• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gear ratios on the drive belt ?

P
Dec 15, 2018
I picked up my new sled yesterday and man she sure is sharp. I watched a few videos on the catalyst but iam not a 100% gear head and know exactly what’s going on. I figured i needed to learn the basics first before going out and was trying to find a change the drive belt video. Then I heard you can change the gear ratio by changing the position of the pulleys? Any one know in the know and can explain to a dummy how that works and when and where it’s beneficial? Unfortunately we’re having a bad start to the season with hardly any snow (of course) so I’ll have some time to mess around with the sled before we go ride lol. Sled is really sharp and I was surprised that there’s a new gauge too ? I’ll try and set her up for my weight today with the shocks and go through it trying to learn . Need to mount my ski rack and Munster and off we go . Hopefully it’ll be a better machine for me and I’ll magically be a great mountain rider lol. Just curious about the gear ratio and pulley thing thanks

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
you need a different pulley but you can adjust the tension for the new pulley by rotating the bearing behind the top pulley.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Oh well that’s embarrassing! I misunderstood stood that pretty bad!
I have a real dumb question. What’s the accessory wire on the battery for? It looks like a standard male /female two pin connector but straight up to the battery? You happen to know where the fused accessory wire is? I have a heated bag I want to wire . My 22 was kinda above oil fill but I couldn’t find one today.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Congratulations on your new ride. I think you may become that better rider you want to be with this chassis. As far as the gearing goes you need to replace both gears but not the belt at least on the gearing I could find. The top bearing sits in a eccentric that has 2 positions . If you look at the top gear you will see three screws around the top half of the gear. Those screws hold the eccentric in place. If you remove the screws you can then turn the eccentric to the other position and the belt will be loosened turn it back and tension is set. This can be done in either position. Meaning if you change gearing your tight and loose position may be opposite. The system was designed to run this way. It may sound confusing but it is really simple just something new in this application. If you go to a parts book you can see the parts and sometimes that makes things clearer. Enjoy your new ride and please give some ride reports thanks.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
Congratulations on your new ride. I think you may become that better rider you want to be with this chassis. As far as the gearing goes you need to replace both gears but not the belt at least on the gearing I could find. The top bearing sits in a eccentric that has 2 positions . If you look at the top gear you will see three screws around the top half of the gear. Those screws hold the eccentric in place. If you remove the screws you can then turn the eccentric to the other position and the belt will be loosened turn it back and tension is set. This can be done in either position. Meaning if you change gearing your tight and loose position may be opposite. The system was designed to run this way. It may sound confusing but it is really simple just something new in this application. If you go to a parts book you can see the parts and sometimes that makes things clearer. Enjoy your new ride and please give some ride reports thanks.
did you find any other gears available to buy?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The youtube video I posted in the track swap thread shows how the eccentric works to tighten/loosen the belt. Factory ratio on the mountain sled per the parts schematic is 24/63 or 2.625. Basically the same as the old chassis running 19/50.

Catalyst Riot is showing 27/60 or 2.222. I would not run that unless boost was involved.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i was thinking of being able to swap the top sprocket for higher gears at low elevation and not have to touch weights but if you have to change both sprockets thats a no go. i live in ND at 1600 feet but ride out west.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
i was thinking of being able to swap the top sprocket for higher gears at low elevation and not have to touch weights but if you have to change both sprockets thats a no go. i live in ND at 1600 feet but ride out west.
The eccentric only moves 0.050 so you will need to change both gears

Last edited:
Premium Features