• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx Boost MODERATE DETONATION DETECTED

Sierra G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2017
I’ve only got about 15 miles on it but I keep getting this “moderate detonation detection” warning banner whenever I hit about 40-50 miles an hour. I’ve barely ridden it nor had the terrain to open it up much. Any thoughts on what that could be? Thanks in advance.

Sierra G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2017
5800 feet.
Factory settings, full of gas straight from the dealer. I’ll check the setting and I’ll call the service department about the gas

B
Feb 17, 2019
From what I understand the Boost may be very picky with wanting good gas. At the very least 91 octane non ethanol. I’ll be considering adding a gallon +/- of race gas with each fill up to help keep detonation out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Feb 17, 2019
If I were you I’d get whatever gas the dealer put in there out of the tank before your next ride and make sure you fill it with at least 91 non ethanol, and make sure your sled is set to the non ethanol mode.

Sierra G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2017
If I were you I’d get whatever gas the dealer put in there out of the tank before your next ride and make sure you fill it with at least 91 non ethanol, and make sure your sled is set to the non ethanol mode.

Yeah, that’s my plan now. The dealer says they put 91 in, but then they back stepped a little bit saying maybe there was some mixup.

Bowtie496

Lifetime Membership
Jun 7, 2010
Carey, ID
You can go to your local small airport and go to general aviation and get a gallon or two of 100LL. Just a quart or so should be enough to jump the octane up enough. Most Non-ethanol is made to be 88, octane boosters are usually added to get to 91. 88 should actually be fine above 6000. Modern fuel does not hold up and rots pretty fast. If dealer had their tank sitting in the summer heat then used it to put in sleds, could be a cause.

DGZRT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 16, 2009
Look up Boostang professional. Octane additives. And get yourself a Mr Funnel to prevent water in the gas .

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Check for anything that may be loose around exhaust, especially a y-pipe bolt or the EGTs, sometimes the vibration can set off the sensor.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
You can go to your local small airport and go to general aviation and get a gallon or two of 100LL. Just a quart or so should be enough to jump the octane up enough. Most Non-ethanol is made to be 88, octane boosters are usually added to get to 91. 88 should actually be fine above 6000. Modern fuel does not hold up and rots pretty fast. If dealer had their tank sitting in the summer heat then used it to put in sleds, could be a cause.
I doubt 88 is fine at any elevation on a Boost sled

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Have been mixing 110 race fuel with all my turbo sleds so it comes as no surprise that a little race fuel would be a good insurance policy for the BOOST 850 Polaris.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Have been mixing 110 race fuel with all my turbo sleds so it comes as no surprise that a little race fuel would be a good insurance policy for the BOOST 850 Polaris.
Yep; 5-6 litres of insurance is how I look at it. I run 4-6 litres of c12 and 6oz of pure gold per tank on a sidekicked Axys 800. I was recommended race gas vs Av gas for the lubricating additives. Right or wrong, the extra $20 a ride is negligible, and at a minimum, avoids Det while I ride from the 4000’-6000’ alpine.

I
Dec 21, 2007
I also saw a red banner flash across the top of my screen when wide open, as soon as I lifted it went away, it happened so fast I couldn't read it...anyone know what it says?

N
Dec 11, 2021
Truckee, Ca
I have been running 91 non ethanol on my boost. Unfortunately the closest station to me is 75 miles. Fortunately for me I burned all 30 gallons and we’ve received 6-8’ of snow here shutting the freeway down ?
I need fuel and I can only get 91 ethanol in town. So I was thinking of mixing it with some race gas (available in town as well) Does anyone recommend how much I should mix (what octane to achieve) Thank you

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
I have been running 91 non ethanol on my boost. Unfortunately the closest station to me is 75 miles. Fortunately for me I burned all 30 gallons and we’ve received 6-8’ of snow here shutting the freeway down ?
I need fuel and I can only get 91 ethanol in town. So I was thinking of mixing it with some race gas (available in town as well) Does anyone recommend how much I should mix (what octane to achieve) Thank you
Part of the problem with ethanol is it is a leaner burning fuel and creates more heat.

Run the sled in ethanol mode. Add 2-3 gallons (not going to hurt anything running more race gas) and I bet it'll be fine.

Squirreler

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2018
I also saw a red banner flash across the top of my screen when wide open, as soon as I lifted it went away, it happened so fast I couldn't read it...anyone know what it says?

Go into vehicle settings and diagnostics and is should show up but will possibly clear when display is shut off. Mine way just yellow banner on top of screen when I had moderate detonation but cleared form diagnostics section when I turned display off. I set the sled to non premium ethanol mode and couldn’t get detonation to replicate again. And I was running fresh premium not ethanol but we all know how much fuel can vary nowadays. I dumped a couple litres of av gas and also couldn’t get detonation to replicate on premium mode
2c5ee88e856bddc63abfc569ef3fe449.jpg

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I’ve only got about 15 miles on it but I keep getting this “moderate detonation detection” warning banner whenever I hit about 40-50 miles an hour. I’ve barely ridden it nor had the terrain to open it up much. Any thoughts on what that could be? Thanks in advance.
Steady throttle cruising or to the bar stabs?

Premium Features