• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

off brand welders

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
I’m looking to get a little welder for light duty projects around the house. I got a frame for outdoor bar/kitchen and a spiral staircase for my deck in mind right now. I have access to a big 220v at my parent’s shop so just looking for something to keep in my garage that plugs into a regular outlet and doesn’t take up much room. I don’t want to spend $600+ for a Hobart or Miller 115V and I haven’t been able to find anything used. I have now been looking at Hot Max and Clarke 135amp units. Both are under $400 and the reviews I have been able to find sound positive. I know the old saying you get what you pay for, but like I mentioned above, if I use it more than 3-4 times a year I’d be surprised. Anyone have experience with these “no name” brand units, are they even worth the money, should I wait for a used name brand come up for sale used? I have played around with a similar priced welder at Northern Tool and Equipment (their brand) and it seems to be just as good if not higher quality as a Lincoln, I would say a Hobart feels like a better built unit. Of course their fit and finish may not affect weld quality.

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
I was in the same dilemma when I was about 14, wanted a welder but being 14 its kinda hard to make enough money for an expensive one. After talking to a local welding supply store and some welders they all said to just spend the extra money and get a miller. I ended up getting a small miller mig welder it was definitely worth it and I don't regret it one bit. So not really answering your question but if it were me I would just spend the extra couple of hundred dollars on a miller.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
If it was something I’d use regularly, I would go name brand. I just bought a new house and I want to pick up the last few tools I need to complete my full arsenal of tools, as well as getting my garage organized prior to moving everything in. Unfortunately I don’t have an endless savings account and a few hundred there and a few hundred here add up fast on top of everything else….. ($20k down payment, $6k furniture, $11k new appliances, ect)

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
My old 4x4ing buddy has had a cheapo 110 wire feed for the last 8 years and it still works well, it's spent a ton of time outside in the weather in a gravel driveway too. At one point he bought a Lincoln to replace it, kept it for about a year and sold it. He likes the cheapo better.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Go Miller! I can make it stic together but my trade is all about brazing. My family and friends are miller fans. Son in laws Dad is a miller rep so I I have wave the flag.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
What is your plan as far as consumables?
Tips, insulators, gas, wire etc
Go toa welding supply store & let them guide you through this buying process & they will be able to continue to serve you with your consumables & repairs if needed.

I absolutely hate welding with a cheap gun, f__king hate it.

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
Go with miller or Lincoln electric. I've used a Miller since day one. In my opionoin they are the best welders. The one I've used is a dual purpose mig.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I have a Miller MIG and a Lincoln TIG, pretty happy with both of them.... had one of the guys at work bring in his 110V Mastercraft POS last summer for a repair we needed to make on our gate where we only had 110 available.... what a complete waste of time.
Rented a small Miller 110 unit and was actually quite impressed with it despite its obvious limitations.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
anyone ever use a couple car batteries and jumper cables and one of those welding sticks to weld? welded a backhoe bucket back together and its still holding prettu good.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
anyone ever use a couple car batteries and jumper cables and one of those welding sticks to weld? welded a backhoe bucket back together and its still holding prettu good.

Heard of it.... I think you need 3 or 4 batteries in series to get enough voltage to burn a decent size rod. Your odds of exploding the batteries are also ***really*** good..... lead acid batteries give off hydrogen gas when being discharged, and I'm pretty sure the ridiculous current draw required for welding would count as being discharged. :face-icon-small-sho

R

RMKNV

Jan 3, 2011
Reno,NV
I have one of the Lincoln's they sell at Home Depot, 140amp 110v unit. Not bad but it's a import. I've built quite a few projects with it but wish I would have popped for a little bigger/better one. I've used both blue and red welders over the years I don't think one is really better than the other. Ford and Chevy thing. JMHO

A

andy_09

Dec 6, 2007
Great Falls Montana
for a hobbyist type deal hobart is probably fine, i would just spring the extra cash because down the road if you do end up doin alot of fab your just gonna be pissed at it, by a millermatic or similiar, go big once instead of small then big

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I looked around Craigslist (Denver) for about a month and picked up an almost new Lincoln 180, full argon bottle, and a bunch of extras like helmet, gloves, wire... for $550. I've been looking for a TIG lately and noticed a lot of Miller and Lincoln 140-210's in that $$ range. I'd start there if its not something you need right away.

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
I have had a Lincoln at home and a Miller at work and both have stood up well. The Miller is about 10 years old and 3 guys use it almost every day. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. One thing about buying blue or red, they will always sell better than a cheapo when you get rid of it or want to upgrade.

Feb 28, 2009
look at the duty cycle too when you burn your welder down because it wasnt made to hold up tho welding that long you really didnt end up saving any money I have a red one and love it

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Everybody is saying to go blue or red...but I would buy a Hobart if the price was right.

Love the Hobart welders for the money. Miller is a good welder welder too. Not much of a fan of Lincoln, never had good luck with one.

Premium Features