• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HORRIBLE END to a great day and a new sled…

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Was a hell of a great day of riding.
Then just a mile or so from home going around a corner with my sled on my trailer for perhaps the fiftyith time, I suffered a CATASTROPHIC failure of the trailer side plate where the sled is bolted in…
3dc2a754dabc68385f39d5469535f447.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Several of us lifted the sled and rotated it back onto the trailer, all the while it remained BOLTED to the trailer

W
8e32535c96e0813702b4ae538c9b1810.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Great snow picture for sure,were you at Island Park?or somewhere near there? Hope you can get parts or Insurance coverage ,depending how deep the damage went

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Sorry for what happened.
I got some questions.
I am confused at that setup.
Do you really have a u-bolt on the spindle?
Is that all you do to secure the load?

Get urself some super clamps or equivalent so u can quickly clamp both skis down. Then, get another clamp for the rear skid or strap it down with a ratchet strap. Do not attach a strap to the bumper. Always secure the unsprung portion of the load. Let the suspension float.

Always secure ur load for the worst scenario. Even inside an enclosed trailer.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Never seen that style bracket used that way, always had a rod that goes through to center and ties both skies. So much more leverage keeping that far ski secured too.

Also…
Now I see why you need tougher covers.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
wow i never seen a tie down system like that before. i bet your heart sank when you looked in the mirror. i almost lost 2 sleds off the back of my deck in the dark going 80 mph thru livingston and hit 60 -70 mph wind gusts and got to bozeman and the sleds slip back 2' and the super clamps were all the way to the end of the ski loops. the skis were bent way forward and tipped to the side. the skis were so close to slipping out under the clamps and exiting the deck. now i always strap the backs down too

Premium Features