• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battery cut-off switch and battery tender/charge lead for Timbersled suggestions.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Husky FC 450 w/ ARO 120 kit.

I recently installed a Brand New Fire-Power Lithium battery.
Either the battery is bad, or I have a parasitic drain that I have not been able to locate.
I will eventually find the problem, but for now, I am wanting to install a battery cut-off switch.
Something small so that I can tuck it in and protect it, yet have easy access to it.

I am also wanting to find a decent battery tender -slash- jump box harness/connector
Much like the battery tender connection, but a bit more robust so that a jump box could be used if need be!

So... I have two requests:
..... a good small battery cut-off switch
..... a decent harness with plug in/pull apart connector

Any suggestions??????
Brand names???
Where to buy???
and so on.

Thanks in advance.

A
Nov 14, 2017
FYI I had a brand new firepower battery that had the same issue on my 2020 FC450. I had it about 4 months before it started doing that.

I bought an antigravity and haven't had the same problem since.

R
Nov 16, 2016
FYI I had a brand new firepower battery that had the same issue on my 2020 FC450. I had it about 4 months before it started doing that.

I bought an antigravity and haven't had the same problem since.
Thank you for the info on the Firepower battery.
However, I'm looking for a battery cut-off switch that would be suitable for this bike, and also a wire harness system (capable of handing cranking amps) for connecting a tender AND a jumper battery.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Antigravity have been great.
We just use maintainer when parked. You can run a jump box at 10 amps off maintainer leads which is all your small battery wants at once anyway.

Set up you’re looking for is Mickey mouse and prone to failure even in dry conditions.

If you’re set on going that route my bet would be commercial lawnmower parts for similar sizing.

powerpole

2018 YZ450FX with Yeti FR 129
Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2012
Leduc County, Alberta
I used a water proof switch that lights up when on, I pulled the main fuse on my YZ450FX and wired the switch across the fuse terminals with an inline fuse, that way if the switch screws up I just unplug it from the fuse terminals and put the fuse back in. I mounted the switch on a bracket under the rear fender which gives me a tail light as well.

Here is a link to the switch I used, I used red ones on 2 bikes now and they haven't given me any issues in the snow.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I used a water proof switch that lights up when on, I pulled the main fuse on my YZ450FX and wired the switch across the fuse terminals with an inline fuse, that way if the switch screws up I just unplug it from the fuse terminals and put the fuse back in. I mounted the switch on a bracket under the rear fender which gives me a tail light as well.

Here is a link to the switch I used, I used red ones on 2 bikes now and they haven't given me any issues in the snow.

That's pretty smart using the fuse spot to connect. I was picturing this guy hacking into his wires.

R
Nov 16, 2016
It looks as though I will be able to return the Fire Power battery.

I’m still in search of a 10 gauge jumper harness, and a decent small size cut off switch.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Update:

I have been able to return the Fire Power battery and have been reimbursed.
I have already received an OEM replacement battery (no more Fire Power for me).

I did some quick research, and have determined that the average, 4 stroke, single cylinder engine, starter motor draws approx 90 to 100 amps while cranking.
I will continue to search for a small/compact cut-off switch that is capable of 150 amps.

Meanwhile, I secured a Boost Pack system that I believe will work well.
It is a C3 Power Sports Boost Pack unit.
I also purchased the 10 ga wire harness (no seat removal required in order to jump).

The 10 ga harness includes it's own heavy-duty connector configuration, unlike the Whimpey 14 ga that a few of the other units use.

Two us in our group now have this system, with plans for all of us to switch to the C3 Boost Pack.

1709644897018.png

R
Nov 16, 2016
Set up you’re looking for is Mickey mouse and prone to failure even in dry conditions.

If you’re set on going that route my bet would be commercial lawnmower parts for similar sizing.

I find it odd that you would refer to it as being Mickey Mouse, yet you have suggested using lawn mower parts!

M
Jan 14, 2004
So I don't really understand the whole point of using a Li battery when they give you nothing but grief and you then have to pack all this other crap around with you. When I get a new bike, first thing that goes is the Li battery. Install a brand new Yuasa YTZ7S. Problem solved. My buddies bike is stuck up in the mountains as we speak, been there a while it still turns over with the YTZ. It has other problems but it still turns over.

M5

R
Nov 16, 2016
So I don't really understand the whole point of using a Li battery when they give you nothing but grief and you then have to pack all this other crap around with you. When I get a new bike, first thing that goes is the Li battery. Install a brand new Yuasa YTZ7S. Problem solved. My buddies bike is stuck up in the mountains as we speak, been there a while it still turns over with the YTZ. It has other problems but it still turns over.

M5

Each to his own!

What I dislike, is that most of the manufactures have eliminated the kick-start lever!
My 2019 TE 300 has a kick-start..... my FC 450 does not!

As for the booster-pack...... they are fairly compact and light weight.

M
Jan 14, 2004
OK so here's some food for thought. Yesterday we rescued a dead bike. It had been at 7000 feet for 13 nights and it was cold at night. We think the bike snapped a timing chain but that's another story. Our first attempt at rescue the day after it died was a complete sh!t show. We tried to tow it but there was way too much snow for the sleds to even get it rolling. We moved it 30' in 3 hours. Screw that plan, on to plan B. My buddy went out and picked up a new to him low hour 2018 YZ and pulled the motor. We strapped the new motor to a sled took it up to the bike and swapped motors on the hill. We had tried to start the dead motor a bunch of times the previous week to no avail. Plan was to take a Li battery up the with us but with all the other crap we had we forgot to pack it. Swapped the motor, pressed the button and the YTZ7S fired it right up after 13 days and lots cranking. Rode the bike out.

Saving weight is great, your battery aint the place to do it.

M5

Z

z987k

Jan 17, 2023
ANC

So you ran a jumper wire to both sides of the main fuse and put a switch and fuse inline on that jumper? No cutting? How'd you waterproof that? Pics?

I've got a yz450fx that the fuel pump has decided to stay on at all times and I have to disconnect the battery. No fuel pump relay, so that's not bad. Having a hard time tracking down what's going on and was thinking about something like this as a fix for now.

Z

z987k

Jan 17, 2023
ANC
OK so here's some food for thought. Yesterday we rescued a dead bike. It had been at 7000 feet for 13 nights and it was cold at night. We think the bike snapped a timing chain but that's another story. Our first attempt at rescue the day after it died was a complete sh!t show. We tried to tow it but there was way too much snow for the sleds to even get it rolling. We moved it 30' in 3 hours. Screw that plan, on to plan B. My buddy went out and picked up a new to him low hour 2018 YZ and pulled the motor. We strapped the new motor to a sled took it up to the bike and swapped motors on the hill. We had tried to start the dead motor a bunch of times the previous week to no avail. Plan was to take a Li battery up the with us but with all the other crap we had we forgot to pack it. Swapped the motor, pressed the button and the YTZ7S fired it right up after 13 days and lots cranking. Rode the bike out.

Saving weight is great, your battery aint the place to do it.

M5
Ya, I run AGM batteries in the cold. They're capable of more CCA at lower temps than lithium. Lithium is really great for the amps it can send at warmer temps though.

Premium Features