• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E start on Catalyst

H
Dec 4, 2007
Going to snowcheck a catalyst but have never had EStart is it worth it,cost isn’t much but how much of a weight penalty is it over manual start thanks for the info

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Going to snowcheck a catalyst but have never had EStart is it worth it,cost isn’t much but how much of a weight penalty is it over manual start thanks for the info
E-start is better than pulling a rope 20-30 times a day.

Get a lithium battery and shave off at least 10 lbs.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
my dealer said he took off all e-start components and they weighed 18.5 lbs....light weight battery saves 8 lbs, light muffler will save 12-15 depending on what one you get....he further said the e-starters have caused very few problems....sometimes pull starting (especially cold) can be a real bitch ..... i put an e-start one mine

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I ordered mine with estart first time for me. I think it will be something I wished I had long ago. If I don’t like it or there’s problems you can always take it off. I was told it weighs 22 lbs more and you can save 10 lbs with a lw battery.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I like how that sounds.
You should change your screen name….

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I pull started my 800 all day. Got on the demo sled this afternoon and hitting that e-starter was fricken awesome. I was so close to ordering the base 858, but really happy I ordered the blue one with e-start and the attack shocks. The gauge will be nice, so much more info on it. The attack shocks are sweet also. The soft setting ate up the bumps on the trail. Medium setting was great in the meadows. The base gauge is a huge step back from the current ascender gauge. They should have just stuck with that as the base gauge.

H
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks for the feedback the 850 matryx is easy to pull over easier than what I remember my 2020 800 cat to be so guessing that 858 will be considerably harder than the matryx especially when it’s cold.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Your cat was hard to pull?
My daughter pull started her alpha at age eleven when she inherited it from her mom from divorce.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Thanks for the feedback the 850 matryx is easy to pull over easier than what I remember my 2020 800 cat to be so guessing that 858 will be considerably harder than the matryx especially when it’s cold.
The Polaris is easier to pull than the 800 C-tec for sure. My riding partner has one and we trade sleds often. According to A/C they have changed the recoil on the 600 making it around 40% easier to pull. I can only assume that they have used the same system on the 858 visually the 600 and 858 look to have the same recoil. You wont really know until you pull one though.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think i would go estart either way. weight is centered and won't notice it. You could put a lightweight battery if you want but i don't believe you would notice the difference with where it's located on catalyst. I wouldn't have done it years ago either. I've had some awkward angles trying to start a sled on the side of the mountain. So nice to just hit a button.

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
If you capable of pull starting I would say no e start. Pulling the rope 20-30 times a day not that big of deal. Less to go wrong, less weight, rule to remember pounds equals pain. I have my boost down to 512#s and wish it was lighter it’s a 165 with k mod skinny 5.5 and a pile of titanium parts, helium hood and a bunch more. It’s easier for me to buy light weight parts vs not eat. The new catalyst will get the same treatment as the boost. In my mind pulling the rope is much easier than throwing around an additional 10-15 pounds all day. Especially once you have avy pack and gear on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features