• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Muff pot cooker keeps breaking

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
Do others have the same problem with their muff pot base cracking?

I have two of them and they have both cracked accros the bottom. I fixed both by adding a strip of aluminum along the length of the pipe contact side. then I added silicone under it to stabilize it onto the pipe, this may affect the heat transfer and it might smell for the first few rides.

also my hose clamps keep wearing out.

what is everyone else doing?

spomey

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
I have had the same thing happen so I went a got a new one I think last season I would leave the pot in the holder even if I was not cooking so maybe this year it will last longer if i only put the pot on when I'm cooking!!hope it works as i am not going to buy on ever year!! might have to keep an eye on the hotdogger sounds like that works longer

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
They are all a piece of junk if you ask me. Especially for what they cost. The Hotdogger falls off, the Muff Pot breaks at the base and the Hot Pot locking clips break off.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah USA
ran a muffpot on my '05 REV for two years, took it off an now its on my '08 XP, going on the second season - no problems at all so far....???
so almost 4 yrs with good results, guess im just lucky :face-icon-small-coo

P
Mar 25, 2003
Ellensburg, WA
never had any trouble with the original muff pot. But the knock off sold by full throttle is a piece of crap. Haven't had a base last more than a few rides yet. Have two new in the box that I wont even install.

B
Dec 21, 2006
If your muffpot clamps loosen up, run the second clamp like I did. Takes care of it. Also, the mount will bend to the diameter the pipe where you are mounting it. Use a socket, it makes it easier than a screwdriver.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have ran 1, 2, even 3 clamps and still had them come loose. C-clamps just suck and will loosen with the numerous heat cycles. Go to Napa and get a nice strong T-bolt clamp. I have never had a T-bolt clamp come loose. They can be tightened down so much more than a C-clamp... You will need to bend the pipe holding tabs at the base to get the T-bolt clamp through (Muff Pot). I needed to bend mine anyway so the base would seat better on the diameter of pipe I was installing it on. A vise works the best so the bend is even.

I just broke 2 base plates on my Muff Pot last week (2 years of hard riding on each). Would have been nice to know at the time they could be warrantied cause I already bought 2 new ones. At least I know now, thanks for the heads up elkhunter!

D
Second the T bolt style clamp. Gear clamp sucks. I put a wrap of header pipe insulation around the pipe and clamped muff pot base over it. 2 years on the 800 and second season on a 900. If the 900 hasn't cracked the base from vibration nothing will. :D

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Thanks for the thread, and phone number. :) I hadn't checked mine this year, so I did this week-end, and it is cracked in two places. :( Would have not been cool for it to break loose while riding. Going to give those numbers a try and see if I can get my base replaced too.

C
Oct 22, 2008
MN
buddy had a hot dooger on the xp and we got the bright idea of putting in a little snow with the dogs for moisture, well lets just say it broke at teh base and the water got out and now his sled smells like a rolling hot dog.

Premium Features