• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Common XP issue and maintenance!!

Thread Rating
3.00 star(s)
R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
How are your etecs starting when its real cold out. It was about 4 below up at the mountain over new years, I went out that morning and tried starting my 09 600 etec and wow, I thought I was going to have to go get a friend to help me pull the rope. I seriously thought the motor was locked up or something. After about 4 pulls like this it finally got better and then after about the 8th pull it started. It did the same thing the next morning also. Any ideas. My 2010 summit 800 ptek started a heck of alot better both mornings.

S
Jan 6, 2011
oil cap

2009 XP's leak coolant from most of the large clamps. Mine leaves a small green spot on the snow every night. You will need to remove Skidoo clamps and install the old style hose clamp. I only have one clamp thats seeping. Its the one under the fuel tank.

2008 XP, thought I would throw this out. The oil tanks leaks from the cap. Makes quite a mess. I would need to check but replacing the cap with a new one MAY be the fix. Its been changed on the 09.

I might get laughed at for this one but I switched my gas cap with my oil cap and problem solved. I can roll r over to get unstuck and not fill my engine compartment with oil. Stupid but it worked.

I

idaho ride

Nov 7, 2010
WASHINGTON
2009 XP's leak coolant from most of the large clamps. Mine leaves a small green spot on the snow every night. You will need to remove Skidoo clamps and install the old style hose clamp. I only have one clamp thats seeping. Its the one under the fuel tank.

2008 XP, thought I would throw this out. The oil tanks leaks from the cap. Makes quite a mess. I would need to check but replacing the cap with a new one MAY be the fix. Its been changed on the 09.

i almost took the sled in to for a warranty check. you just saved me $130 in fuel and alot of time. many thanks. :face-icon-small-hap

I

idaho ride

Nov 7, 2010
WASHINGTON
How do you check ski alignment?

handle bars straight,
loosen both tie rods,
tape measure 8" front and back of the bolt on ski.
correct miss alignment with tie rod nuts.
sit on sled, realign if necessary
remeasure with tape in same points
looks good, is good
enjoy.

M

mim

Nov 17, 2009
sandpoint ID
having problums with my o9 xp 280 miles on it and it keeps shuting down when im riding it, no paticular order when it dose gages, light, go haywire and then it beeps shuts down for a split second then its fine the dealer cant figer it out thay have checked the wireing harnes and fuses, its not throwing a code, its about to have a mager acsident:face-icon-small-dis any ideas thanks.

I

idaho ride

Nov 7, 2010
WASHINGTON
thanks ill give that a try.

how much POW was there, i didnt have this problem the first few times i rode but when i hit the deeeeeep powder, it kept shutting down on me beepin/gages going nuts when i was sitting around idle. i would clean off the intake and off she went. it was also VERY boggy in the deep snow if i didnt stop and clean the foam off. she still gave me enough power to turn down hill and wipe it off, and i know this is not THAT big of a deal but i will be installing a different airbox, and hopefully it wont do that crap.
:face-icon-small-hap

not sure if that helps but thats what i got

Circus Midget

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone have part numbers for the heavier rear springs or know what sled to take them off?

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
Pushing antifreeze

that is happening to me and im gonna do what they said and change the clamps. god i love this forum.

I checked my clamps and are ok, it definately pushes out the over flow until it's down to about the low line on the tank and then it quits! any suggestions ??

X
Sep 22, 2008
WARM UP

The "warm up" scrolled arcoss the screen on my 2011 Summit X 800 etec when I was riding. Took it to my dealer and they figured out the wire on the oil pump was broke. Fixed it and now everything is good.

S
Feb 15, 2011
Also thought of another one. Check the bolts holding the Y pipe on as I believe it is still an issue of them coming out.

this is a major issue that i am quite shocked the pro's at doo wont warranty, i have 1600 miles on my sled and all but two bolts broke off the y pipe, causing a whole motor rebuild after i sent the mono cylindar into a machine shop to install heli-coils!!! very disapointed!!

B
Aug 14, 2009
Pemberton BC
Bog

Wondering if anyone has a solution to the bog problem when jumping some xp's. Not sure if it is a dpm problem or small float problem but its going to get me hurt if i cant find a solution. Thanks. Brent.

K

kraut

Dec 6, 2009
fuse issue

I just bought an 08 ,one of the fuses keeps blowin out, what do they put power to?:face-icon-small-dis

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
valves

Is there a link for cleaning valves.Had sled at dealer,valves were stuck,they are saying i do not ride hard enough(BS).Sled is a 011 600 etec 700 miles.Can not buy a manual, back ordered yet.

Premium Features