• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Have you owned a turbo sled? POLL

Will you or have you owned a t/sled

• I will own one but do not at this time

Votes: 66 23.1%
  • I have owned one and will NEVER go back to one

Votes: 24 8.4%
  • I have owned one and will buy another some day

Votes: 169 59.1%
  • I will never own one due to all I have heard

Votes: 27 9.4%

• Total voters
H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Have you owned a turbo sled? would you go back? This poll is for 2/stroke

Seems there is a lot of guys trending away from these sleds. I can only presume the advanced new chassis with light weight have surpassed the hassles of tuning a t/sled.

Last edited:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Decided not to build one this year. Still on the fence on whether to 872 or turbo one next season. How well work goes this summer is pretty much the determining factor. More hp will happen one way or another, just don't know how much yet.

J

jds

Mar 13, 2008
duluth mn.
Went with a TM8 last year. Absolutely love the sled. Started out as a pump gas but going to add aux injectors this weekend for more boost. The sled is a blast to ride and can't wait for even more power. Hopefully doing a pro climb turbo next year.

L

LuckydawgAK

Feb 13, 2011
Aurora, CO
Sorry Himark, I voted and then read this is for two strokes. I own and will own again a four-stroke but would never turbo a two stroke. I don't know if you can delete me out of your survey. If it were included in the title I wouldn't have participated or next time I will read the first post.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
1 Turbo Nytro
1 Supercharged Nytro
Will probably be adding 1 Turbo YamaCat Viper as well.

Will NEVER go back to normally aspirated on the 4 stroke side.

If I was buying a new 2 stroke, I WOULD BOOST IT.
There is NO doubt that they work, and some of them work VERY WELL.
But it does seem like they need MOAR maintenance and have a much shorter life span after they have been boosted.
So long as you accept that, then why not?
Altitude is a power thief, it steals your horsepower, but thats where the best snow and the best riding are.
And the only way to get it back is through boost.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I think that I could see myself doing another turbo project at some point.

I absolutely loved my TM8, but I sold the turbo kit off it recently because its still basically a 10 year old chassis and after spending a season on my Pro the M chassis, as capable as it is, still rides like a sherman tank. I learned an awful lot from doing my TM8 build, and that will definatley carry over into some do's and don'ts for my next project.

If polaris ever gives us a real motor, I can see myself doing a turbo Pro RMK project ...

but this seasons mods for the pro revolve soley around clutching, I'm going into this season bone stock on the motor.

Maybe some day I will do another turbo project ..... time will tell. there is nothing more fun than a nicley tuned turbo sled .... but yeah the rumors are true, its 3x the maintenance and time to get them that way and keep them that way.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
It's hard to say, I liked my turbo pro a lot, but I also liked my 200 hp n/a motor a lot. Each has its own advantages/disadvantages. If I rode a 4 stroke they MUST be forced induction, its really not about the way you get the power but rather the good old power to weight ratio, I like some where around 2.2 pounds per hp, that will do anything pretty much anyone would want to do on a sled. So given this figure around 190 hp or so at 6000 feet on my pro is a fun ride. However the power always comes with a price, and that price is shorter life/ more maintence. The real kicker comes into effect now that the current sled crop we have are VERY good out of the box compared to even a few years ago, so really you kind of need 2 sleds, bone stock and a modded one. If you ride a lot, 1000+ miles a year (mountain) you pretty much are going to have to rebuild the motor every year be it turbo or modded n/a. I really like the snap and grunt of a well tuned n/a motor, and I've pretty much ridden every known turbo kit out there. I also love the massive pull from boost as well. Its really just up to the way you ride and what you like. I will say that (no disrespect) many of todays younger riders really have never ridden a true 200+ hp n/a 2 stroke, make no mistake these motors were beasts, on my old edge carbon chassis with a slp race 903 it would take 12 pounds of boost on my friends intercooled boondocker dragon to run equal ( at cooke city, 8500 feet or so) This is with equal weight, and trust me we raced all the time in every possible situation. Now that being said the 903 was 100% c-14 race gas and lucky to get 500 miles before rebuild..lol turbo was/is much more reliable, easy to build and probably 1/2 the cost.
So theres my opinion on the whole mess...theres no real answer just whatever you like, and remember this, the second you add power from stock you start to shorten the life and increase the risk of a issue. I'll add one thing more, in todays world there is no easier/cheaper way than the turbo kit to add huge power increases to a sled (well other than a shot of NO2..lol) :face-icon-small-coo IMHO

