so far is the Expert. I have my Expert set up with an iBackshift clutch, finger throttle, shocks done by a local suspension shop, post forward, Salazz King ski rubbers, 34" ski stance and obviously I'm used to riding it. I'm 6'1" 205lbs. Snow conditions were mediocre with about a foot of fresh snow on a hard layer of crust and old tracks. The Catalyst looks small, the whole package is compact and it looks like a different class of sled size-wise. The first thing I noticed riding was how sluggish the Catalyst was off the bottom, it was an obvious delay, slow and weak to engage. I suppose this was due to a combination of the the small bore not having the torque of the 850 and the OEM cluching compared to iBackshift...sure made me appreiate the iBackshift clutch. I have no doubt that the stock 858 would be better and further improved with some clutching. The Catalyst 36" ski stance made the sled feel planted on the front end at slower speeds, heavier than the Expert although this could be due to the suspension setup too. I'd never ridden an Alpha rail before and you can imagine how much I over rode the sled, I felt like I was drunk at first. It took much less rider input to initiate. Sidehilling was not as precise or directed as the expert, no surprise there given the track length and skid differences. I rode the sled twice for about 30 minutes total and it was enough to make it clear that I'm not going to get an 858 until I've had a chance to ride the larger motor and longer track. Keeping in mind the Catalyst was a bone stock 600 and I only rode it for a short time never having ridden an Alpha rail before, I would not describe the Catalyst as a game changer and I much preferred the handling characteristics of the Skidoo. I'm not brand loyal and would like to try an 858 165. I'd be even more interested if Cat offered it in a dual rail setup as the Alpha rail would definitely take some getting used to. I have no doubt that I could get used to the Catalyst and probably come to like it, however there was nothing in my short demo that would make me want to buy an 858 for next year.
The 600 catalyst has no power down low. Wind it up and it runs pretty good. Clutching would change that but it's still a 600. The catalyst is fussier on foot placement than other sleds. Feet in footwells gives it a planted feel. Put feet back and it's not. Cool to have both depending on how you ride it. Deep powder is insanely easy either way. 858 runs awesome but going to have to spend $6500 more dollars if you want a turbo. One of my doo buddies rode a boosted 858 and said it was insane. Don't see cat in any hurry to come with boost or twin rail but maybe. Missing out on sales.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
right, it's less tiring because of t motion and the "ruthlessly light" comment i thought was comical. i get it, they have to market these individual sleds and their differences which i think are more accurately described as nuances.

It’s less tiring cause of T motion for sure but it’s how the overall package works together that makes the biggest difference. I find less steering effort with the DS3, the flex edge track the way the suspension works.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
It’s less tiring cause of T motion for sure but it’s how the overall package works together that makes the biggest difference. I find less steering effort with the DS3, the flex edge track the way the suspension works.

Yep, I get it. My point is it’s not the imperceptible weight difference between the sleds.

R
Feb 26, 2008
The 600 catalyst has no power down low. Wind it up and it runs pretty good. Clutching would change that but it's still a 600. The catalyst is fussier on foot placement than other sleds. Feet in footwells gives it a planted feel. Put feet back and it's not. Cool to have both depending on how you ride it. Deep powder is insanely easy either way. 858 runs awesome but going to have to spend $6500 more dollars if you want a turbo. One of my doo buddies rode a boosted 858 and said it was insane. Don't see cat in any hurry to come with boost or twin rail but maybe. Missing out on sales.
The planted feel is due to 600 power.

S
Mar 18, 2018
ZAD appreciate your feedback/post from your demo ride. I also had the opportunity to try the Catalyst 600 this past weekend. Although I’m not so sure the suspension on the Catalyst was set up correctly your review was spot on.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
So adding the t-motion arm to a Summit Expert will make it handle pretty much like a Summit X. The flex edge track isn't a major factor. I ask because Ive found a used expert for sale. but really wanted the summit X. ITs cheap to buy the t-motion link. Not cheap to buy a new track. thanks

Premium Features