• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park Riding Conditions 2017/18

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Ha Ha yeah, hanging out at Ponds.. great joint, just dont buy any gas there, I think they fill there tanks every other year whether they need it or not :face-icon-small-sho
Stopped at Elk Creek to top off before we went up, people were looking at us like we were stupid, said to me where ya goin with those?! Man folks just dont understand die hard sledders

Last edited:

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
Coming up Wednesday

And recommendations of where I can get my wife and kids out on some trails, not too worried about off trail riding as I know the conditions are thin. Really looking for where to park. I'm somewhat familiar with the area but if you can direct me to a trail name off the trail system map that would really help.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah Big Springs is about it, went into Black Canyon Saturday, pretty sketchy... Yale Kilgore area is all sagebrush. If something big doesn't happen in the next week or so, the lodges here are gonna be in trouble. I dont even have six inches at my house, we did pick up an inch or so today, with predictions of another 3 or so Friday night...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Friend of mine has a cabin around Sawtelle. He said about a foot by yesterday afternoon.
plot

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Well, we finally got some snow yesterday. Picked up about 10" at my house, and the hills about a foot. It's clear and cold here this morning, about -5* Expecting another 3-6 inches tomorrow night into Saturday. A couple more of these and we'll be back on track. Thinking there may be enough down low to start grooming around I.P. anyways hopefully.

IMG_0354.jpg

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Been a while since I updated this... been busy with the holiday's, besides judging from the circus of rigs at Big Springs last Saturday, the cat's out of the bag. We have around 18-20 inches at the lots. That pic was taken 12/22. Forecast for the next couple of days are all over the map

IMG_0355.jpg

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
This past storm Thu. & Fri. was a bust here.. Picked up a few inches up high, nothing much to speak of down low. Yesterday was pretty windy. The snow gauges up high are showing the snow is settling down pretty quick. The lot's are full, however, with the snow levels so low, down in the caldera, many seem to be going higher to look for snow, getting pretty crowded up there... Have fun

BTW if you take your 8 yr old kid up high on a totally inadequate sled, dont just leave him stuck in the middle of a meadow in three ft. of powder, so you can huck around like a douche, while he's sitting there miserable. Not a good way to introduce our youth to the sport

IMG_0363.jpg

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Man, I thought you guys were going to be still digging out based on the forecasts. Bummer when those doozies totally pass by! Hopefully another hits the bullseye soon.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Listening to the weatherman here will make you neurotic. That two feet we got, wasn't even an advisory posted, were supposed to get 2-4 inches. I quit listening to them, You get up in the morning and you got what you got

iplocal

Always looking for new mountain riding partners!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2015
Island Park, ID & Mt St Helens, WA
sad snow

Agreed, the weather forecasters in E Idaho try their best but they are forecasting for such a wide varying area (Plains, mountains, etc) its tough to get it right. I live on Henrys lake in the winter and we have not even made it out to Idaho yet for the season because the snow is so unremarkable so far. I keep checking my security cameras everyday and....nothing. Keep doing the snowdance!

Premium Features