• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Missing Boost Sled, need it found.

H
Jan 8, 2022
Michigan
I'm bored watching football now so I'll bite.

1) "Zero assets to speak of". Yeah, I guess if you parse out the $20B in cash, the rather large IP portfolio in the heavily sought after AI/ML/EV spaces, their three factories and social capital that can only be compared to a handful of companies on the planet...sure. Why don't you just google their balance sheet before saying ridiculously stupid things? I'm not a buyer of Tesla stock, but to suggest they have "no assets" is like saying "Google has no assets". You likely have no understanding of the immense value technology brings to the fray and how valuing tech asks the analyst to apply a different lens.

2) Show me the other self driving (or self steering) that goes about 150 miles for $3.50.

3) Have you used their AI systems? Do you understand how impressive they are? Its an AMAZING feat. You can't build real world usable (improving) AI without software that can learn, and this learning system is based around constant updates. If you don't see how cool it is the car can continually update itself based on a neural net that is consistently improving based on all the other cars on the network, I don't know what to tell you. You don't see the power of closed loop machine learning based software development.

4) Tesla more interested in what the OEMs are doing rather than the OEMs are more interested in Tesla? Have you looked at what the big companies are hiring around. AI, machine learning and electric. Tell me again how the tail wags the dog?

I have no doubts the company had a lot of problems in the early 2010s through mid 2010s, and the company is FAR from perfect. But if you want a glimpse into the future, or you want to see something that is actually disruptive, its the best example I've seen in over a decade. Again, the closest analogy is what Apple did to the phone world. The iPhone was SO far beyond where BB was it was like looking at a jet when everything else was piston powered.

A bite? Seems like more of a pucker to me.

By assets I was referring to physical. They are incredibly over-valued compared to other auto makers who have incredibly larger IP portfolios and 100x the physical assets. Tesla sucks at patenting their stuff. Again...their stock value has far more to do with Elon talking about flame throwers on Twitter than the AI in their cars, which I've been driving since 2014.

As far as hiring goes....plant workers are of far more value to the OEM's right now than any of their engineering staff. In shops where the unions don't call the shots, engineers are putting in hours keeping lines running. You're a bit behind the times.

iPhone's are crap. Jobs is dead. Get over it.

H
Jan 8, 2022
Michigan
....before saying ridiculously stupid things?

And the best one...straight from the horse's mouth:

Just more ridiculously stupid things though, I'm sure.

H
Jan 8, 2022
Michigan
....the rather large IP portfolio...

Within Tesla's engineering headquarters in Palo Alto where I spent much of my time, there is a huge mural painted on one of the walls that you might be familiar with if you're a true nerd:

1642476422684.png

But the text on Tesla's reads:

"All your patents are belong to us."

It's their own recognition that they have little interest in securing IP and they are instead just knowingly providing it to the other OEM's to secure.

C
Dec 14, 2020
…. Shortage of chips …… do you think there is a shortage of chips for EV’s? I don’t know, but if there isn’t for EV’s, then I wonder what is happening…..

All this is just a hunch. Anyone have knowledge about EV’s and chips?

A "chip" is going to be specific to the board/computer it's installed in.

They have to essentially lease the space in manufacturing at the plant that is making them. Once that production run is over they lease another time to run x number of parts again.

If they didn't produce enough in their first slot, it may be 6 months before they get another slot for production.

The auto manufacturers gave up months worth of slots, then panicked and bought years worth. Silicon manufacturing is pretty much only done in Taiwan and the US. Very limited production capacity, very long plant start up times to boost production.

This was already a strained industry before the clown world, and it made it 10x worse.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I'm bored watching football now so I'll bite.

1) "Zero assets to speak of". Yeah, I guess if you parse out the $20B in cash, the rather large IP portfolio in the heavily sought after AI/ML/EV spaces, their three factories and social capital that can only be compared to a handful of companies on the planet...sure. Why don't you just google their balance sheet before saying ridiculously stupid things? I'm not a buyer of Tesla stock, but to suggest they have "no assets" is like saying "Google has no assets". You likely have no understanding of the immense value technology brings to the fray and how valuing tech asks the analyst to apply a different lens.

