• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HORRIBLE END to a great day and a new sled…

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
I was also down that road myself.Bought it back from insurance company and DMV contacted me and sure enough salvage title ,not that will make a big difference at all if you keep it.For some reason I thought I read where someone else had bought it.Good luck with the rebuild.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Not to derail, but I just bought a used car with one of my daughters last weekend. To help build her credit up, we financed despite the option to purchase outright.
There were a lot of vehicles that were "branded" title cars. Likely to not have any issues for the remaining life of the car, but there is that uncertainty that devalues the vehicle. It appears that lenders often don't loan money on "branded" title cars so this creates a cash only sale, usually. After speaking with my insurance company, the industry usually tacks on roughly 20% on to the premium for these vehicles as well. Also, to get full coverage insurance (I know, poor guy mentality) there would need to be documentation of the damage and then the repair work to show the process. This seemed like too many unknowns for me so we elected a "clean" title car.
In my digging, a "salvage" title is issued for a vehicle that is not roadworthy, usually deemed a parts-only from then on and may be similar to a sled but I'm not sure. A "branded" or "rebuilt" title is one that has gone through a rebuilding process and inspected to be roadworthy, not sure how this works for sleds. And a "clean" title is one that has not had any major damage reported (being totaled out). These titles are printed on status specific colored paper for easy identification at the DMV.
I second the opinion that your insurance company would be taking steps to show your sled will have a damaged title, but what exactly that looks like for a sled, I don't know. I would imagine your resale value will be affected since you aren't typically a "ride it till it dies" guy.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Why do people title sleds? What's the point? I know your supposed to or at least the powdered wigs want their cut, but what do you do with that piece of paper? You don't title a lawnmower and ya ride that too.
We need to stop the overreach

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
shows proof of ownership which is handy in case of theft, etc. went to revy a coupla years ago and the border guard wanted to see both registration and title.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Got all the little stuff bolted back onto the sled yesterday.
Tomorrow the front and rear bumpers will come off.
New Skid Plate, New Bash Plate, New Front Bumper, New Rear Bumper.
And that Gawd Awful looking extended glove box with all of its associated internal electronics will get re-attached.

Should be back to new on Tuesday and ready to ride for the rest of the season!!:)

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Not all states have titles for sleds or atvs. In MN we just have registration cards. So there's nothing to show if a sled has been totalled or not. So I'm wondering, say if I bought the sled from Christopher and registration it her in MN then sold it to someone that lives in a state that has titles on sleds if it would get a new clean title?

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Why do people title sleds? What's the point? I know your supposed to or at least the powdered wigs want their cut, but what do you do with that piece of paper? You don't title a lawnmower and ya ride that too.
I don't usually title my Dirt bikes, I just keep the MSO.

For whatever reason when I buy sleds here they don't really give me the option to not title/register it and they send the DMV paper work in when I buy the thing. But supposed to have the plate on snowmobiles here ( oregon ).. maybe thats why.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Just a word on using the MSO instead of registering the sled.For some reason someone stops you in a title state and you can’t prove you paid the sales tax because ,that is why some don’t register them,you can get hit for tax fraud .Or if you get a non resident sticker to put on your sled and the wrong law enforcement official asked to see your drivers license and they don’t match ,same outcome .

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta

I have been stopped at a trail hard and asked for my registration, its way cheaper to register than it is to pay the fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Togwotee,Heber City,Pinedale Wy.Forest service cops.They like to check your registration.Just my experience in the past.
Can only think of one time that I was stopped while riding for a check.
And that was several years back when Idaho, Montana and Wyoming all got together for a one day PUSH to check everyone riding in the greater Island park / West Yellowstone area.

I got stopped several times that same day as I crossed back and forth between states.
As soon as they saw the yearly decal they were done though.
Never asked to see any documents or paperwork.

Premium Features