S
Nov 28, 2007
Pence, WI
!n 1991 I bought a Middlesex turbo package for one of my 89 Indy 650's. After following all the instructions and replacing a blown piston (3 different times) I took it off and sold it. They never said a word about BOV's then. Imagine my surprise the first time I rode it ( and at a grass drag) it didn't slow down when I let off the throttle at the end of the run.

My 2nd one was an 08 Polaris FST LX. The wiring harness was replaced under warrantee. 32 miles after the repair the return oil line came off and took out a crank bearing. Seems in order to replace the harness the engine was lifted.

I'm not saying I'd never own another, but in 06 I thought I'd bought my last sleds and since then I've bought 8 more.

Now I'm 99% trail rider, 73 years old, think I'm on my last 2. Fuel mileage currently is my main objective.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
"If you ride a lot, 1000+ miles a year (mountain) you pretty much are going to have to rebuild the motor every year be it turbo or modded n/a."

You need try a different brand. :face-icon-small-win

S
Nov 28, 2007
Pence, WI
"If you ride a lot, 1000+ miles a year (mountain) you pretty much are going to have to rebuild the motor every year be it turbo or modded n/a."

You need try a different brand. :face-icon-small-win

Well my mountain days are over (I think)and after 40 years and 50 Polaris's I switched to 2 SKIDOO 4 strokes (non turbo -----currently)
Last season was 3006 miles flatland. Only sleds I ever rebuilt were blown up ones. Usually have been replacing them before they needed rebuilding.

Have about 20 inches on the ground right now in Hurley WI. 46 inches YTD and It's -8. Put on 53 miles Tues checking out my newly acquired 13MXZ XP 600ACE.

Snowcross races here this weekend @ Blackjack and I feel for those guys with the current temps. I showed -13 @ 7 a.m this morning

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Own a M8t 3500 miles with only very minor issues. Working on boosting the Proclimb 800 now. I see myself quitting the sport before going back to NA.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I have been riding with a bunch of turbohounds for the last few years, they keep telling me I need one because they think I would ride the hell out of it and more than likely love it but I have a blast on my Poo Pro 800 stocker. I feel you have to draw the line somewhere. I ride 2,000 to 2,500 miles a year and want to maintain my 4 year warranty. Supporting kids in college, trying to put a few bucks away for retirement and not having to purchase race fuel are all reasons I haven't gone Turbo. I used to run a high compression Big Bore and purchased $2,200.00 of race fuel in one season at roughly $7.00/Gallon. Yikes!!

J
Apr 14, 2008
Turbos

I will be riding my 7th turbo 2stroke this yr. I think there great and each yr get a little better in some way. I don't have much experience with high miles due to new one each yr. at this point planning on having turbo for yrs to come.

M

M8Freerider

Feb 15, 2010
Surrey BC
Sold my TM8 and bought a 2013 proclimb LE and messed around with it all year trying to get it the way I want. Great sled but I bought my 2010 TM8 back. Its an absolute blast and yes its more maintenance but once you have one ur done... The best scenario is what 2XM3 said - a stocker and a mod sled. Tough to do these days...

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Currently on a TNytro, but came off of a Tm8. I enjoyed the cat, but was looking for something differnet. I'd own another 2 stroke turbo. Hell ideally, a nasty turbo sled, and a bone stock 2 stroke would be perfect.

Premium Features