2) Show me the other self driving (or self steering) that goes about 150 miles for $3.50.

3) Have you used their AI systems? Do you understand how impressive they are? Its an AMAZING feat. You can't build real world usable (improving) AI without software that can learn, and this learning system is based around constant updates. If you don't see how cool it is the car can continually update itself based on a neural net that is consistently improving based on all the other cars on the network, I don't know what to tell you. You don't see the power of closed loop machine learning based software development.

4) Tesla more interested in what the OEMs are doing rather than the OEMs are more interested in Tesla? Have you looked at what the big companies are hiring around. AI, machine learning and electric. Tell me again how the tail wags the dog?

I have no doubts the company had a lot of problems in the early 2010s through mid 2010s, and the company is FAR from perfect. But if you want a glimpse into the future, or you want to see something that is actually disruptive, its the best example I've seen in over a decade. Again, the closest analogy is what Apple did to the phone world. The iPhone was SO far beyond where BB was it was like looking at a jet when everything else was piston powered.

You can keep it all.

I'm the sort of person that wants to drive my truck, not let it drive me. I bought a 16 Chevy with all the stability control and crap. Washboard road freaked out the AI and I had to overpower the electric steering that was trying to put me into the ditch. Had to dig foam out of the butt crack after that one.

Sold it. Dropped a new engine in my 00 and will keep driving it.

Computers are only smart when they're told what to do. Give them snow, ice, and toss in some ruts or washboard and they're just trying to kill you.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
You can keep it all.

I'm the sort of person that wants to drive my truck, not let it drive me. I bought a 16 Chevy with all the stability control and crap. Washboard road freaked out the AI and I had to overpower the electric steering that was trying to put me into the ditch. Had to dig foam out of the butt crack after that one.

Sold it. Dropped a new engine in my 00 and will keep driving it.

Computers are only smart when they're told what to do. Give them snow, ice, and toss in some ruts or washboard and they're just trying to kill you.
Yep.
I had a 12 LMM with full delete, 130 hp tune etc.
then a 14 1500 ccsb 6.2

Got rid of them all and driving an 02 8.1 liter gas.
Absolutely love the thing.
Tows great, terrible milage, no electrical BS stabilitrak traction control, crap.

Just a solid rig.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Yep.
I had a 12 LMM with full delete, 130 hp tune etc.
then a 14 1500 ccsb 6.2

Got rid of them all and driving an 02 8.1 liter gas.
Absolutely love the thing.
Tows great, terrible milage, no electrical BS stabilitrak traction control, crap.

Just a solid rig.
Does yours use oil? Had an 01 and if the dummy light came on it was 2 quarts low on oil. My jet boat with 8.1 had to add oil once in a while. Truck never smoked or leaked. Everyone i seen was that way. The mpg was stellar. Especially pulling a trailer.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Does yours use oil? Had an 01 and if the dummy light came on it was 2 quarts low on oil. My jet boat with 8.1 had to add oil once in a while. Truck never smoked or leaked. Everyone i seen was that way. The mpg was stellar. Especially pulling a trailer.
If you have an 8.1 and it’s not eating a little oil it has a problem. Usually check it every thousand miles and add a quart.

They all do it.

10 mpg empty.

10 mpg towing 10,000# they are consistent.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I’m thinking that email was sent to someone who was originally supposed to get their sled by the end of December.
Im going to go ahead and assume that many of us with the sometime and January email will be getting new emails shortly stating sometime in February then when it gets late in February a big chunk of those will be pushed to sometime in March.

We are a long ways from December 15th I’m pretty sure Polaris knew more likely than not December 15th was never going to happen for most?

e
I hate to be a Debbie downer but I feel like I'm going to get a call and email this week about getting pushed back. Seemed like what happened last round. If the sled wasn't built within a week of the proposed ship deadline u get bad news last second.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Trucking is also a big issue, my buddy's 155 boost has been built waiting to ship to Canada for 2 weeks.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The last 3 155 boosts our dealer is waiting on (mine included) are built and awaiting shipment. Gonna be a bit for sure but glad it exists. Not just a pile of parts?

Premium Features